tonka500

Tyre Razor Experiences?

Hello,

Anyone got or used a Tyre Razor tyre truer and what do you think of it?

Like the way you can do wheels on the axle and also plastic rims which seems to be a limitation of the other style truers like Scale auto.

Thanks heaps!

Andrew

The Scale-Auto style truers will give better results, and are definitely faster, but I love my Razor...

I rarely upgrade to alloy wheels, so it's perfect for me.

If you do order one, I would recommend getting an extra pulley for both the axle and motor to be able to run dual belts.

I've found that it stabilizes the axle a little better that way.

Never thought of that Rusty - another sound bit of advice.

Thanks heaps Rusty

Awe Schucks...

I don't have a Razor but I have a home made truer that works on the same principal so this may work on a Razor too. Get yourself an O-ring that is the same length as the belt but that is too big to fit in the groove of the crown wheel and then you can true tyres on axles using the crown as the pulley instead of trying to squeeze a pulley in there as well.

8fe12c3c-ef2e-4126-8fe7-f94ad5d706d7_zpslxxlfyv9.jpg

Edited by Wobble

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Had the Razor for a few years now.

I did purchase it because it could true plastic wheels on the axles.

I have used it to true all tyre types, on either plastic or metal wheels.

Great piece of equipment, well built and I for one would recommend it to anyone wanting a tyre truer.

Quality at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

I got one the other day from the maker Jon Sanders scrjon160@aol.com razer 3 spare sanding blocks spare belts $235USD shipped

Any further updates on peoples Razor truer? I have realised that I do need on. As I have found you can not just attach new tyres and run on RTR cars, you need to round the tyres off.

Armchair Racer is retailing the Razor Tyre Truer close to $300 without a power supply. Researching power supplies I have looked at a youtube video for the Tekpower TP3010E Switching Power Supply. Looks like an ok PS.

I guessing if I am going to spend $130 AUD on a PS I should really make sure it can have multiple uses rather than just power the truer, again any suggestions?

I use my bench power supply to run my truer. I have a spare one I use to run a tyre treatment / conditioning station. I use that spare one to run my motor RPM checker jig as well (not that it gets much use). One supply could easily be set up to do all three jobs.

My main advice would be to get a variable voltage power supply. That's the key.

Podiums are for short people.

Most valuable bit of equipment on my bench is my tyre razor , had it 4 years or so used most weeks and never misses a beat , slotmadmac is right variable voltage power is the way to go

My young fella turned the dials too far on my power supply and pretty much stuffed it.

I now use an old phone charger power supply ($0) and this little item pictured (approx. $4 off ebay).

The power can be controlled from around 0 volts up to 17 volts and does the exact same job what my PS used to do.

31053115408_533274a2d0_o_d.jpg

Sorry can't remember the exact name for the variable control but I had seen it here on Auslot, a link was put up by Phil K.

cheers

Matt

The DC controllers are on EBay. Just search for Motor Speed control. Check the Amperage,they come with various Amperage, I think about $5 for 5 Amp up to about $14 for the 40 Amp.

I am even using one on my MIG for the wire feed control.

Edited by kalbfellp

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Does anyone in Aussie carry the 1/32 axle pulleys for the tire razor?

Check out Armchair Racer in Sydney, here is the url for the Razor Tyre Truer and other related items:

https://www.armchair...-box/tyre-truer

Here is the suggested/recommended power supply also from Armchair Racer, anyone got one of these and if so how is it?

http://www.armchairr...-25amp-0-16-vdc

Variable-Voltage-Power-Supply-PWR-MP3802-25amp-0-16-vdc.jpg

Compact size, high current, variable output and fan cooling make these the ideal power supply to run your slot car track or for your bench. They are protected against thermal overload and short circuit and will display a warning LED in the event of a fault condition. Current and voltage are displayed on separate backlit analogue meters.

We recommend this Power Supply for Digital Systems as the voltage is limited to 16v - digital chips cannot take high voltage.

Specifications:

Input Voltage: AC 90 to 125v or AC 200 to 240v inside selectable (Supplied for Australian Use)

Power Output: 360 Watts

Voltage output: 0 - 16VDC Variable

Maximum Current Output: MP3802 DC 16V 25A - DC 13.8 30A - DC 12V 30A - DC 10.0V 30A - DC 5V 32A - DC 3V 35A DC 2.0V30A - DC 1V 5A

Ripple: less than 9mVp-p at rated load

Output voltage regulation: Less than 1%

Dimensions: 147(W) x 165(D) x 55(H)mm

Protection:

1- short protection: it will reduce the output voltage down to 0.1v Amps down to 0.4Amps and the warning led will light up when short condition remove it will automatic restartthe power supply to normal condition.

2- overload protection: same as above

3- over temperature protection: MP3802 has two stage over temperature protection.

Output current: MP3802 Max Dc24v 6A DC16V 12 A DC12V 15A DC5V 17.0A DC3V 17.4A DC2V10.0A

• Model: MP3802
  • Shipping Weight: 1.5kgs
  • Manufactured by: ELECTUS

stupid forums... won't let me insert images nor can I find the information how to do this... oh well. Try the url to go to Armchair Racer direct.

Edited by Johnno

Hi Johnno. Just use Postimag. Works fine and free. Load photo into this first, copy, close Postimag then open AUSLOT and Control-V to same using image import.

Hope this helps. Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

• Upvote 1

Hi Johnno. Just use Postimag. Works fine and free. Load photo into this first, copy, close Postimag then open AUSLOT and Control-V to same using image import.

Hope this helps. Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Hi Chas, thanks for that. Would be nice to be able to do this all on forums though, just another step to do. Not hard just annoying. Wonder if it might be advisable for this to be pinned in its own locked thread, Posting Images in Forum Thread/s perhaps an admin might look into this or enable / allow image posting in the forum software.

Thanks once again Chas

Check out Armchair Racer in Sydney, here is the url for the Razor Tyre Truer and other related items:

https://www.armchair...-box/tyre-truer

Here is the suggested/recommended power supply also from Armchair Racer, anyone got one of these and if so how is it?

http://www.armchairr...-25amp-0-16-vdc

Variable-Voltage-Power-Supply-PWR-MP3802-25amp-0-16-vdc.jpg

Thanks for that. I did see that Armchair were carrying the pulleys. They look like old stock from Area 3 rather than Tire Razor ones to me- but regardless I was reluctant to pay $35 + freight to buy one.

On a more positive note I have 2 of the power supplies you asked about. They are a great bit of kit and nice and compact. The only issue I have had is that the on / off switch died on one after 10 years of very regular use on my tyre lathe. A replacement switch was just a couple of bucks and a doddle to fit. I recommend them. Hope this helps.

Edited by slotmadmac
  • Upvote 1

Podiums are for short people.