New Controller Time, Need Adjustable Brakes, Options Please??

manimmal

• 3 months later...

....So i managed to make smoke come out of the pm2110, borke the brake pot. Any clues on which one to replace with? It seems armchair and tbird don't have the pm one in stock, but do have a difalco one, i wonder if this would do the job or make more smoke. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Chris

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

The PM brake pot is an unusual size,19mm diameter with a 1/8 shaft.

I do not think you will manage to fit a standard 25mm pot on the board.

The problem of te brake pot failing seems to be reasonably common.i have replaced 4 within our club.

I usually keep a spare but only just used the spare.

Looks like an order to PM if Chris O has no stock

Professormotor 2110. About $185 or so from tbird, enough adjustability to drive just about any 1/32 rtr car without complex rules or algarithms to understand. My three lane track now has three of them and whilst they all have their own character each has a good range of adjustment and suits both me a rather experienced racer and a newby alike.

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

• 3 years later...

Well, I jumped in and managed to locate a TruSpeed MTII Pulse  Width Modulation (PWM) controller in Australia from Atomic Slotcars, pricing as of July 9th 2020 was $299 + Plug + P&H contact Johnny at Atomic Slotcars directly on +61 416 095 583

Simple intuitive controls on the MT II make it easy to use and quick to adapt to your racing style, car, and track conditions. 

Features

• Dual Polarity Power Option (Current rating of 8A peak and 3A running), 
  • Plug-in Replaceable Power Drive Board, 
  • Supplied with the V.10 Contact Board with multiple mode options, 
  • 36 step wiper element and 9 point contact Stainless Steel Wipers, 
  • PWM Drive and Brake Control, 
  • Switchable Power Coasting Feature allowing simulated Braking for cars that stop quickly even with no brakes applied, 
  • Brake adjustment, 
  • Acceleration Control, 
  • Sensitivity adjustment, 
  • Trigger return spring tension adjustment, 
  • User-Changeable Single and Double Finger Trigger, 
  • Fuse for over-current protection, 
  • LED (Power ON and goes off to show full power delivered to your car), 
  • High Current Positive (positive wired tracks), 
  • Launch Button, 

MT-II-Pulse-Width-Modulation-PWM-control     MT-II-Pulse-Width-Modulation-PWM-control     MT-II-Pulse-Width-Modulation-PWM-control

Edited by Johnno
added pricing details & Atomic phone number

Johnny has them for AU$299 - He's a cuzzy to Mike & Tom Doo, other  Lee et all from Orakei club. Nice guy

• Like 1

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

2 hours ago, munter said:

That looks great...you dont mention price

PM'd you mate and also edited the original post.

Well with three hours of using the controller omg.... what a huge difference, such a pleasure to use and race with, don't even know I am holding the unit besides being connected to one spot... if only they were wireless... food for thought perhaps Steve? regardless once I started playing around with the brake setting and removing magnets from cars that I thought were already magnet free they track was a pleasure to run.

Thanks to Paul who turned up and got things moving along and suggestions, appreciate them all and your time and experience.

Hi Mate,

if you just tinkering around with cars at home,  and maybe a few hours at a local track then is doesnt matter what you buy, but if you are into racing on a regular basis then you need to really try as many controllers as possible in your price range.

I know some guys who have got 5 or more different controllers,  and they still not happy.   try as many as you can, and you will know the right one in minutes.  some just 'feel' right.

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

Hello everyone

A few months ago I bought a DS0084b controller which uses the PWM technology which applies to a lot of the 'up market' controllers currently available.

This was quite a step up for someone who, just a few years ago, was still using MRRC and MRC 15 ohm thumb-driven controllers. (as I was reminded recently by a fellow racer!)

I'm very happy with the 'DS' and use it at all four of the Hobart (Tasmania) tracks where I race every 2 - 3 weeks (COVID restrictions permitting).

However, I have some reservations about using it at the  tracks where I race fortnightly in my home town of Launceston for the reason explained below :

The notes accompanying the DS0084B include the following : "This Controller is not designed for use with External Brake Regulators. Please uninstall any external braking device before operation."

One of the Launceston tracks has individual rotary switches (external braking devices??) that are used to control the amount of braking on each lane, which I assume was a facility provided for those who use controllers that don't have adjustable braking. The other track doesn't seem to have any braking installed at all.

My questions are, (1) do I risk damaging my controller if I use it on the first track even if I have the rotary switch turned to 'zero', and (2) does PWM magically create a braking effect even if the track wiring doesn't have braking installed?

Obviously I'm reluctant to risk damaging the expensive DS controller so I'll be hanging on to my Professor Motor device for local use.

Den

15 hours ago, big den said:

Hello everyone

A few months ago I bought a DS0084b controller which uses the PWM technology which applies to a lot of the 'up market' controllers currently available.

This was quite a step up for someone who, just a few years ago, was still using MRRC and MRC 15 ohm thumb-driven controllers. (as I was reminded recently by a fellow racer!)

I'm very happy with the 'DS' and use it at all four of the Hobart (Tasmania) tracks where I race every 2 - 3 weeks (COVID restrictions permitting).

However, I have some reservations about using it at the  tracks where I race fortnightly in my home town of Launceston for the reason explained below :

The notes accompanying the DS0084B include the following : "This Controller is not designed for use with External Brake Regulators. Please uninstall any external braking device before operation."

One of the Launceston tracks has individual rotary switches (external braking devices??) that are used to control the amount of braking on each lane, which I assume was a facility provided for those who use controllers that don't have adjustable braking. The other track doesn't seem to have any braking installed at all.

My questions are, (1) do I risk damaging my controller if I use it on the first track even if I have the rotary switch turned to 'zero', and (2) does PWM magically create a braking effect even if the track wiring doesn't have braking installed?

Obviously I'm reluctant to risk damaging the expensive DS controller so I'll be hanging on to my Professor Motor device for local use.

Den

I would think with the pod turned to zero is shouldn’t be a problem but you would need to be 100% positive you had checked before plugging in. There is no resistance when set on zero, our race group used them years ago. Would hate to see you blow a controller up.