New Controller Time, Need Adjustable Brakes, Options Please??

manimmal

Hi all. So my favorite Parma economy 25/45 with brake pot ran out of smoke, again, and honestly i think she's spent. I'd be happy with an old school resistor throttle again however apparently i'm a dinasaur.

I've tried electronic throttles before and whilst i'm not a huge fan regarding feeling or lack thereof, it seems this is where i need to be looking. At this point i start asking questions;

If i want to spend under $200 on an electronic throttle (preferably well under!) with adjustable brakes what throttles might i consider, how much might i be spending and from where might i be ordering?

Information, opinions welcomed.

Thanks,

Chris

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

For non-mag, timber tracks the Slot It controller is hard to go past in the <$200 category IMO. Variable brakes, throttle sensitivity, traction control, along with the ability to reduce the voltage supplied to your lane for over powered motors is brilliant.

I've had a $350 DiFalco, and have gone back to the $180 Slot.It controller, it gives more adjustment across a wider range of motors/classes..

Caveat - our home tracks are 1/32 scale - 3 & 4 lanes, short straights and plenty of corners. For larger tracks & 1/24 scale, others might have differing views.

The Slot It is the best value But a few of our guys just could not come to grips with all the adjustments or did not like the lack of feel in the trigger,so they have reverted to the PM 2110, it has adjustable brakes and sensitivity.

Best to see if you can get a test run with both on a club night and see what you prefer.

But a few of our guys just could not come to grips with all the adjustments or did not like the lack of feel in the trigger,so they have reverted to the PM 2110, it has adjustable brakes and sensitivity.

I hated the Slotit controller...a big bag of knobs that did bugger all.....but recommend the PM 2110...mine has been going strong for six or seven years now.

Get the correct polarity and voltage range though. Mine is + and 10-15 volts.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

the PM controllers were all the go when I started racing with my group - we have a wider range of controllers are being used now - a few chaps have an ACDPro ($300 + but have seen 2nd hand ones for around $200) and a couple have TruSpeed controllers which come from the UK and are around the $180-200 mark. They seem to go ok - I was planning on getting one until I picked up an ACDPro for a good price.

I also did not like the slot-it controller

I now use a old PM with no brake/attack adjustment and I do a lot better with it

do need to get a better controller to keep up with the others

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Hey buds, if you want to try all the different controllers, come down to Dandenong on a Friday night, I've got most of them, try them out.

The SlotIt is ok, but the lack of feel still puts me off.

The difalco is a great controller, and you can get one for a good price at slotraceshop.nz, I'd go for the Neo 301, different resistor modules can be fitted for any kind of car you'd ever want to race, I make my own.

PM controllers have a crapy shaped trigger, that's all I'll say about them.

Once you master one electronic controller, they're all the same.

Edited by espsix

I can second the true speed.

I have had both the slot.it and the truspeed.

There wasn't much wrong with the slot.it, great to tinker with all the knobs, but it is very bulky and felt heavy.

The truspeed is lighter and smaller and you can get a transistor or diode version. they are about $150 landed depending on current exchange rate.

Both slot.it and truspeed come with single or double finger trigger.

I have used the PM 2110 a couple of times and really liked it.

The 2110 is positive polarity while the 2112 is negative, otherwise same controller.

Again they are a little large and it would pay to plait the cables other than that they are good.

There is another one I have not sure of the brand though, it is old but works well.

Paul Stevens used it to win quite a few races in the 2012 APC champs, hope he doesn't mind the name dropping.

If interested PM me.

Hope the other advice helps.

Edited by ZeGas

As the Slot.it is a PWM controller, it can be a little 'violent' for some people.

A stiffer spring is required in it for most people to be happy though.

The Professor Motor controllers are transistor based, and as such, feel a lot more like the Parma in terms of power delivery.

However, the case / trigger shapes don't agree with my hand.

I have multiple of both are they are equally great controllers.

Yes the slot.it can do more, but, more people feel comfortable with the 'familiar' feel that the PM gives.

Oh, and the difference between the 10-15v, and the 12-18v controllers is just a slightly higher value resistor in the sensitivity circuit.

If you have the adjustable controller anyway, you are possibly better off getting the 12-18v one as you can adjust it up to the 10-15v 'level' anyway.

[Edit]

I have the slot.it's that have been offloaded / upgraded / repaired from 3 other posters in this thread...

lol.

Edited by shadow_rusty

Aint that the truth...

The PM trigger is much better when it is reshape do, I tend to round off most of my triggers for more comfort.

You are better to select a controller to suit the voltage you race on, as buying a 12 to 18 and trying to use it on lower voltage does not give the same sensitivity range, talk to Espsix about this!

I have had a go with a MBslot controller and was impressed with it

all the controls are on a box that is down the cords a bit so you are only holding the handle with the trigger only which has its pluses and minuses

plus -very lite and smooth

minus- the controls aren't on the handle so a little more difficult to make adjustments while racing

but would be something you would get used to after a while

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

I have used a Professor Motor controller for a couple of years now from 16D's to the various Plafit,Scaleauto,BRM,etc motors and have found the trigger to be comfortable and the controller very reliable and I like the fine tuning of the sensitivity.

I like to keep it simple. I've tried a few different controllers and in the end they all perform well. Recently I have moved away from 1/24 and started enjoying 1/32 plastics again, pulled out my trusty 25 and 45 ohm parma ecconomy controllers and off I went.

I'd stick with the ecconomy controllers and save some money , they do the job just fine.

I think you've been on the right track all along........

I'd recommend a Slot.It controller if I knew what all the knobs and buttons are for. I just use the trigger and the brakes knob on mine and it works fine. The cars go and they stop.

Truth be known, I use it pretty much like a handle with an off/on switch and some wires connected to it.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

I'd recommend a Slot.It controller if I knew what all the knobs and buttons are for. I just use the trigger and the brakes knob on mine and it works fine. The cars go and they stop.

Truth be known, I use it pretty much like a handle with an off/on switch and some wires connected to it.

Turn up the green knob and it's a on off switch with a 'soft start' feature...

^^I was wondering where that one was going...

My feelings from previous experience are essentially confirmed by your replys, thank-you. When I was a club racing regular the slot.it was disliked by many, and loved by some, which i expect not only to do with lack of feel but with the complexity of the beast also. I prefer simplicity so the PMTR 2110 will be the go i think, as although i did prefer the feel of the difalco when i tried Doug's, the wife and i have a joint bank account :( I may end up getting a slot.it $139 scp201ai job from Armchair Racer, but only if my hunt for a 2110 is too painful financially.

Can anyone point me to a store that has a 2110 available? I see the pm website has them for $130us however the $66 p&h seems a tad excessive.

Thanks again guys,

Chris

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

I've had a Difalco for about 5 years now and have found a rather peculiar by product of using the Difalco, that is I get calluses from using the controller!

The inside of my thumb has developed a rather hard bit of skin and for all the world is similar to calluses I got when on the tools back in my building trade days.( I'd often have to use a golf glove when racing) leaving myself wide open to smart a***d comments from club mates.

Now I have a SlotIt controller its so nice to use, at first a little vague, but now I'm used to it, its so comfortable in the hand.