Routed Track Power

Muninjitsu

Hi I am designing my own home built routed track. In preparation what power supplies are people using? Do you power each individual lane from separate power supplies or use the one for both. My design will only be two lanes about 8 to 10meters.

There are many power supplies but this one from the Land of the Chin seems good value.

http://www.aliexpres...1764155414.html

I have something else on my track but the variable volts and ten amps for 58USD is a good deal IMHO.

https://www.surplust...ry-power-supply

There will be many suggestions from other members I am sure.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Output from the power supply to the controller is 12v

Have a look at Armchair Racer's website they have some power supplies listed

I would recommend a 5-20v power supply (in case sometime in the future you decide to run Carrera /124 cars as they like 18v)

I went for something like this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.X12v+regulated.TRS0&_nkw=12v+regulated+power+supply&_sacat=0

The 12v one I got, has a trim pot on it, so actually goes from 10.5v to 13.5, but how often do you change your track voltage, so just buy one within the range you want, then set and forget.

And my one is 30amp, that's 10 amps per lane, more than enough.

If you don't have enough amps, when one car goes full power, the other cars slow, and when a car brakes for a corner, the other car gets a power boost, usually causing crashes.

18v at 5 amps is not as good as 12v at 30 amps.

Oh, and at the price, you could buy one for each voltage you wanted, and it would still be cheaper than a variable supply with volt meter.

I've also got one just for my tyre truing, fitted with a $3.50 posted PWM voltage adjuster. ;)

Edited by espsix

Good point there pm. We ensure the controllers can't be pushed into a 240v outlet either by using the low voltage round earth pin plugs. Other groups use female connectors which is equally effective in preventing the controllers being inserted into typical 240v outlets. It's especially prudent if you have kids in the house that could pick up a controller and push it into an outlet. Jaycar has the bits I am talking about.

Cheers,

Glen

Not for a rally track

Good point Gazza :)

The inside lane on my tightest hairpin is about 110mm radius, 220mm diameter.

For a road track, I wouldn't want to go any tighter, or it changes the overall flow and feel of the drive.

And that power supply 32couple linked to, is a good solution, economic, and will do all you want.

I wouldn't be keen to have a power supply that can output more than about 15 volts, as a lot of electronic controllers are desidned to work up to a certain voltage, and some could be damaged by 18 volts - eg some Professor Motor ones.

Sounds like you may need to do some reading up on wiring of tracks. Basically though, the output of the DC supply should go through and relay for power control, - triggered by a switch used as a "call button", or by the timing software and linked to the timing system, and then from there, onto each controller station.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol: