Sign in to follow this  
GRUNZ

Auckland Digital Slot Racing - Adsr

Hi All

I am introducing you ADSR, a small club that focuses on Digital slot racing.

We are currently racing on a ~22m Scalextric Sport track, with 7 lane changers and double-lane pitlane.

track%20v3.jpg

Here is a picture of the actual track

newtrack-pic.jpg

We use a Race Management Software called RCS64 that gives us fuel/tyres/weather simulations during the race.

We have been running scalextric GT3, but now we started a new class based on Carrera DTMs:

20160410_114612%20(450x800).jpg

I have put a spec together (you should have seen it on Mark's news letter) and it is giving us very close racing like the real thing.

The track can be converted in less than 5 min in running the oXigen system, the digital solution by Slot.it.

I think we are the first club in NZ to run this system in a competitive manner. We are still learning how to fully take advantage of it.

For this, we are running a Carrera Cup, using the fantastic NSR porsche GT3:

20160513_103430%20(800x450).jpg

We run on Saturday morning and we have controllers and cars to loan to visitors. So if you are spending a weekend in Auckland and would like a go at digital let me know.

In the near future (let's say next couple of months) I would like to organise a small enduro for teams running slot.it group C. We will provide the cars (two porsches vs two Lancia LC2), chips and controllers. The idea would be to have 8 to 10 racers organised in 4 teams and run a 3 hours races. We will be using fuel and tyre simulations. This means that it will be a no stop race: drivers will be changed when the car is in the pit for fueling up and/or changing tyres. I am planning this as a Sunday event to be run at the end of June/beginning of July.

It would be really cool if drivers from other clubs could join us or event enter a team. Do not worry for cars/chips/controller: we will provide all of that. Just be there and race! ;-)

Again if there is any interest let me know. You can use this thread to express your interest.

cheers

Cheers

G

"I am an expert at the top of my field when mowing the lawn".

Welcome to Auslot Gio.

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Hi GRUNZ.

Welcome to AUSLOT and your great initiative with the digital track.

Would be good to have a go sometime but no idea when. I live in New Plymouth.

Where in Auckland are you situated? Do you use magnets in cars?

Regards Chas Le Breton

Thanks Guys for the welcome.

We run all our cars magless and do the same type of set-up/preparation as when we run them on wood.

For scalextric and carrera cars, we use urethane tyres (glued and trued).

For slot.it cars we usually leave the stock C1. They provide adequate grips. N22 would be a overkill.

For NSR, at the moment I just use the stock tyres (5230) which are super grip. The porsches are set-up in AW configuration using the babyking motor.

On a plastic track with steel rails, this motor provides some magnetic down force but is not as strong as a magnet.

I am based near St Johns close to the Oraki Group - where I do my analog racing. Actually, most of the members of this digital group are Oraki boys!

Cheers

G

This is from today DTM racing:

21/05/2016

Quite rainy and stormy today in Auckland for our third DTM event.

5 of us could make it today, Mike D, Colin, Paul, Jan, and of course myself. Arturo and Mike T called it off.

We started off with some practice to warm up PG tyres on our DTMs. We did two sessions of 20 min each to fine tune the cars before qualify.

For qualifying, we decided to have all the 5 cars on the track with track call in place. With a 5 minute session, this means that you have to try your best every lap.

Weather was sunny to damp so some of us started with soft tyres. Also most of us put 30% of fuel, Mike D went for 40%. Usually in qualify I start really slow to try to build my flow.

But with 5 cars was quite difficult given the track calls could happen in the middle of a fast lap. Let's say that this adds to the excitement of a good qualify session.

Jan's Audi was flying today and he manged a 7.813 around the 3rd minute into qualify. Happy with his result and almost out of fuel he took his car into the pit to sit out the rest of the qualify.

And then it happened. With one minute to go, I managed a 7.733 ;-)

With less than 45 sec to go and an empty tank, Jan decided to let it go. Colin got close to the 7 sec barrier with a 8.039. Paul's merc went down to 8.310 and Mike D Bmw was last with 8.333.

With our grid ready we moved into the Race 1.

Race 1

Weather was cloudy moving to sunny conditions. All of us went for inters except Paul: he decided to go for hards and brave the track conditions.

I started in front of the pack but on the external lane which is not my favorite. Jan had a good start as well but I was trying to hard to get ahead of him for getting back into the inner lane.

Too hard...so I crashed just after half lap and lost some positions too. CARP!

I got back into the groove and manage to fend off Colin. Jan managed to crash a couple of times so Colin and I had our chances to pass through.

However, I managed to crash a couple of more time getting down to only 2 damage points with 10 min of race to go. Not good.

I decided to back off and take a more conservative approach. Fuel was getting low as well given that I had two reductions in tank size.

Weather was also sunny now and the track was drying. Time for a pit then.

I put fuel, hard tyres and repaired the car. Colin was in the pit just after me. Paul had to change his tyres early on because his hards wore out too quickly on the damp track.

When I got out on the track, Mike D was leading the race but he had to fuel soon enough. Jan had too.

So went back on the lead with a car fully repaired and 5 minutes to go. It should have been easy to bring Race 1 home. Nope!

I managed a couple of crashes and a couple of more were due to nerfing. So I had one damage point left and 1 min to go when disaster strikes: out of damage point.

Got into the pit, while Colin went on the lead. While I had only 5 minutes left for repairing the car, Mike D got through the S/F line.

So by the time I joined the race for the last 10 second I was third and manged to bring in some points.

Results: Colin, Mike D, G, Jan and Paul

Race 2

Grid set in reverse order, we looked up at the weather: cloudy going to rain in the middle of the race to easy off at the end.

This time Paul decided to follow the pack and all of us put on Inters.

I had a good start and decided to take it easy and stay out of trouble. The pack moved pretty close so at every crash the everyone positions kept changing.

In Race 2 we usually need two fuel stop and one tyre change. I was one of the first to get in for fuel, followed by Colin. Given that the weather changed and the track was getting wet I decided to put wets on.

By the time I was back in the race I was last! Really?

Anyway, the others started also getting in the pit and I managed slowly to gain positions. By the time all had done tyres and fuel I was on the lead.

Around 6 min from the end, the rain eased off and the track started to go from wet to damp. I was also low on fuel. Time for another pit stop.

Put Inter on and a 70% tank and out on the track again. Colin was a couple of laps ahead. By the time he went into the pit, he managed to miss the in sensor and deslotted in the pit lane.

He took his car and put back in front of the sensor but by the time he was starting his pit stop procedure I was back in the lead.

Mike D was second, Colin third with a couple of laps behind. Jan and Paul closed the read ranks.

Secure with my 3 laps ahead of Colin, I started giving some advice to my team mate (Mike D). He had one damage point left, running low on fuel (25%) and Colin on hot pursue two laps behind.

With 2 mins to go, I advice him to slow down and keep his car on the track. Colin was gaining and was on the same lap as Mike D by the time the race was over. So team BMW brings how full points!

Results: G, Mike D, Colin, Jan and Paul.

Bonus points on qualify: G 5, Jan 3, Colin 1

Bonus points on least damage points: 10 points to Mike D to get score only 11 damage points over the two races.

Here are the scores updated with extra points:

Driver Championship:

Driver________E1__E2__E3_____Total

Arturo - AMG__43___0___0______43

Colin - Audi__25__21.5_40_____94

G - BMW_______43__21.5_40_____112

Jan - Audi____16__12___24_____55.5

Mike D - BMW__27__15___36_____98

Mike T - Audi 0 0 0____________0

Paul - AMG____22__0____20_____42

Makers Championship:

Audi 41 33.5 64 138.5

BMW 70 36.5 76 190

AMG-Mercedes 65 0 20 92.5

Edited by GRUNZ

Cheers

G

Nice race report G man

Thanks Branco. ;-)

Cheers

G

Good one Gio and good to see you joined this crew too.

Man, there's a lot more goes into digital racing than I thought. I figured it was pretty much just about lane changing to get the hop on the other guy.

Certainly a lot harder than charging around a track helter skelter for 3 mins.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Wobble. once you get the hang of digital it is absolutely brilliant. It's sooo much more than just racing round and round.

Wobble. once you get the hang of digital it is absolutely brilliant. It's sooo much more than just racing round and round.

yep, I see that, I find it hard to concentrate driving for 3min races let alone adding other stuff into the equation. I'd end up running out of fuel or getting a flat or whatever else can go wrong.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Thanks Guys.

Glad to see so much enthusiasm.

Our digital races a pretty long-ish compared to analog. For instance, for the DTM we have race 1 that is 15 min (which is around 100 laps on the current track) and race 2 that is 24 min (around 160 laps).

There are more variable to consider: most important is traffic because in digital you are absolutely not allowed to touch the other cars. The only exception is nerfing on the side because that is much more difficult to control - although I know that there are guys that do that on purpose but not on our club.

As I said, most of the guys racing at ADSR are from Orakey so analog through and through. At the beginning they were overwhelmed by the amount of information to take in and process but now they are very good at it. Actually they complain when we move to oXigen (that is basically analog with lane changes) they want the simulation ;-)

One other important aspect is that pit strategy is crucial: damage your car too many times and you might end up in the pit for repairing it while the others get to win (see my Race 1 today). So the best strategy is to keep you car on the track and slow down a bit. It is not about being the fastest all the time.

I said this all the times: I love analog but digital is the closest thing to the real racing - or at least what I believe real racing is ;-)

Edited by GRUNZ

Cheers

G

Hi Gio

Trent here from New Plymouth.

Myself and one or two others from here would like to visit you sometime to have a go if that okay with you.

I have been interested in digital for sometime.

I am seriously thinking about selling my routed analogue track and building a routed digital track using the Slot It system.

Regards

Hi Trent

of course you are more than welcome! I think a routed digital track is the best solution. And if you have space and resources, I would go for a three-laner. Have a look at http://:https://www.facebook.com/Scorpius-Racing-League-WA-762251847185179/timeline?ref=page_internal

That track is scorpius, but the three lane width gives a very realistic look.

You guys let me know when you are planning to visit and we can organize something.

If there is enough interest, we might organize a large oXigen event on a bigger track.

I have several option in mind: Slot.it group C, Slot.it LMP, classic sports cars (like slot.it and NSR), and GT3s.

The idea would be to have an endurance event (between 4 and 6 hours) in teams (2 to 3 persons). To start with we would need 8 teams.

ADSR will rent a hall to build a large track. We can lend oxigen controllers and chips to participants (there will be of course a fee for this). Or If you have an analog slot.it controller then we can provide you with an oXigen cartridge.

You guys have to bring the cars and then we will put the oxigen chip before the free practice of the event.

The event does not need to be organised here in Auckland...maybe Napier would be easier given that is more central and renting/lodging there would be cheaper.

If you guys would be interested in participating in such an event let me know and I will start a new thread to discuss this.

g

Edited by GRUNZ

Cheers

G

I would make an effort to attend

Hi Branco, just to attend or also to race? ;-)

I am thinking about something in November this year....

Cheers

G

To race

Hi Gio

We would be keen from New Plymouth for a Team Race.

Either Auckland or Napier no problem as a venue

Cheers

Hi Gio

If you did chose HB I'd be keen to join in too. Could possibly help track down a venue. I know of a couple of options. PM me if you want me to investigate.

Cheers

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

Awesome set up! I am just starting on my track - very small compared to yours - 3.5m x 1.5m... love Digital!

He'll be Komm'in 'round the corner when he comes...

AuSlot_zpsi7z6mmju.jpg

I would be keen to if you come down to HB

I am sure plenty of the other Bay boy's would be in as well

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Did you say "bay"?

Bay is what us locals call HawkesBay

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Race report 04/06/2016

After the failure of the last week, I was really keen on getting a good racing event. I was expecting a grid of 5 cars today but in the end only 3 of us could make. Did this take anything out of the fun? Not at all!

DTM racing is really exciting until the last second of the race!

Today the weather was really cold and the tyres needed a bit longer to get into the right temp. So the 20 min practice was really important for cleaning up the track of any dust and warm those tyres.

On the track we had: Jan on his red demon AUDI, Mike D on the black fury BMW, and me on my white trusty BMW. The tank sizes after last racing results have been updated to: 330 for Jan, 300 for Mikde D and 270 for me.

With less than 4 drivers on the track, again half points will be awarded.

Qualify

The qualy was a 5 min with the three of us on the track. We had damp conditions going to rainy. We all started with inter tyres and 40% of a tank. Jan with his Audi immediately started cracking fast lap. I was taking it a bit slower as Mike. During mid qualy and low fuel, I managed a decent lap at 7.8xx but Jan beat it no time. My next fast laps to try to beat Jan's time failed due to me deslotting or someone else. So I was almost running out of fuel with 1 min to go. Just a quick splash and dash and out again. However, the rain was pouring and the track was getting wetter so my Inters were not playing up too well. I had to be happy with second place while Mike D was the last on the grid.

2,5 point for Jan

1 point for me

0,5 point for Mike D

Race 1

Weather was again cloudy to rainy. We all started with Inters. When the lights went off, Jan took the lead on the outside lane, while I followed him close on the inner lane (my favourite) with Mike D behind us.

The three of us were quite close for most of the initial part of the race. Basically, Jan and I alternated on the lead of the race mainly because one of us would fall out of the track. Mike was racing conservatively but was not far behind us. Jan car had the biggest fuel tank but man if it was fast. However, he was also deslotting a lot which gave me a bit of gap to took a half lap in front of him.

At around half the race mark (7,5 min) I was running on fumes while Jan was still with 40% of fuel on his car. The weather also changed to rainy but the track was still damp. I decided to go in for a splash and dash and wait a bit longer before committing on my next set of tyres. In the boxes, we only have one set of spare tyres so putting on the wrong ones will have dare consequences. In the process, Jan took the lead but I still managed to get back in before Mike.

After two initial deslots, I managed my damage points so I didn't push too hard. Rain was still coming and my Inters were wearing off pretty quickly now. So when it was announced that the "track is getting wet" I made my move and pitted: after starting the fuel procedure I put on wets. Jan was still in the lead but started to paying the power of is Audi with wrong tyres. He also decided to go in for changing tires and given that he was also running low on damage points he decided to repair his car as well. In the meantime, Mike kept going, braving the track conditions. I finished my pit and came out last.

While Jan was in the pit I managed to lap him getting second behind Mike. However, Mike still had to pit. After a couple of laps, Also Mike went into the pits with just few laps ahead of Jan.

After his pit stop, Mike joined in pretty close to Jan engaging in a very good battle. I was ahead now of both of them, just cursing around with only three minutes left on Race 1.

Mike and Jan had their fun for getting the second position. In the end, Jan got the better of Mike and all the rest is history.

Race 1 results: G, Jan, Mike.

Race 2

Weather was cloudy, going to rainy and easing off towards the end of the race. Again all of us started with Inters tyres.

Jan had an excellent start going from second to first on the inner lane. Mike kept the outside lane but went second.

I moved from the outside to the inner lane and trying to get my rhythm. Jan was on fire. He keep going without any deslotting for at least the first 30 laps.

Mike and I had trouble to keep up with him. We started chewing up our damage points without closing the gap with him.

On top of this, rain came pretty quickly this time. I kept second position but with 2 damage points left, an almost empty tank and rainy conditions I decided to pit.

I got going with the fuel and put on wets. Then I went for repair which costed me other 12 seconds. When I got back on the track I was last and with a good number of laps to cover.

However, Jan initial spotless driving started fading away and damage points started to disappear from his dashboard. Soon he was out and went in for repair.

My gap started to close on him and when he was back on the track we were pretty close now. However, he didn't change tyres or fuel up and with the track wet now his inters were not up to the job.

The rain stopped and the track was going back to damp conditions. Both Mike and Jan were still on inters although running low now. Mike had too many delsots and ran out of damage points.

Both of them went back in the pit, Mike for repairing, fuel and tyres, and Jan for changing tyres. With the track almost damp now Inters were the best choice. My Wets not so much. But at this stage I had enough laps in front of them for a quick stop to change tyres and put on some fuel. I guess that Jan saw an opportunity there so he started pushing hard but maybe was too early for his Inters which costed him more damage points.

I got back on the track still on the lead but only a couple of laps in front of Ian and Mike. They were again battling for position, but this time Jan got the worst and run out of damage points for the second time.

WIth few minutes before Race 2 was over, he went for repairing his car. By the time he was back he was 4 laps behind Mike and 7 laps behind me.

Race 2 results: G, Mike, and Jan

Bonus points on Qualy: 2,5 for Jan, 1 for me, and 0.5 for Mike D

Bonus point for least damage points: 5 points to Mike D (Again!!!)

Driver Championship

Driver E1 E2 E3 E4 Total

Arturo - AMG 43 0 0 0 43

Colin - Audi 25 21.5 40 0 94

G - BMW 43 21.5 40 26 138.5

Jan - Audi 16 12 24 17.5 73

Mike D - BMW 27 15 36 20.5 118.5

Mike T - Audi 0 0 0 0 0

Paul - AMG 22 0 20 0 42

Makers Championship

Audi 41 33.5 64 15 153.5

BMW 70 36.5 76 40 230

AMG-Mercedes 65 0 20 0 92.5

Looking at the Driver Championship, I have to start to worry about my teammate!

Cheers

G

Race report 11/06/2016

What a race!!!! Although Mike D (he is in Nelson for the NSR classics race and testing the new Thuderslot Lola) and Mike T (working every weekends now) could not make it we had a full grid.

Our new entry is Nika, 9 years old and fully digital inside! He had done only a bit of practice last week with the full simulations in RCS64 and for today races he was perfect in the pits (his average pit stops were way better than other more seasoned members).

Qualify

After the usual 20 min practice we went in for the qualify session.

This time we tried a 10 min qualify with all of us on the track. With track calls enabled it meant that your fast lap could be interrupted by a car going off - like in the real thing!

Weather was cloudy but easing on sunny. All of us started on inters.

As expected there were lots of track calls giving that all of us were trying hard to get that fastest lap. Jan got there first, followed by me.

Then Colin got the fastest lap for a while. However, we were really far away from out 7.6xx of last week.

I got into the pit because I was almost out of fuel. Put back 30% of a tank and waited there for a while to have the others back into the pit for re-fueling: in this way I could have the track with less traffic and less chances of track calls.

So when a couple of cars pulled in, I went out. Managed to get a fast lap around 8.1xx something. But Jan beat me to it. The track was also drying up so I decided to pull in again, put some fuel and Softs, and wait again for other to pull in the pit. By the time I got off the pit, Jan had broken the 8 sec barrier travelling at 7.979.

With Softs on I started pulling fast laps and with 2 min to go I manged a 7.957. Jan did another fast lap to improve his previous one pulling a 7.967 but no cigar.

All the other guys staid well above the 8 sec barrier.

By the time the qauli was over this was the grid: me (7.957), Jan (7.967), Colin (8.252), Arturo (8.317), Paul (8.456), and Nika (8.884).

Quali points: 5 to G, 3 to Jan and 1 to Colin

Race 1

Weather was cloudy going to rainy. All of us started with Inters.

I had a good start staying in the front for a while with Jan quite close. The first 1/3 of the race (more than 30 laps) was really close with 5 racers within the same lap.

I had the smallest tank of all (265) while Jan had a 330 tank. Almost through half of the race I was in the red zone while he had more than 40% of fuel left!!!

The weather had not changed yet so I decided to pull in and just do my fuel before committing to change tyres. Jan of course took the lead.

At one point the weather changed and the track started to get wet so I decided to put in Wets.

Jan stayed on Inters until the end of the race. He had only to do a dash&splash for fuel but didn't need to change tyres.

Arturo had a good race with Paul with both of them finishing on the same lap. Colin and Nica closed the grid.

Race 1 results: Jan 25, G 18, Arturo 15, Paul 12, Colin 10, and Nika 8.

Race 2

We put the car back on the grid with reversed order from Race 1.

The weather was again bleak with chance of rain in the middle of the race. All of us put on Inters.

Nika was in front of the grid and by the time the light went off he took off a wee to early which meant a stop&go penalty.

I just took it easy from the back of the pack and I gave some instruction to Nika on how to start the stop&go procedure. Poor kid lost a couple of laps sitting there waiting for the countdown to start.

Colin was having a good race and leading for a while. Jan managed to sneak through traffic and getting second. I was also overtaking people helped also by them shooting off the track.

I was again short of fuel and the weather was still on cloudy. I knew rain would come but not yet. So I pulled in and put some 20% of fuel just to be able to stay on the track a while longer.

After a while it started to rain and the track was getting wets. At the same time my Inters were almost gone. I decided to pull in and do fuel and tyres.

Jan was ahead with still plenty of fuel and his Inters were still around 50%. Colin pulled in as well and put on Wets and repaired his car.

When I went out, I managed to overtake Colin while he was still in the pit. But Jan was too far ahead. After only 10 laps in rainy conditions, the rain stopped! WHAT!!!????

Jan was still nursing his first set of Inters while the track was going back to damp conditions. However he was running low also on damage point.

When he pulled in for doing his tyres and fuel he repaired as well. I managed to close the gap and went on the lead.

However the gap between me and Jan was less than a couple of laps. Of course my Wets started to wear faster and faster while Jan Inters were getting a good grip on the damp track.

With 8 minutes to go, I was again out of fuel. My Wets were still ok so I decide to just fuel up. Even I did a quick stop, Jan took the lead.

Colin had a bit of offs and was still third but with a good gap between us. So got back on the track as second.

With 2 minutes to the end, my Wets were almost gone so I had to pit. Jan was a couple of laps ahead of me. Colin still 6 laps behind as third.

I put on my only set of Inters and come back as second. At this stage Jan had only to do a dash&splash and was still 5 lap ahead of me.

Nothing much changed till the end, with Jan getting full jackpots, me (again) second, Colin third, followed by Arturo, Paul and Little Nika.

Race 2 results: Jan 25, G 18, Coling 15, Arturo 12, Paul 10, and Nika 8.

Bonus point for least damage points goes to PAUL with only 22 used damage points!

Driver Championship

Driver E1 E2 E3 E4 E5 Total

Arturo - AMG 43 0 0 0 27 70

Colin - Audi 25 21.5 40 0 25 120

G - BMW 43 21.5 40 25 36 179.5

Jan - Audi 16 12 24 15 50 126

Mike D - BMW 27 15 36 15 0 118.5

Mike T - Audi 0 0 0 0 0 0

Paul - AMG 22 0 20 0 22 74

Nika 0 0 0 0 16 16

Makers Championship

Audi 41 33.5 64 15 75 228.5

BMW 70 36.5 76 40 52 283

AMG-Mercedes 65 0 20 0 49 148

Congratulations at Jan for taking full points and outsmarting everyone else in the pits in both races.

Also good on Paul to get the least damage point bonus.

Nika: what to say, in his first race he is already able to race with the pro! ;-)

For the next race, Jan's Audi will take 5% off the fuel tank, mine will stay (as I have been taken off 3 times already), Arturo's and Colin's car will stay as, while Paul and Nika will get 5% more tank size.

All in all a fantastic race and the series with the fuel handicaps will be decided until the last minute of the last race!

Edited by GRUNZ

Cheers

G