Torana Gtr-Xu1 Build

grt

Well, after a few months work, I finally finished my first Torana GTR XU1 build, using one of Munter's excellent resin casts (thanks John, for your brilliant work).

Was a lot more difficult than I thought, as it really is a skinny body. For this build, I decided make the wheels fit within the arches so I could lower the body as much as possible. I have another cast where might try the opposite and use a wider track, as this one is still very prone to tipping over on corners, even with a fair amount of lead under the chassis. Might try moving the lead further forward to try and get the wheels spinning and sliding more.

I will load up more pics on my website shortly, but thought I'd put a few up here to show the progression from the raw shell:

Holden_torana_XU1_Build01.jpg

To building and fitting the chassis:

Holden_torana_XU1_Build07.jpg

To painting:

Holden_torana_XU1_Build09.jpg

Applying decals:

Holden_torana_XU1_Build12.jpg

Final detailing:

Holden_torana_XU1_Build13.jpg

And the almost finished product:

Holden_torana_XU1_Build18.jpg

Still need to fit and paint the wheels inserts, and maybe touch up a few places. As careful as I tried to be, I still ending up scratching the roof and boot when I was test fitting and then gluing in the windows and interior. Not sure if I needed to apply a thicker clear coat (I don't like laying paint or clear coats on too thick though), or whether I need a permanent padded work surface for the finishing touches. Am thinking of lightly sanding the roof at least and applying additional clear coat with a brush, but not confident I'll get as smooth a finish, but its a bit late now to try and mask off everything else. Anyway, lessons learnt for next time.

I am hoping for some sunny weather next weekend so I can get some good outdoor shots, as the inside shots don't really do it justice.

Cheers,

Graeme

~~~~~~

(Life is like a sewer....................What you get out of it depends on what you put into it!)

https://gtoutweb.com/index.htm

Really nice build there Graeme.

Plus one on the chassis it looks a pretty good fit.

Right height and length

Thanks for all your comments.

Haven't got any pics of the chassis, but will take some this weekend.

The chassis is a simple PCS32 adjustable chassis, from a batch of about 15 complete (albeit unassembled) chassis sets I purchased from Pendles a couple of years back, with a mix of wheel variations. Its a simple to assemble and adjust chassis that will take any standard scalextric style running gear, and suits narrow or wide bodies. Its only failing in my opinion is the front axle holder, which is positioned so close to the guide that you cannot use the standard 1cm long scalextric centering sleeve, and it has a lot of up and down movement. While this is useful for allowing the guide to sit fully in the slot, it can turn the car into a 3-wheeler and prone to tipping. I am still working out the best way to turn it into a fixed axle, once the ride height is worked out.

The wheels are MRRC RS-41 blanks (also from Pendles), to which I will fit the inserts supplied by Munter.

Regards,

Graeme

~~~~~~

(Life is like a sewer....................What you get out of it depends on what you put into it!)

Thanks for all your comments.

Haven't got any pics of the chassis, but will take some this weekend.

The chassis is a simple PCS32 adjustable chassis, from a batch of about 15 complete (albeit unassembled) chassis sets I purchased from Pendles a couple of years back, with a mix of wheel variations. Its a simple to assemble and adjust chassis that will take any standard scalextric style running gear, and suits narrow or wide bodies. Its only failing in my opinion is the front axle holder, which is positioned so close to the guide that you cannot use the standard 1cm long scalextric centering sleeve, and it has a lot of up and down movement. While this is useful for allowing the guide to sit fully in the slot, it can turn the car into a 3-wheeler and prone to tipping. I am still working out the best way to turn it into a fixed axle, once the ride height is worked out.

The wheels are MRRC RS-41 blanks (also from Pendles), to which I will fit the inserts supplied by Munter.

Regards,

I've only got one PCS32 chassis and thought about tubing the front axle, but as you mention there isn't a lot of room because of the guide mount. My solution was to glue a small piece of 1mm styrene sheet to the outside with a 2.5mm hole in it for the axle to run in and space the axle from that to the wheel with small bits of chupa chups tube.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Hey Bram,

Thanks for the great idea for fixing the front axle, never thought of that. I had ideas of gluing or screwing a rectangular piece across the gap above the axle to limit the movement, but getting it perfectly level on both sides was always going to be tricky. Your idea is much simpler and stronger, and the hole could be easily lengthened if any final adjustments need to be made to ensure the guides sits fully in the slot. AM going to give a shot this weekend, see if it makes a difference to the handling.

Cheers,

Graeme

~~~~~~

As promised, a couple of shots of the chassis and some final shots:

Holden_torana_XU1_Build16.jpg

Holden_Torana_XU1_Orange_7_under.jpg

Holden_Torana_XU1_Orange_7_left.jpg

Holden_Torana_XU1_Orange_7_right.jpg

Only trouble the final finished shots have shown up a couple of spots where the chrome paint has worn off. I did only put on one coat as it covers very well, but as its going over an acrylic clear, might need to give the chrome another coat, as it rubs off fairly easily. But I am pretty happy with the finished product anyway, just need to see if Bram's idea will help the handling a little.

Will be putting these and quite a few more on my website shortly.

Edited by grt

Graeme

~~~~~~

Yep, definitely needed the inserts ... looks a lot better even though it looked good already. Amazing how much they can make a difference.

What size is the motor Graeme and is it a Pendles jobby too?

Edited by Wobble
bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

looks great

a finish coat of future floor polish will prevent paint wear

sets rock hard and easy to apply

you can brush it on with a nice smooth brush

plenty of how to do's on youtube

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

David I have never found that Future sets rock hard.

The Future that is available overseas is much different to what is available in our region.

In fact it absorbs moisture from handling the car and eventually becomes sticky over the years.

Testors Decal bonder or Auto Acrylic clear and a much better option.

Hey Bram,

Your tip about fixing the front axle worked a treat!. Definitely stopped the car from dipping and sometimes tipping in the corners.Although I glued the polystyrene strip to the inside of each axle mount, to make it easier to drill the holes evenly on both sides.

I also removed a cm from the rear of each of the side lead strips, which allowed the rear to slide a little more, and the 2 mods have improved the handling immensely.

Cheers,

Graeme

~~~~~~

Hey Bram,

Your tip about fixing the front axle worked a treat!. Definitely stopped the car from dipping and sometimes tipping in the corners.Although I glued the polystyrene strip to the inside of each axle mount, to make it easier to drill the holes evenly on both sides.

I also removed a cm from the rear of each of the side lead strips, which allowed the rear to slide a little more, and the 2 mods have improved the handling immensely.

Cheers,

That's good news, I'm pleased to hear it and gluing it on the inside is worth noting too.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg