kalbfellp

2016 Tasman Cup Round 2 Gotham Park

Tasman%20Poster_zpsft85lazb.jpg

Welcome to Round 2 of the Tasman Cup Proxy series.

After their round Aussie tour, compliments of Auspost, the cars arrived in Tassie last week.

Some repairs were required, Lims needed a new crown gear,Terrys car was missing one braid and two had broken body mounts.

Once sorted I managed to organise some retirees and two shift workers to run the cars at Bruces' Gotham Park track ( original Shelmore Park).

Gotham%20park%201_zpsg05x4olz.jpg

Lap length is just over 55 ft. Straight is about 10 ft long.

drivers2_zpsuxvececr.jpg

Drivers for the afternoon were myself,Rhys Filbee,John Batich and Callan Thomas.

Also in the pic are marshals Rob Golley who recently returned to racing after 42 years and Dave Gray who was one of the original HMCC members back in the sixties.

Dave Bantoft and Thomas Males also assisted and Bruce Thomas was Race controller.

Sorted%20results_zpsarly9erm.jpg

NB 1/10s not shown.

John Batich's car was the class of the field on this track with a 5 lap winning margin from Stu ( slo1quick).

lest than 1/2 a lap separated the next 3 cars,with old23,Stubbo and the grand kids all on 99 laps.But it was old23 marginally in fro

nt to take 3rd place.

DSC_0253_zpszi2cfcaj.jpg

Slo1qhick second placed car.

DSC_0252_zpsbyowdpqh.jpg

Shadow Rusty Cooper and Peter Gunns Lotus

DSC_0251_zpssspljm9q.jpg

Manimals Cooper, l,FPR's Elfin ,Local runner Dave Bantoft Lotus and ferrari1950 Honda.

DSC_0250_zpsgoe7ha3r.jpg

spoons Cooper and Gas41t Brabham.

DSC_0249_zpszoamlkgb.jpg

Lims lotus

DSC_0248_zpsuavncuag.jpg

Aquakiwis Brabham

DSC_0246_zpszwyfchrb.jpg

Terry, Viv,Charles and myself.

DSC_0245_zpsdzlbhxmd.jpg

diffinity's Cooper

DSC_0244_zpsuwzr18tu.jpg

Rossco and Dangermouse

DSC_0243_zpsdlnqwneb.jpg

Stubbo and Lenny Broke

A few local car ran in this round to see how they compared.

All 3 would have been in the top 4 placed if they had been entrants,

Edited by kalbfellp

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

The Lotus from the far north on the podium in Tasmania? With a 14K BWA motor? Amazing! :D

Many thanks to Phil and the team at Gotham Park. Congrats to John and Stu on their top o' the podium finishes. And a thumbs up to Stubbo and the Grandkids for what seems to have been quite a battle for 3rd.

Stewart/Old23

Congratulations to the pods and thanks Phil and the lads for the running at Gotham Park, really pleased with the old Lotus 24 first time i tried the little cars so on a learning curve his year , looks like more speed is needed, :)

Pleased to see the cars safe and back on track.

Happy to the see reasonably consistent times on such a short and tight track - thank you.

Maybe my spare BWA14 might be just about run in by the time the series is over! 😄

Good to see the cars back on track Phil!

Congratulations to all,

Thanks Phil,

Good to be back underway again.

Congratulations to John, Stu and Stew.

I'll post up an amended schedule for the remaining races over the next couple of days.

Alan Stubbings

Wow..... J B by a long way.... 5 laps. Well done John! Congrats to Stewart too. Really pleased to come home second.

Thanks Bruce and Phil and all the blokes and helpers for getting the ball rolling again.

What happened to Terry's car? Missing braid, broken body mounts....?

"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

Wow..... J B by a long way.... 5 laps. Well done John! Congrats to Stewart too. Really pleased to come home second.

Thanks Bruce and Phil and all the blokes and helpers for getting the ball rolling again.

What happened to Terry's car? Missing braid, broken body mounts....?

No, No, I think my car just had a missing braid, not broken body mounts( I think)

Sorry miss read that.

Must have been a rough journey with Auspost. I wonder if these boxes carrying the cars sometimes get opened for inspection by the postal carriers...

Its good to see the non entries having a run, Maybe we might see some more builds entered next year.

"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

I think from memory that is was Lenny's car with a broken mount,not sure which other car,in both cases the mounts had just come away from the body,so could have happened anytime, as the bodies were still on.

As for Terry's braid I could not find it in the case, but could have been caught in the foam packing,as his car was on the top layer.

No real problems.

Phil

Tassie Resins

Email

:(

Only way is up from here...

Thanks guys for running the round, and congrats to the front runners.

Congrats to the organisers and especially to the podiumites.

Great win there John. Amazing improvement over previous years. At least 5 laps.

Note that yours was the only car fitted with Tassie tyres so sounds like Phil has also hit the jackpot. Perhaps he should have run them himself.

For my own car looks like light is not the way to go. The top runners were some of the heavier cars compared to my lightweight.

Also looks like the deathnell of the Solabotic motor. Idea of light weight was in part to try and minimise the Solabotics motors lack of brakes. Once again its back to the drawing board.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Thanks Phil and gents. The middle of the middle for me, again... consistent consistency ;)

Neil (spoons) is happy with not coming last this time, that is something different for his t53.

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

Charles I think My car will go better with both rear wheels tigh on the axle! One wheels had a stripped grub screw thread!

I do agree that the tyres JB is running work great, they were from a test batch I did, now to remember the formula!

I will try and sort the comments and post them early next week.

Phil

Tassie Resins

Email

Thanks guys

Mid pack is fine for me

The goal is for my car to finish the series

With no problems fingers crossed .....

All feedback is all I'm interested in !!!!!

Congrates podiumites

Thanks to all involved to make the round

Possible

Rossko

Hi All

Well done to John, Stew & Stu on you results, and thanks to Bruce, Phil, the driving team and the marshaling crew for bunging on another great round in Hobart.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Thanks Phil,

I do hope my little car didn't disgrace itself with the body mount. There appears to be a floating issue (or lack of) with how I hurredly mounted it for this series - another turn out with the screw may improve it for next year, if I don't get #2 build up by then.

I am very happy with overall results - 10th in a field of 24 is better than I had expected for an entrant which basically ran as it was last year save for the swapping of numerals from 53 to 9 and a clean up under the body and around the chassis.

Compared with last year's result at Shellmore, it was only due to achieving 25 laps in one of the lanes in the 2015 series - that the little car dropped a spot in this year's effort.... consistent with the other three lanes all clocking up 23 lanes back then..... might have been the additional weight of double numerals on the body back then...

Also - I can't complain about consistency - 23 laps on each of the lanes this year. Just missing out on joining the little bunch of cars who placed ahead of me - even if Bill did more laps in some of the lanes....

Best lap time was within 0.02 of a second between years.

Thank you to all who stepped up to the task of running the event.

It now seems strange that Bill is back in Tassie - this time without me...

Australia Post - well, let's see how they perform once the Taswegian events have concluded and they make their way back onto the mainland... (not holding my breath for a direct route)

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

Here are some comments from the drivers at Gotham Park

Car 1 Good car,handles well But feels a bit tight.Better with the brakes backed off.

Car 2 Poor brakes,lacking grip, probably would benefit from a change in gearing.

Car 3 Very good car.

Car 4 Good car just lacking a bit of grip on this track.

Car 5 Very smooth, Would be better with a bit more grip.

Car 6 Slow motor and not much grip

Car 8 Class of the field on the day at this track

Car 9 Fast smooth But not a lot of grip,tyres are just starting to loose the black colour so may be old.

Car 10 Good car But a little bounce could have a tyre unglued.

Car 14 Smooth but seems to be geared wrong for this track,Would benefit from more grip

Car 16 Very Smooth,very good grip.But front wheels seem to dig in on some corners causing deslot.

Car 18 Poor grip Tippy Front wheels are hard on the track so that may be the problem.

Car 22 Problem counting laps, track car be viewed thru the cockpit! Bottom of the chassis taped over and it was fine. Fast But very tail happy.

Car 23 Smooth car Easy to drive. But a very deep guide bottoms out in a couple of places.

Car 28 Very neat easy to drive. Great race car.

Car 30 Guide causes problems with the pointy leading edge.Balance does not seem right as the car is very tail happy.

Car 32 Smooth good car but tail happy on LH Corners ( loose wheel found after)

Car 33 Rough not smooth possible loose tyre. Slow down the straight.

Car 56 Smooth easy to drive.

Car 61 Smooth drive train BUT gear hitting on the exhaust. Poor grip and a tyre partly cam off. Not Glued!

Car 64 Neat car just slow down the straight

Car 69 No brakes at all! Still accelerating at the end of the straight, making it hard to drive.

Car 78 Very poor grip and poor brakes

Car 100 Will not track straight,due to the side ways guide pivot.Also runs out on the corners. Broke a lead wire.

A few general observations:

Seems like several car have just been sent back with old tyres.

Eurethane tyres grip best when reasonably fresh.

Several car do not have the tyres glued on!

At least two car had very deep guides that bottomed in the slot,

The wedge shaped Scale Auto guide seems to give problems unless the wedge shape is rounded off.Have similar problems with this guide in Oz Rally.

Phil

Tassie Resins

Email

Thanks for the comments.

Motor is slow - was replaced at last minute with no time for running in - should be better in a couple of years time....😊

Tyres are Paul Gage XPG - surprised that there was 'no grip'. Did you sand them lightly before running? That makes a huge difference, as it does with MJK's. Also, is the guide (Scaleauto) part of the issue on your track?

Thanks, Tony (Difinity)

Hi Phil.

Have to say guilty on the old tyres. I like to get at least 2-3 years out of them so that is my rod to bear. My VRAA Cooper still managed to win first round in America on 3 year old tyres and just managed to beat Stubbo overall.

Seems the brakes on the Brabham are OK so at least the gearing and light weight is about right.

For some reason my cars seldom seem to go well on Tassie tracks although R1 was not great either.

Quite happy with mid field. Amazed though at the range of performance. Clearly there has been a lot of work done by some people.

Looking forward to rest of series.

Regards Chas Le Breton

thanks Phil - yes, guilty as charged.... last year's tyres.

They will be up for replacement on return...

I'm guessing we only replace the rears - and only the fronts if they are damaged.

I'd like to get my driveline running a bit more freely - I noted with other cars that I saw who are using the same motor, they turn over much more easily than my little effort.

It could be the alloy/brass of the RD gear crown/pinion set. I have another three sets of these.

Further, it is possible that these have been cut with an offset intended - I'll have to call Steve at RD and ask.

When I set them up and ran then in - the mesh seemed to come good once a few brass pinion teeth were relieved of their burrs. These have re-appeared after season one...

It has also been suggested to try a nylon pinion.... I don't know that Steve offers one. These sets are intended for a much smaller scale vehicle... they make life a lot easier in fitting them into our larger 1/32nd scale..... probably more so with those models where there is absolutely minimal room for a Slot It or similar crown.

Thanks again, Phil - we'll see how Bill goes at the next round.... I should be able to compare times with last years..

frats,

Rosco

Tony all the cars receive the same pre race treatment, braids are cleaned, tyres are cleaned only wth water and detergent, and the rear axle oiled.

Sanding tyres is not usually done as some entrants have gone to lengths to get a very fine tyre finish.

Ross yes the secret with these cars is very little rolling resistance. Very free bearings and smooth gear mesh and just the right front tyre contact.

I cannot comment on the RD gears as I have not used them.

Eurethsne tyres start to turn a pinky red Colour as the pigment leaches out and then become softer and loose grip. I always fit fresh tyres as a precaution as the cost is relatively small.

A lot depends on where the car is stored and heat it has been subjected too.

Edited by kalbfellp

Phil

Tassie Resins

Email

Car 100 Will not track straight,due to the side ways guide pivot.Also runs out on the corners. Broke a lead wire.

Bugger...

It ran straight and true here on several tracks, but, it does require a slightly different driving style to not get it to wobble.

I ran out of time in development, and really should of fitted springs instead of relying on the guide wires to centre the arm.

Also, given the complexity of the guide arm, is it able to be easily repaired?

If not, probably just better to send it on home...

Edit: Alternatively, if it can't be fixed properly, you could just tack a brace across the chassis rails and guide arm to lock it all up, and then run the wires the 'normal' way...

ps. Experiment has officially failed...

Edited by shadow_rusty