Wrp 2017

gazza

This is what we are thinking

The original idea of the WRP was to have a single manufacturer with a range of cars in one class, that all ran the same components making the racing close and cheap, minimal modifications to get them ready.

The early WRC cars in the SCX range worked a treat, all ran the same motor, gearing and wheels, and with the introduction MJK control tyre, the racing became even closer.

And i think that was the appeal of the WRP, it was open to anyone, serious builder and novice most had the cars and they could still be sourced fairly cheaply

Towards the end of the 15/16 season a lot of the cars were showing there age, some components were failing and parts were becoming harder and harder to find.

Replacement motors, gearing, wheels and even chassis have been suggested, but this all adds to the cost of each car build and also a headache for organisers trying to police any after market rules with all the "what about's" "what if's" and "you never said you couldn't", uniform availability would be the main concern with replacement parts

We've looked at many of the different manufacturers out there, some only have 1 or 2 different cars to choose from, most have to have major changes done.

The only make at the moment that offers all the original ideas of the WRP, plus current and future availability, is the Group B range from Scalextric

c3493.jpg c3407.jpg

c3156.jpg c3637.jpg

c3305.jpgc3267a.jpg

c3639.jpg c3494.jpg

c3306.jpgc3408.jpg

c3638.jpg c3752.jpg

c3490.jpg

c3410.jpgc3634.jpg

c3487_2.jpg

At 4 different makes it's down on the SCX variety but there's many different liveries plus whatever fantasy ones you can come up with

The initial cost should be the only big outlay, and if we use the same format over the next couple of years it will be a cheap investment.

At this stage the only modification allowed would be the replacement of the guide setup, The B-Nova mod is probably the easiest and cheapest around, or any other setup

We can still get the control tyre from MJK, so everyone will be on the same grip level

The idea is to keep it simple and cheap with very few modification, to keep everything as even as possible.

Two Scalextric RS200's were entered in the 15/16 OzRally, and performed very well against the MSC cars, both Shadow Rusty and CharlesX have agreed to share some of their secrets on the builds from both cars, which should help ease some concerns.

We hope to start opening the entries late this year, October / November, with a view at kicking off around March / April 2017

So plenty of time to start building ....... expressions of interest are encouraged

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Interesting would it be just the standard car no guide change, no motor change no components change at all only difference being the change in tyres and is that front as well as back, cost wise cars at Pendal's are £37 to £40 each not sure but suspect the 2 in the OZ historics are quite heavily modified Gary so may not be a good guide, but worth expanding thoughts on.

Hi Gazza.

Well done. Those are the same cars I have been able to find so we must be right.

I did wonder about the yellow Pikes Peak Peugot 205 but it is the same car apart from high wing.

Will be interesting to see other reactions.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

If that helps,i have had a machinist friend make sleeves from alu tube that allow slot.it guide to be fitted to the chassis without any further modification,as soon as Lancia which is on the way arrives i'll test and report.I could make them for the entire field,zero cost,post them to the organizers ,then they would post them to the entrants along with the tires

gallery_2645_1402_6823.jpg

Believe some of these cars are sidewinder as well as inline looking at Pendal's think we need more clarification and rules before we go jumping the gun , personally as in SCX would like to see a basic car being used with no mods to this that or the other apart from what we had with the SCX cars.

Count me in.

If Scalextric continue with producing inline GRP B cars you could maybe run 2 classes (A & B) to keep a bit of variety.

Great to see WRP back.

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Sorry guys I must apologise for my slackness. For 6 months I have been running a scalextric Camaro with an NSR screw in guide. No alterations needed.

P1010025_zpsnrm0tepg.jpg

P1010026_zpsplolh1zl.jpg

• Upvote 1

Already in rethink mode, Scalextric killed off half the field overnight, nothing planned for this and next year, see how we go

Haven't seen the Pug but if it or any others are in line, it's a no go, sidewinder only ..... sorry

Gary

Sorry guys I must apologise for my slackness. For 6 months I have been running a scalextric Camaro with an NSR screw in guide. No alterations needed.

Good tip branco, must try it. I've used a Ninco prorace guide but had to sleeve it.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Even elimination the inline Pug there are still 4 brands and 14 different liveries.

I think there were only 8 or 9 different factory liveries in the last event.

That is a pretty good start,and with Scalex rethink we are likely to see more livery changes on existing cars to reduce production costs.

My advice with this class is to allow 3 changes...

1. Open guide (with hosts to advise what length, depth, thickness is maximum for their track)

2. MJK Tyres (given that there are several wheel sizes here, may need to just buy off the shelf)

3. Either the SRP 16k with the stock pinion, or the stock 18k with a 10t pinion. (SRP is ~$15, pinion is ~$6)

Oh, and there's nothing 'special' about my car...

• Stock chassis / body / wheels / axles / gears / bushes
  • Ninco guide
  • MJK tyres
  • SRP 16k motor (although, the stock 18k is probably better, if paired with a 10t pinion)

Biggest trick with these is getting the body shell to float smoothly...

Well that, and jamming as much lead down low as you can... And, if you have to double it up, it won't work as well...

I believe that I've also replaced the DRP 'door' with lead

More than happy to post a pic or two up when it gets home if it will help others...

ps. I may have to find me an Audi to run...

I see no need to change the motor or pinion , the standard motor is more than reliable enough, besides it'll only be competing against the same cars, it's not as if it's trying to keep up with other makes and models, it's all about keeping it cost affective and basic.

Gary

It's not about reliability, but rather drivability.

On the tight twisty rally tracks, the 10/36 gearing will be much better suited to the 18+k motors.

That said, my first run in OzRally was with the stock 9/36 gearing.

Downside was less brakes, and no use for the top end.

Remember, the stock RX-81 motors in SCX cars are only 14-15k, not 18k, so there will be a massive jump in speed.

Would the Scaley Ferrari 308 GTB also be OK for this series? They were around a few years before this group of cars but they are sidewinders with a similar sort of chassis.

There weren't many liveries and they haven't been made for a while but a few people must have them. Mine's still unused in its box.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Don't think it was a group B car Wobble

Judging by all the different talk over here about Scalextric and the fluid situation it all seems to be in might be an idea to wait for the final outcome of what will happen with Scalextric and for it's future , still would like to know how many of the entrants in the past couple of years could enter SCX cars again as so many of us have them already ??.