2016 Tasman Cup Round 1 Southern Loop

Stubbo

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you enjoy the cars...

And if mine doesn't put a smile on your face everytime you go down the straight, then I'll be very surprised...

Good afternoon Tasmanites.

Here are the qualifying results for the first race.

2016%20Round%201%20Qualifying.jpg

The race has been run.

I am compiling the results this afternoon. They should be done in an hour or so.

Edited by Stubbo

Alan Stubbings

Just a few notes.

Firstly I am waiting for one car to arrive. I will tech that car and then post up the completed sheet. There were several cars that had minor breaches. Most were in terms of tyre width. Some were over width purely as a result of not dressing the flashing on the inside tyre wall. Some were just over so to me that is not much of a problem plus who knows there could be slight variation in callipers or other measuring devices.

Three cars were slightly out with their clearance. One was due to the body screw and the other two were just slightly under around the motor area. This did not bother me too much but other hosts will have to make their own decisions.

Otherwise things were pretty good so well done guys.

We ran three heats each of which was three minutes in duration. I ran heats 1 and 3 and Stu (Slo1quick) ran heat 2.

We felt that generally felt that as a group the cars were an improvement on last year.

The Grandkids car stopped dead in qualifying. A quick check showed that a wire had come off the motor and had to be reattached. Phil, you may want to look at it further when the cars come to you.

Max Newcombe’s car had a terrible miss in qualifying and the first heat. The miss was noticed when I first got the car but I gave it another run at Cheltenham and it seemed to go ok. It reappeared again in qualifying and the first heat so between heats we gave the motor a flush and the miss went missing and the car went much better in the two remaining heats.

In general terms a number of the cars did not handle the little twisty bit just after the start finish line. Several cars would just deslot without warning. This happened right across the day.

There were a few cars that had quite bad runs in heat 3. We couldn't figure out why but three cars in particular just kept popping out of the slot.

So here are the results.

2016%20Round%201%20Results.jpg

Edited by Stubbo

Alan Stubbings

The only thing I could spot when I prepped the car for this year, Alan - was the rear left wheel (or it might have been the right - as I can't remember which way up it was) seemed to have gained an almost undetectable wobble.

It may be that this wheel has taken a hit and because the wheel is not a tight sliding fit over the axle - has gone cock-eyed.

I'm more than happy to run with it without attention. The grubs are all secured with Loctite 262 - breaking that will undoubtedly cause more grief than simply letting it run as is.... a light sand here and there between events might make some difference - I tend to it more precisely when it comes home.

If this is the case, the issue will probably be detected in the model cornering better in one direction than the other.

That's probably all I can think of for now... and yes, I should have done more to the little car in prep than simply change the number, flush out the bushes and re-lube everything... apologies to both yourself and Stu... and to all the drivers in upcoming events who might find this a little troublesome..

Thanks for the comments... I can't think of any other reason for any instability.. unless the PG urethanes have a life expectancy of just one race season..

As the series unfolds, it will be interesting to compare times from last year's results.... if Bill's care are down, I'll need to do some work on Bill's car.. that wheel will be the first focal point.

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

Hi Alan,

Thanks to you, Stu and other helpers for your efforts this weekend. Also well done to yourself Stu and John on the result.

I'm happy to see the #4 Cooper up toward the pointy end this round, certainly a big improvement on previous years.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Congrats to Stubbo, Stu and John for their top 3 finishes. I'm surprised and thrilled to see my Lotus finish in 4th place. I feared the BWA-powered car would be overwhelmed by all the SRP16's and Solarbotics entries, and perhaps it will be at some of the later circuits, but at this track at least I'm feeling pretty happy. Are there any pics of the Cape Paterson track?

Cheers to all Downunder.

Stewart

Here is a picture of the track as it was originally before the rally track was put in.

WP_20131130_001.jpg

The Tasman is run on the middle lane. The start finish line is right under the light gantry. The track direction is clockwise. The most troubling places are the little "esses" just after the start. At the end of the main straight the corner is a little off camber and goes into a fast sweeper. The corner at the end of the straight can be a problem and also the little bend between the bridge and the finish line can sometimes be a problem.

Alan Stubbings

Lenny, Your car was a big improver from last year. The first thing that came to mind was Brokes back....but that may be a mountain too high. Just a really good car that I felt you could push hard.

Danger, Yes your car was better than last year. I am not sure of the times compared to last year but it definitely seemed way easier to drive.

Stewart, You might be right about the BWA motor later on. Because the lap is short here it may not be that great a difference.

Tony, I felt your car sits up quite high compared to some others and the higher centre of gravity is a big disadvantage on this track. Whilst the lap is very short it is a high speed lap and anything that affects the balance or flow of the car tends to be magnified here. I just couldn't get any flow or rhythm going on the second run and it kept popping out of the slot. The same thing happened with a couple of other cars also.

Alan Stubbings

Thanks Stubbo,

I did a bit of work in comparison between Bill's results for this year vs last year. There really isn't much in it - total laps last year were 152.85 against 151.95.

Fastest lap for the three heats last year was 3.274 against 3.278 this year.

What a great effort both Stu and yourself have achieved to produce such consistent and comparative times 12 months apart! well done.

I noted last year, one of your heats was run in the opposite direction.

I don't think Bill's car is that much off the mark - it will be interesting to watch upcoming events to determine if it is able to produce similar times to last year.

This is coming from a person who drives like grandma - and wouldn't even accept the challenge of one lap around Cheltenham when the car was dropped off.... I like to carry the drinks - too hot in the kitchen with so much at stake.

frats,

Rosco

Thanks Allan.

It does sit up a bit - model might be more readily if that way - I'm not sure. Simply aligned along the motor bracket.

Might be that my slight mod to the guide when I replaced the motor went the wrong way.

Setup and practice was on my three lane flowing track (look up Bonython in home tracks) so I'd have thought it better than that. Good to know though.

Perhaps might be an easier drive later on.

Cheers,

Tony

The first thing that came to mind was Brokes back....but that may be a mountain too high

Stick to your day job Stubbings!!!!! :angry::)

Just trying to square the ledger.

always the joker I see

Edited by lenny broke

Congrats to all who finished on the podium. Another well-run Tasman round. Too bad I am not able to make it to Melbourne in time to watch the proceedings and see my Lotus struggle round the track. I am not really surprised at its inept performance as I had to make a last minute change of chassis when the first one did not work as expected. The second chassis had a new front end grafted on to the original rear end and everything was screwed together and posted off without any track test. So I'm happy it was able to stay in one piece and go round the track at all! Thanks, Alan and Stu! I was hoping I might be able to catch the Tasman F1's at Shelmore but it looks like my travel schedule is not going to work out in my favour. <_<

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.