David Carter

Qualifying for the first round of the 2016 can-am proxy is Tuesday 5th April

Mark has the cars and is planning on running them today

good luck to everyone and I am sure we will enjoy another great series

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Qual will probably be done mid evening, as we cant get into our house till around 6pm

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Okay, qualifying has been run. A real mixed bag, with a number of cars not having their tyres properly trued, and some cars had dirty braids

BOYS !!!! what were you thinking.

E & OE on my typing..... :)

Qualifying R1.jpg

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Thanks for the running Mark , strange about the tyres trued them up on the razor before i sent the car , must check that out now and see if there's a problem , nothing amiss on the Carrera track before i sent it but couldn't check it on a wood track not one around here.

Thanks for the running Mark , strange about the tyres trued them up on the razor before i sent the car , must check that out now and see if there's a problem , nothing amiss on the Carrera track before i sent it but couldn't check it on a wood track not one around here.

Keith, I think plastic tracks "cushion" a lot more than wood. Once you stick a car on a wood track it is like jumping down onto a concrete path versus onto grass.

Every little inconsistency screams back at you.

I don't how I'd go if I had to prepare for wood on a plastic track. So don't go jumping off those white cliffs too quickly :)

As comparison, I stuck my old Chaparral that I entered about 5 years back onto track. Apart from re-buffing the tyres, it is still the same car as back then - probably hasn't even had a lube. I did 5.330 bout the 3rd lap, which would have made it 3rd fastest qualifier.

But I don't race it at club, as I have faster "classics"

The NSR 917 I used last year at the NSR classic does 5.1, and my Matra has done 4.8s

Of course they WERE built and tuned on this track, so are optimised for it, and may not fare as well elsewhere.

I did also have to clean, - and re-set the braids on a few cars, as they were either too low and not getting power out of tight turns, or too high, and the noses were lifting right out of the slot, spearing the cars off down the track out of the slot. I did have voltage a little above normal, so that may have resulted in the "spearing" - I'll have it re-set dead on 12 for the event.

As comparison, here are last year's qualifying and fastest race laps.

canam 2015.JPG

Guys/drivers for tomorrow night

We don't have a big field to get through, can we hold off opening the doors at Oakland until 6:45 please, as we have something going on late afternoon.

Keith, I think plastic tracks "cushion" a lot more than wood. Once you stick a car on a wood track it is like jumping down onto a concrete path versus onto grass.

Every little inconsistency screams back at you.

I don't how I'd go if I had to prepare for wood on a plastic track. So don't go jumping off those white cliffs too quickly :)

It certainly can be a challenge to setup cars on Plastic for Wood...

That said, I've managed to turn out a few blinders here and there...

Pity my OzRally car can't learn from them. :(

One of the things I've noticed on the Razor is that sometimes you can get a slight vibration on the axle as you true, and it may cause it to not be truing perfectly round.

Also, I find that with urethane tyres, I need to glue them at least 2 days before truing them if I want them perfect. It's like the 'degassing' of the glue affects the tyre somehow.

Lastly, don't rush it... Take your time, and remove very small ammounts of rubber at a time, periodically cleaning the tyres to get rid of marbles / etc.

Also, this is one of the proxies I'm hoping to enter at some point in the future...

Edited by shadow_rusty

Agreed...

This and the NZ group 5 ones are definitely tempting me...

Biggest issue for me is that I almost never run on rubber, so I have no idea what to expect.

Well, that, and there are no gloss tracks here for me to run on...

Thanks for qualifying Mark and hope it's a enjoyable night for you and your crew. Bit of a swan song for you - last NZ proxy round for you for awhile ....

Pleased Matra improved a bit from last yrs qualifying but forgot to leave the magnets in as that's the only way I'll get close to your 4.8 :D .

Orakei Racer

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!

Tyres intrigue me a bit SR, with proxies do find MJK's suitable for rally tracks and used them in the Targa Florio proxy last year great tyre but there seems to be an opinion there that for track cars on wood NSR's Supergrip is the tyre to use, had a lot of trouble with NSR's and so have a number of people i know over here in fact at the local club ( Carrera plastic ) some of the chaps are now using Ultras glued and trued in 20x10 or 19x10's, that work out about £14 a pair but i,m thinking the Carrera track gives a false impression of the performance like Mark is basically saying , actually looking forward to see how all the cars perform in this series as regards tyres to give me an idea about the gp5 proxy :)

It helps if you have plenty of cars, and a couple that run really well.

I sometimes simply swap rear wheels between compatible cars and see how performance changes for both.

Often I am fiddling around the edges of my tuning, when the biggest issue is just tyres not quite right despite doing "all the right things"

Then if I have some trued to the same O.D. I start swapping one out only, and figure out I have one dodgy wheel/tyre.

For major events eg a Group C enduro, I have usually done about 6 pairs of tyres anyway, and then try and figure out which ones are the best.

I leave the inserts out until last thing and put them onto the best tyres I have.

- And I also use a good set for "bench-marking" others I true up.

Keith

From what I sore of your car during qualifying it seemed like a well tuned car

Just a little lumpy otherwise very smooth

So you are differently on the right track ( no pun intended )

I mostly use nsr ultragrip tyres but have use P6 this time as a trial

Mine is lumpy to but did seem smooth when I last tested it

Will have to see how it pans out

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Thanks Mark and the Napier team for running the first round. The fields alot smaller than previous yrs, but there looks like there is a number of groups that will be battling it out pretty closely.

Happy with Matra's performance but looks like Bossman's M8 is a even match for it.

How was the Matra on the track at race speed? Wasn't sure if I got pod screws right, it was prone to desloting suddenly until I tightened the screws up.

Doc Speed will be happy with 4th, not bad for a inline.

Edited by Orakei Racer

Orakei Racer

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!