Sign in to follow this  
tonka500

Braid Damage Advice Please

Hello,

I was putting some barriers on my track and slipped with the screwdriver, pushing it across the braid.

I have attached a pic but it is a bit hard to make out. The top few strands of the braid are broken and rough. I'm not sure what I should do (if anything) to fix it. When I rub my finger across it it is a bit rough so I'm guessing the cars will notice it and maybe mess up the cars braid?

Also not sure if it will allow oxidization to start happening. It is tinned copper braid.

I thought maybe a few smoothed off drops of araldite across the patch would seal it up and also smooth it off. I'm not sure if that is the best way to go though.

I do still have braid left over if the better option is to pull it up and put a new stretch of braid in.

Advice on the best way to go gratefully accepted thanks!

Andrew

a9nvjp.jpg

Mate don't stress. My track is ancient and now quite bumpy as the braid is primarily 40+ years old. To me the damage is too minor to worry about. It won't go mank, tho it may reduce ever so slightly the life of the braid on your cars. If it's a major issue for you perhaps solder it and carefully level it out.

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

I would not lift it and replace it. What I would do is burnish it with the back of a teaspoon or similar so any loose strands are pushed down.

If some keep coming up then another procedure such as a quick lick of solder might be necessary.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll be glad if my track is still running in 40 years!

Think I'll just give it a rub with a teaspoon and see how it goes and progress to a soldering iron if needed.

Andrew

and maybe if there are any loose strands fold them in the direction of travel too so they can't poke into the car braids.

• Upvote 1

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Another thought just crossed my mind. A small drop of super glue after you've done the teaspoon trick might soak in quite well and hold it in place and shouldn't effect the contact being as it's such a small area.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Cue the Marry Poppins music ...... "A teaspoon and super helps the braid stay down" .......... sorry

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

If he had to stand in the corner for every 'tragic' he says, he'd never get out of it...