Thanks Ben,

yes - it took a while to sort out where everything used to be. That roundabout coming out of Longford and turning south makes you believe all of the Longford circuit was within that area - but, as you probably have worked out by now - only about half of it is on the west side of the highway south.... the main high speed part (including the flying mile) is to the east of the main road.

As you would have come up from crossing the river on the main road, there is a slight bend in the road to the left coming up the hill..... hidden in the trees on the right is the "water tower". It is at this point where the southern section (and pits) joined back with what is the main road.... then under the railway bridge and over the small river bridge before making way back to "Pub corner".

At the water tower - you can turn left... and meet up with the "flying mile"... About 1 mile along that straight, there is a right curve then a left.... go down that to the next bend and look left - along the Telecom track - this is where the old track used to be.... you can't get there anymore - it is now private land. But, down at the river is where the "other" bridge was.

Now, back to the roundabout coming out of Longford before turning south on the main road - look straight ahead through the trees. This is where the old track once ran to a right hander and down to the bridge mentioned above. You can still get in there, but need to do a bit of driving to find that part of the circuit..... the end of this road leads down to a public dam, where people swim and paddle canoes.

It is a terrible shame that Longford council, the Longford community association or even the municipal shire did not keep this sign-posted.... it is an "international" racing track... now almost impossible to find... the only thing you will find is "Pub Corner" and the pub - I asked in there a number of times for information on the heritage racing track - and could not gain anything relevant to what is there today, seems - they are keen to have you go into the pub and spend some cash and look around... but in reality, they don't want you out in the town tracking down this wonderful part of our motor racing history.....

Let me know well in advance before you go back, if you want to take another peek - I will make contact and give you specific directions which will ensure you can see all that is left of the former circuit - and, you might just like to trundle along the full length of the "flying mile".. stopping at where the pits were will simply take the wind out of you - it's just a paddock now, but it's still there....

frats,

Rosco

Spent a couple of hours driving / walking around Longford last week while on holidays (much to my wife's disgust...). I'd been there a few years ago and things have improved a bit for us motorsport tragics since then.

Obviously the circuit is permanently broken with the demolition of the Long Bridge (between Tannery corner and Newry Corner) and Kings Bridge (between the viaduct and the pub) in the '70s, plus a highway and roundabout plonked in the middle of the track. But, the rest of the circuit is generally accessible (except for the section from the viaduct to the Longford end of Kings Bridge, which are on private property. Biggest find I made was that there is now a style over the fence between Tannery corner and Long Bridge (& a sign about it being installed for local fishermen - and to respect the landowner's generosity). This allowed me to walk all the way to the approach to Long bridge and look across to the substation below Newry, though heavily overgrown. On a quiet Sunday afternoon I could almost hear the wail of Spencer Martin's Ferrari 250LM winding-up from the 90-right at Tannery...... Then I spent a little time trying to work out where Mountford corner was. The intersection of the road to Perth has been realigned so the the road now runs directly from Longford. Originally the road from Pateena went directly to Perth and and Mountford corner was a 90+ right near a pine tree onto pit straight and on to Longford. There is still a pine tree there but not sure if it's the right one. The water tower is still there on the left on pit straight, but hidden by trees (it was here that Rocky Trezise was killed in 1965). Anyway, with enough backtracking and imagination 80% of the circuit is accessible. Hope this helps. Dave.

Thanks for the update, Dave... it's a crying shame that the town did not erect sign boards around what is accessible to the public.... it was an international racing circuit... I'm wondering if they simply don't want visitors tramping all over their private history......

It could be a great attribute to Longford.... the only reference you'll find is in the "Pub"... and if you ask in there, they are a little bit vague about where the old circuit was... and what "new" roads you have to use to view it......

For me, it was a blast to run down the long straight... I can only imagine what the circuit would have been like in its day.. it was indeed a very nostalgic experience to be there and re-live what is now just memories... but, I'm sure - on a quiet night - if you listen hard enough - you'll still hear the echoes of the men and machines who continue to run ghost races there......

Very sad, Longford.... maybe one day..

frats,

Rosco

Moved the topic over to a more appropriate thread, a bit obscure in the proxy section, i didn't even know it was there until yesterdays post, anyway here's a couple of pics that have probably been seen before as i think there was a Longford post a few years back.

The pits and start line

49847402011_d9c6f1c14c_c.jpg

The rail crossing

49847402056_2291c1d2ce_m.jpg

The bridge

49847402156_c98d666f71_z.jpg

49847707997_3300eb08b8_m.jpg49846871428_0a3f1f177c_m.jpg

A quick trip across to google got me a few more pics

49846943043_c33cf4bc9e_m.jpg49847474346_45c313b5fc_m.jpg49847474401_8ea9bc53f9_m.jpg

49846943228_203d03020d_c.jpg

49846943383_93288c8286_c.jpg

49847475046_8b5d275318_m.jpg49847779222_9fdaffab02_c.jpg

49846943663_4f614f59e7_z.jpg

And the bikes

49847474756_a396bebcdb_c.jpg

49847779552_a5bfd5814b_c.jpg

49847779617_7b4dab351d_c.jpg

49846943633_d2cf905e26_c.jpg

Something else to do next time your at the targa ....... Vince

Absolutely brilliant fella's.... all added to my "Longford" folder....

I can relate to all the pix posted above.. know exactly where they were taken. By golly, then vs today - safety wise....... they wouldn't be allowed to run a bicycle race on that circuit these days...... the pix of the bridge and viaduct are particularly emotionally stimulating for me.... wow! that must have been a sight to behold!

And... "airborne".... I had heard that many cars became airborne over the hump on the straight from Pub corner down past the tannery.... this is the first time I have actually seen a pic of a car up off all four wheels..... can you imagine the rpms the motor would have peaked at... or the stresses on the driveline when the tyres gripped the bitumen again on the landing....... fascinating... for me....

As for our two and three wheel friends.... nup!.. never get me on one of those things in competition... I'm certain the pupils of their eyes were always a lot bigger than those of our intrepid racing drivers who had a steering wheel..... each to their own, but I know where my "duty" would have layed....

frats,

Rosco