What Are Your 3 Fav, Pre 1970 1:32 Slot Cars

slotbaker

memories..........

My first real slot car ,the Cox 1/32 Ford GT (from around 1965)

Monogram Ferrari F1, and strangely a Lola GT from monogram (remembered as a odd looking car)

Edited by terry
  • Upvote 1

Mine would all be scalextric too - clearly remember destroying my (much) older brothers' cars when i was 4 or 5.

C-81 Cooper (Formula Junior)

C-70 Bugatti - in blue please !

C-050 JPS Lotus (original RX motor of course - not can)

• Upvote 1

A wise man once said... "Its not the mistakes you make , its how you respond to them that matters."

(It wasn't me)

Mine is a MRRC Mercedes with 4 wheel drive with Ackerman steering. I think they also did an Auto Union that fitted the same chassis. I had some guy pester me for ages to sell or swap with him. I'm not a collector and he wanted it bad so i let it go.

My mate had the MRRC Merc, and I lusted after one but couldn't afford it.

It went ok and sounded good going around the track, but my Monogram Lotus was more than a match for it.

He had a go at trying to get it to go better. I remember seeing lots of little bits scattered over the table. It never went very well after that.

Steve K.

I started racing with a small group of locals at the Cabramatta Police Boys club, a couple of enthusiasts built a masonite track and housed it in the club where they had a spare room, the downside being we had to let the boys from the club use it once a week as payback, however, I digress, all the quick guys had the MRRC Merc and as this was way out of my league so I got my hands on a new Cox Ford GT, although the car did not quite match the MRRC for handling it certainly made up for that with outright grunt,was a lot of fun and certainly raised the eyebrows of the "older" members.

In another space I had a couple of VIP "club racers" I think from memory a Lotus and BRM, anyway I thought these cars were hot stuff and whilst in Sydney for my TAFE training I took my VIP hot shots down to the nearby commercial track, which had just been opened, I think it was in Castlereagh Street,down from the Mandarin Club, to my utter disgust my little home track specials got absolutely blown off the track by the hire cars!

I was gutted, I never did that again, the VIP cars were relegated to the spares box.

Great thread Steve!

Fun times

• Upvote 1

Thanks all for posting. There are some cool cars listed.

Good to see plenty of Scalex cars being listed.

My cousin had a good collection of Scalex cars, and I liked the Vanwall because it looked a bit different.

Hey Dreamer, was the Monogram Corvette a kit bash, or was it a Revell? I didn't know that Monogram did a Corvette in the 60s.

Chris, the HIT range of cars were a bit rare in the day. Good to see you liked them. I didn't get to see them run at my track, but I had a few HIT motors.

Doug, good selection of cars. Is the Tamiya Lotus 30 1:24, or 1:32? I didn't know they put out a 1:32 slot car. I've got the 1:32 static kit.

Please keep them coming, and please share some photo's if you can.

:)

Steve K.

Hmm quite a few i suppose , my first slot car the Airfix Lotus 24 has to be there as it was the start of a long love with slot cars, and the Revell range with their alloy chassis in particular the Ferrari 250 GTO is a favourite of mine and also the 1/24 Russkit Lotus 40 my fist 12 hour race entry with team Russkit was a joy to drive.

• Upvote 1

As a youngster I saw a Cox Cheetah on a club flat track....smooth, fast and quiet. I wanted one then but couldnt afford it. Same deal today.

I did have a 1/32 Ford GT40 but it wasn't the same.

• Upvote 1

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Hello Guys,

Yes the Tamiya Lotus 30 is a 1/32 scale car.

I have one built, and one unbuilt kit. They use a black aluminium inline chassis with a weighted drop arm. The kit, like all Tamiya kits, doesn't come with a motor.

The built one runs a FT16 motor and a ball raced back axle. They used to go pretty well, once you geared them right for the appropriate track you ran at.

Alas, I haven't run it in about 30 years.

Cheers,

Doug

• Upvote 1

Hi Guy's this is the first time I have posted so don't really know what I am doing, anyway here we go.

My favourite and best car was also an MRRC four wheel drive Ferguson Formula with the Ackerman steering.

this was when I was about 20 years old in London. This was about 1964.

The first thing I did was take off the front wheel drive. The car immediately went quicker. I used Mongram tires which in those days were the best.

Before I emigrated to NZ in 1969 it won nearly every race I entered. I had changed the body to a Mustang Fastback.

I still have the car though it's a bit battered now. I also have a Honda F1 version and another one with a nondescript sports car body. My two grandkids' drive them now on my home wood track.

Rodalan