2016 Australian Plafit Championship

APCBannerAuslot_zpsf214eab3.jpg

Red Racer Hobbies, Shop 11, 300 Oxley Ave., Margate, QLD 4019, AUSTRALIA ph. +61 7 3284 4888 sales@redracer.com.au

19. - 21. August 2016

Proposed Plafit Classes to be raced :

1/32 US TransAm

1/32 Modern GT

1/27 Mini-Z GT

1/24 Historic's

1/24 Group C (Team Race)

1/24 Formula LeMans (Team Race)

1/24 Formula 1

1/24 Japanese GT (GTJ)

Info about the event can be found here : https://picasaweb.go...3576905/APC2016

Info for all race classes and regulations can be found here : http://picasaweb.goo...793531523576905

Great stuff Werner looking forward to racing in QLD and catching up with blokes from last years event in VIC . Hope to meet even more racers at another great event . Such great fun last year so can't wait .

Cheers Pagey

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok guys, I'm going to have to step up and get my Plafit 1/32 cars going.. whats the winning body in Modern GT and Muscle Cars?

I know Paul Stevens won with a Panoz one year..is it still legal, couldnt see it on the list

Muscle cars are easy......they all run they same chassis dimension and the bodies are all within a gram or two of each other. Any body will work.

1/32 GT. A Panoz with lexan interior would be cool but I'd stick with ScaleAuto/NSR lightweight bodies.

If you get stuck give me a buzz , I'm selling up most of my cars/bodies/parts and controllers.

Edited by paulthetexan

Ok guys, I'm going to have to step up and get my Plafit 1/32 cars going.. whats the winning body in Modern GT and Muscle Cars?

I know Paul Stevens won with a Panoz one year..is it still legal, couldnt see it on the list

Most of the fast boys have been buying the Scaleauto Viper (SC6038R) at Armchair in the last few weeks. I reckon you should look down that path.

Brooksy

Thanks for the feedback guys.. I note Ace lexan interiors are allowed when using Scalextric.. so.. do the lightweight Scaleauto and NSR bodies have a factory lexan interior or is that the handicap for a lightercbody - run the heavier plastic interior?

Kim, try your old fly Sunred body, the interior in those is 6.2g. Put a lexan interior in it and it should bring the body weight down to a bit over 20g. Front and rear spur dimensions are good as well.

Worth a shot.

Edited by Camber

Hoo Roo

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Cam, had a good rumage then finally remembered the Fly Sunred was a car Shane lent to me... Doh.. Hate getting old and forgetfull.

On a different subject for those that may be attending their first APC it is vitally important to present an 18 to 20 point body in the Historic class as these points count towards your finish race result. Werner has posted how to get maximun detailing points your car on Pecaso but I cant find the actual value of these points. i.e. what is each point worth when added to your lap total?

Edited by axman

Kim, I think the magic number is 16. If you get 16 concourse points you can't loose a race place.

Someone might be able to confirm that, or not.

Edited by Garry J

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Guest jazzbell

Gary there's know magic number other than 20.

My 1st experience with this concourse points was 2009 Mcn at Dapto. Never raced scale cars qualified 2nd to Simon finished a half a car behind. Final choked finish 3rd with 4 others on the same lap. My 16 point car give me 7th even though I finished 3rd.

Regards Shane a

Hi all I am really in to these cars but do not get this concept! Understand the need to set a high standard but what 1 to 1 form of motor sport does this.

In SA we are trying to get these classes up and running but when people here this it puts them off.

As Parnelli Jones the Indy 500 winner once said "If you are not out of control you are not going fast enough!"

2017 Plafit FLM Edurance Champion

Team Thunderbird

It is a strange concept, but it is what it is.

It's almost a waste of time building a fast car if it's not also beautiful.

Hard for us modelling challenged people.

Here's how they are scored.

https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer#photo/100400793531523576905/5735636383873323457/5735636494921730226

Edited by espsix

Hi guys,

I have not raced in this class or championships for a long time so maybe there has been some changes since. From memory the magic 16 point concourse car as Garry suggested is mainly correct for the podium positions. Reason being that a win is 50 points, second is 46 points, third is 42 points (after that the points differences get less, ie. 4th is 39 point etc). The concourse points are added to the race points, so if a 16 point car win, it will score 66 points. Therefor if the car that came 2nd was a 20 point car, it will also have 66 points. Hence the importance to score more than 16 points in concourse (as for the minor placings - a higher score than 16 points, is even more important then).

Personally I have always supported the concept as it promote not only racing (as all our other classes do) and it does not only reward a great build (as the usual concourse awards do), but it combines very uniquely, both these achievements, to reward a special model car builder that can also run at the front.

Keep it going, it is what it is!

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

'The older I get the faster I was.'

I think this rule does have merit.

You can build a crappy lexan body with next to no paint, no detail parts which will be very light and fast, look like a blob running around the track and win the race. The guy with all the bells and whistles and has a beautiful scale race car has the heavier body and also has a disadvantage. At the APC, I think most people want to see decent cars racing and while it is a controversial rule, I still think it is a good thing.

Hoo Roo

Thanks Guys for the info. Historic is my favourite class.. probably because i'm a bit historic myself! I have no problem with the point structure of this class, it is a truly unique class and I really love seeing all the old Can Am's looking so good on the track.

Because there are minimal changes in this class its nice to know you've got all year to really make a nice looking car. So far my best is a 14 point car so I'm hoping my new body (after 5 years of running the old one!) is going to get me closer to the magic number. If it all goes pear shaped I'll be getting Pagey on the case for next year.

Thanks for the thumbs up Kim, I just wish I could drive half as good as you did in the final of these at the MCN . A true master class from a legend of the hobby . I promise if I'm lucky enough to race next to you next time I won't have the same blood flow issues . Lol Maybe I will give the beer and ticks a miss next time . Happy to paint you a car any time , looking forward to a revisit to Qld again .

Cheers Pagey

16 points is enough to not change the result. Getting 16 points isn't hard, you don't have to be a master modeler. Just focus on lots of detail, add as much as you can. Exhaust, mirrors, gearbox detail, interior detail etc. Cars of that era had simple paint jobs anyway. Werner just wants to see you have made a genuine effort to reproduce the original car and the detail it had. It's actually not as hard as people think just expensive to buy all the bits.

I have always built can am because they are the easiest to detail up. I won APC with a 16.5 body in 2014 against Paul's 20 point body.

Edited by sellout

• 4 weeks later...

APC%20Poster%20-%20Reduced_zps95thdoqz.jpg

With the big weekend in August coming closer there are a few points to be mentioned :

- Not sure if it has been published enough but this year we have selected 3 classes where we will have a double classification :

1/32 US Muscle Cars, 1/27 Mini-Z GT and 1/24 Historic's will have a so-called A + B driver competition to encourage more beginner

level entries. B drivers are indentified as racers who have not yet featured in a top three position in previous APC's and MCN's single

race format events. So this year there will be three additional trophies up for grabs in each of the mentioned three classes.

- For the 1/24 Formula LeMans team race please make sure that your cars have lights as this event is scheduled on Saturday late afternoon

and for the second race we might dim the shop lights above the track.

It will be interesting to see which car class (1/24 FLM or 1/24 Formula 1) will feature the fasted lap time this year. In practice so far the 1/24 FLM's

had a very close advantage. Compared to the times from the 2014 APC on the very same Plafit Masters Track, it seems that the new Plafit Cheetah 4

Motor is a rather noticeable improvement and a new lap record will be on the cards. However the opposite race direction might have an influence.

- With this year's APC time schedule together with probably a very high number of entries, it is very important during the event to strictly stick to the

times outlined. So, please make sure that your cars are ready at any stage to avaiod delays. We will have pre-tech checks available during both

practice days on Thursday (free practice - clockwise track direction) and on Friday (scheduled practice - anticlockwise track direction). Please use

these to make sure that your cars will pass tech without any problems.

- Finally, so close to this year's APC, it would be appreciated to get all entries. So please let us have your entry forms asap which is very important

for our planning and organisation for such a big event. If you need entry forms sent by e-mail, please let me know.

Looking forward to see you all shortly in sunny QLD.

Cheers

Werner

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea to have "Pro" and "Am" Trophy's for this National event. Its a big incentive for those that are willing to "have a go" against the pro's. Too often locals and racers new to the National scene just miss out and feel they go home with nothing.

In reality the race experience you get at these events is invaluable and now you might also score a trophy.!