Vraa 2015 - Round 8 - The Autodrome

Old23

• 2 weeks later...

News Bulletin from The Autodrome....

P1060498.jpg

Welcome back to the 'drome from high atop the Dunlop bridge Sir Nigel and I bring to you the final race of the 2015/16 VRAA. Nigel what have you to say?

Unknown_1.jpeg Hmmm.. yas well.. bloody time you had a race…wot silly excuses…the weather..peshaw.. Canada you say?

P1060501.jpg

It was those bloody visitiors from that Austrain track…wouldn't leave the streets till the 101st airborne helped out…

P1060496.jpg

…then the Bejeweled turtle…mascot of the Canadian Princess Fridgedaires got loose and it took a week to round the bloody shelled nuisance up since by tradition they cannot pass it…

P1060488.jpg

P1060492.jpg

…brilliant racing eventually…I say..bloody close….great fun!

Race%208%20Lap%20Chart.jpg

..bloody close…I say…the chart tells the tale…2.5 liter finish…cars a c hair apart at the end…that's metric…Canada eh…yas…

P1060484.jpg

…thank you Nige…and so another year and another VRAA ends as the sun sets here at the Autodrome in Cornwall. Stewart, chief statistician and man about town shall post the final results promptly.

Good day, eh to all and congratulations to the podiumites!canada.gif

Edited by Old23

Here are the Official Results for Race 8 at the Autodrome, Cornwall:

Race%208%20Results_zpstk8alzku.jpg

In the GP2.5 race, it was the closest of battles with the #14 Mercedes pipping the #22 Lotus by less than a tenth of a lap at the finish. Between them, the season-long rivals have won every race with the final tally at four wins each. These two cars were in a class of their own at the Autodrome with a gap of almost five laps back to the third place finisher, Rossko’s Bugatti #26. Phil’s #32 Maserati crossed the line fourth, a lap behind. The two front-motored Maserati of Aloha and Fastwagon tied for fifth place ahead of the two Vanwalls of Marek and Chas, the four cars covered by only one lap. David Mitcham’s lovely Ferrari was ninth, another lap behind.

In the GP1.5 race, the championship contenders started the race only two points apart so a win at the Autodrome would determine which car would be the VRAA 2015 Champion. At the finish line, Chris’s #11 Ferrari sealed the deal with a margin of 7/10ths of a lap over the Old23 Team Lotus #28. Stubbo’s Brabham completed the top three once again, for the fifth race in succession! Terry’s BRM finished a fine fourth ahead of Chas’s reliable Cooper-Climax and the veteran French blue BRM of RIR. The Mitcham BRM scored its best result of the season with a popular seventh with Max’s Brabham and Marek’s Honda following a lap behind. Unfortunately, the two Tasmanians, the AMCC Lotus and Kalbfell Honda, trailed the field well off the pace, their motors seeming tired at the end of the season and their rubber tires not offering the same level of grip as the urethane-shod cars.

Here are the updated and Final VRAA 2015 Championship Standings:

Standings%20After%20Race%208%20Final_zpsbysupikh.jpg

The VRAA 2015 Championships came down to the final race at the Autodrome with the chance of victory in both classes within reach of either the Team Chris and Team Old23 entries. In GP1.5, the Old23 Lotus 21 held a narrow lead of only 2 points over Chris’s Ferrari, while in GP2.5 the Team Chris Lotus 16 had an 8 point lead over Old23’s Silver Arrow.

A second place in the Autodrome GP2.5 race was all the #22 Lotus needed to secure the 2015 Championship. That and the Fastest Race Lap 2-point bonus left the Team Chris car 4 points clear of its rival. The Rossko #26 Bugatti claimed third place in the Final Standings ahead of Phil’s Maserati. Rookie entrant Aloha/Dale’s privateer Maserati held on to fifth, while the battle of the Vanwalls was won by Marek’s #69 from Chas’s #20. Fastwagon’s Maser and David’s Ferrari trailed the field.

Reigning GP1.5 Champion, Team Chris squeaked past the Team Old23 Lotus to claim its second VRAA Championship in the half-tonner class by an oh-so-narrow 2-point spread. That’s three VRAA Championships in two seasons for the Toronto constructor! While it wasn’t as dominant a victory as last season, the #11 Ferrari had the speed when it mattered to close the deal. Chas’s #6 Cooper claimed third place in the standings, holding off the charging Stubbo Brabham. Terry’s BRM, the winner of the season opener, recovered from a mid-season mechanical failure to take fifth place. Next came the Tasmanian pair, with the Grandkids beating Granddad Phil to sixth. Much razzing will no doubt ensue in the neighbourhood of Hobart! RIR’s ancient BRM finished its third VRAA season in eighth place (time for an upgrade, Pedro!), while the Team Mitcham “stackpipe” BRM, Max’s BT3 and Marek’s off-song Honda filled out the standings.

In GP2.5, the two championship contenders locked out the top step of the podium all season with four wins apiece. In GP1.5, while the Champion Ferrari won four (or half) of the races, the remaining four were divided amongst three other cars. It was good to see Terry’s BRM and Chas’s Cooper on the top step of the podium during the season. And it was certainly a thrill to watch my #28 Lotus take two GP’s and fight for the championship right through the final round.

Old23

More Madness From Marek, the Maven of Mayhem...

…Krisp O'Kindawackey wrapping things up after Stew's great commentary….

P1060522.jpg

In typical fashion the pride of France pulls over to chat with a lovely lady and her poodle…

P1060512.jpg

…drama rounding the Carousel…

P1060513.jpg

…ve zhall return!…

P1060516.jpg

…ah so…the Empelol rike to speak to you…not good..domo..oro he get you..

P1060517.jpg

…eh maybe she no win but she'sa beautiful..no?

P1060520.jpg

..I say good try…bloody awful wot?…

..and this year's champions are crowned!cheers.gif

P1060502.jpg

P1060508.jpg

Good day, eh!CanuckBanana.gif

Edited by Old23

Thank you Marek, the Mad Maven of Mayhem! The traditional VRAA Grand Finale at the Autodrome has once again lived up to its notorious reputation.thumb.gif

Happy hour started at the checkered flag and will continue into the off-season.

To all the other entrants, I hope we have entertained you with the traveling circus we call the VRAA. As for the future...? Well, that's a subject for another thread, another day. For now, the prizes are being assembled, souvenir postcards printed, and the cars will have to be retrieved from Outer Corwallia so they may be packed for return shipment to the owners.

Old23canada.gif

Thanks Marek for running our final round all with your usual flair and presentation!

Congratulations to the podium finishers, very close race !

Thanks Stewart for running the series your enthusiasm is infectious and hopefully you will be at the helm for 2017.

Well done to the series winners and top finishers, the VRAA is always a pleasure to be in and I'll be back for the next one.

For my #47 BRM a bitter sweet experience, to get my first VRAA win and then to get no points for a mechanical failure, certainly provided me with the usual VRAA roller coaster ride, to finish off with a 4th was a pleasing end.

Terry, it was surely a heartbreak to DNF in Race 4, but you did get 22 points for 11th (last) place because the BRM did run the Qualy session only to fail on the grid. Those points enabled your car to finish a creditable 5th overall instead of 7th.

As for VRAA 2016 (or 2017), please keep checking in here from time to time as I will be starting a discussion about the future of this proxy in the weeks to come.

Thank you for your kind comments and your support of the series.

Stewart/Old23