3D Printer

gazza

I suspect that the definition on these ones is nowhere near good enough for what we need.

I'll leave it to the experts and let them sell me what I need.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

How many of the shape ways chassis can you buy for $499 Peter? :)

I have dabbled with a low end 3D printer and think that in many regards they are comparable to dot matrix printers - myself I will wait for then to release the 3D printer equivalent of a colour laser printer (as compare to a dot matrix) for $499 before I consider buying one.

Edited by dangermouse

Spoke to techy son about these.

These are lower end but ok to dabble with.

That said, there's a helluva lot more to it than buying it and plugging it in.

Software, flow rates, calibration, cooling rates, fan timing and many other multi-sylable words that made it sound better left to the experts.

A wise man once said... "Its not the mistakes you make , its how you respond to them that matters."

(It wasn't me)

Spoke to techy son about these.

These are lower end but ok to dabble with.

That said, there's a helluva lot more to it than buying it and plugging it in.

Software, flow rates, calibration, cooling rates, fan timing and many other multi-sylable words that made it sound better left to the experts.

I agree. One of the guys that looks after our computers has built his own. The correct software is a big key to it all. And then there is getting the item you want printed into the correct file for the printer. 3D scanning is a whole other issue.

But there are some possibilities. Ryan (the computer guy ) has a machine that printers in layers of .1mm ie 10 layers to the mm. He is also looking at various materials that are far more durable than others.

Alan Stubbings

http://me3d.com.au

This is the printer I use, designed and built by some local UOW students. Build layer can go down to 0.05mm, I use 0.1mm for all my V8 parts using Polyplus filament for hard parts and Polyflex for flexible wings. Mattercontrol software is pretty good, only thing it cant do that I need is the ability to complete a single nested part before moving onto the next part, so I use Slic3r which is not as nice to use but produces excellent parts with Polyplus. I still use Mattercontrol to operate the printer and import the g-code from Slic3r.

Polyflex wing sides.

wings.jpeg

Wing.jpg

Polyplus wheel insert

Wheel%252520Insert.jpg

Still, no custom parts can be produced unless you can 3D model and/or 3D scan.

This looks like an interesting scanner for the money, better than 0.1mm resolution.

https://eora3d.com/index.html

Hoo Roo

That ME3D printer looks great...

I couldn't see it, but does it come with a heated bed?

No heated bed supplied, but you can add one on. For the filaments I'm using it isn't needed.

Side by side comparison of my wheel inserts, the right one on a $70k resin machine at work @ 10 micron.

I'm pretty happy with mine given it is about 1/60th the price. You can buy much cheaper resin machines but you have to process the parts after they are manufactured and you can't print flexible materials. I really wanted a resin machine initially and did lots of research into them, but there are many more advantages with a filament machine if the print quality is acceptable for your needs.

3Dprinted%252520inserts.jpg

Hoo Roo