Sign in to follow this  
zam454

Scalextric Digital Routed With Arduino Timing System

Hi all,

Thought id put my track up incase it inspires/helps someone - I know I was inspired looking at a lot of the tracks on here. I hadn’t done anything with slot cars since I was a kid but like the idea of digital and lane changing and running 4 cars over two lanes – plus I wanted to use my Arduino for something.

Basically its scalextric digital, routed track with copper tape on a hinged table I can fold up against the shed wall to save space. I have interfaced the Arduino to MS excel to do all the lap timings and then have the display of laps & live top ten lap times that update during the race. Finally I’ve put a few mariokart sound effects for top ten entry / fastest lap / last lap / race over etc.

Each of the 3 embedded track parts are wired up together underneath but other than that I just layed the copper tape straight over the track and then around the routed sections. My tips are, always use some sort of jig/guide for the routing. Embedding the digital track bits was the hardest bit. Car body filler is good to fix mistakes around the embedded track parts. Leave space near the borders for cars to slide without hitting edge.

Been fun so far.

20160101_153024_zpsm4naiesr.jpg

20160117_153718_zpsriderjv3.jpg

20160122_205003_zpsrtb6ns77.jpg

20160124_171912_zpsttxxmdd0.jpg

20160124_174806_zpsccb5mvvi.jpg

20160128_205332_zpskjqek0nu.jpg

20160128_205540_zpsqhooniju.jpg

20160130_211541_zpskzmveeao.jpg

20160131_125609_zps1anuo7nj.jpg

20160207_111647_zps8wmwsa11.jpg

Example output from excel – all timing done by the arduinoexcel_zpsxvxaf4uz.jpg

Nice build. The Ardunio are s great cheap board, a lot if guys are using them for timing and race control interface for Race Coordinator.

RC is free to download and may give you some more options as the Race Day screen can be customized to what you want.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

There are 4 microswitches per lane - they are wired together in pairs, ie the left-most switch on lane 1 is connected with left-most switch on lane 2 and so forth. Then the 4 switch pairs are provided to 4 arduino input pins. I attach a wire 'aerial' for lack of a better word - to each car in a certain position, eg car 1 has its aerial attached to align with the left-most switches, car 2 has its areal attached to align with the second switch in from the left and so forth.

This allows me to distinguish between 4 cars and takes into account the lane changing.

A simple system for 4 car setup - obviously if I had 6 cars then I'd have to make sure before each race that the 4 cars in use had different aerial positions.

My original plan was to do it all under the track and read the IR code sent by the cars IR emitter used for lane changing, I guess thats how the proper system works?. But the signal i captured and decoded was too messy - perhaps a mismatch between the cars emitter and the receivers i was using. I put this together intending it to be temporary but works well so just been using it.

I like this idea, I have a small 2 lane routed track with braid and i'm thinking of going the digital way. This looks like a great idea and it's really got me thinking.

Thanks for sharing your track.

Midwestern Model Raceway.

Re the gantry,

I like it!

Thanks for the breakdown of how it works.

A future possibility if ever needed, if multiple aerials were fitted to the cars, it would create a 4 bit binary system allowing about 15 usable car id's.

www.sydneyslotcars.com

No the microswitches in the gantry are connected directly to arduino input pins. Using the word aerial was probably a bad idea - just a bit of wire attached to the car to trigger the switch.

Ah yes that was my thought, lane changing.

Lane changing... Controller button pressed. Sends command based on resistance, power base detects say car 1 wants to change lanes. Power base sends message to car via rails which inverts the space ratio on the LED the car emits. When lane changer sees this it activates flipper. It doesn't know what car, just a car.

Carrera tells the lane changer via code in rails. Otherwise similar system.

Ninco works via dead strip and SCX works a mechanical plunger on the guide which mechanically activates lane changer,

Scorpius, car receives lane change command wirelessly direct to car. Car detects LED in track (with unique code) snd car sends lane change command. All lane changers receive the message but only the one the car detects prior to the lane changer will activate.

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com