manimmal

An Observation Of The Effect Of Front Ride Height Screws

Hi all,

After a trip to visit Ged at Melbourne Model Raceway I may have found myself with several Sideways group 5 cars to sort out. The first two cars took to my standard set up nicely, yet SW36, the Sachs Capri was a pig. Under acceleration the nose was lifting out of the slot. Ordinarily an extra turn off the front body screw or a tightening of the rear will help, but no. Being one of many Capris I've built I put it aside and contemplated adding weight to the nose (I don't do weight unless I exhaust all other options my brain can muster). I got onto SW29, the Jagermeister Capri and with my standard set its one of the quickest cars I have. As the two mentioned cars are 'competing' tomorrow I pondered why the nose on SW29 was planted but not on SW36. Then I realised I had set the bottom set screws for the front axle, but forgotten to tighten the top ones. Immediately I did this in SW36 and she's great, no lifting under acceleration.

I set my front wheels to just touch normally and generally speaking I wear my pick up braid at a rapid rate. With this in mind I ask the question; has anybody else observed this set up contradiction, and, does any body have an explanation better than 'cos it does'?

Cheers,

Chris

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

Nah, I straighten them all as part of my set up. Both Capri where slightly bent north south in a concave fashion, which was ironed out in the toasty magnet bath. I was thinking maybe it's the guide finding a deeper path due to the loaded front wheel being deeper into the wheel arch, however the issue is occurring primarily once the car has finished its main sideways load and enters the strongest phase of acceleration. That said Syd I'm now going to recheck that now all components are fitted the chassis is still straight.

I think balance is the problem

Once you set the front axel height it was resolved

Think of a drag car a slight change in front height or rear height makes huge differences

Example: wheel stands to tyre shake(tramp) &

Spin the tyres (stand up on the tyres) so if it is to low at the front it's unsettled in the balance !!!!

My 2cents worth

Rossko

(head exploding) you might be onto something. I think I thought I knew how to set up slot car, then my head exploded. Then I started learning again. This is part of why I love both slot cars, Auslot and slot car racing. Sometimes a simple thing can confuse one to the point of realising that even a simple thing is in a fact a complex physics experiment. Back to the batcave ;)

... Ordinarily an extra turn off the front body screw or a tightening of the rear will help, but no...

Slot car racing is certainly a black art. Does the potential body screw fix pertain to more than just the Sideways chassis?

I might have study drag racing theory too!

Edited by MelbourneModelRacewayRacer

Chris Meaden, member and webmaster of Melbourne Model Raceway racing group http://www.tryslotcars.com/mmr.htm

Sorry a bit late to the party.

Hmm. So you set the front wheel ride height by raising the front axle but forgot to limit the axle travel by reciprocal adjustment of the top screws. Correct?

Then the car was putting weight on the outside front wheel during cornering and leaning because the weight transfer was raising the front axle. Then with the chassis already leaning with the guide partially raised in the slot you apply power which causes the guide to ride up the slot. It looks like a wheelie but it isn't.

When you correctly readjusted the top screws the axle could not lift under weight transfer so the chassis no longer leans which means the guide is still square in the slot and no longer tries to climb out. I don't think you were ever wheelieing out of the slot with power alone.

This could have been confirmed by placing the car straight on the track and trying to do a wheelie down the straight.

If not my head will also explode :o

Edited by FLY in the wall

Outside the box looking in.

------------------------------------

You don't own stuff: Stuff owns you!

------------------------------------

Having a cold drink on hot day with a few friends is nice, but having a hot friend on a cold night after a few drinks - PRICELESS.