Vacumn Formed Windows

mopar

With some screens I will even glue the top edge and then go back and do the bottom edge.

Window fitment on a resin build make or break the look IMHO.

I am working on this at the moment. I use Canopy glue formula 560.

P1140598_zps9vismefb.jpg

P1140600_zpsktmtry7r.jpg

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Damn Munter, that's nice window fitment.

ps. the rest is great too...

I cut with scissors and then use a combination of a sharp exacto blade and a fine diamond file to tidy up the edges. I use the blade as a scraper rather than to cut.

Find a pair of scissors that give the best cut on a piece of paper

cheers

David

Edited by dangermouse

Next time you are out shopping with the Mrs do some loitering in the Nails and Nail care section of your favourite department store.

Get some scissors that are straight and get some scissors that are curved....you know the ones with the longer handles and shorter blades.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

I have a pair of curved scissors from when I was doing bodies for my nitro rc trucks and buggies. Found them very useful , good for cutting out decals as well . I got mine from a hobby store or EPay can't remember , The "handles" are a bit bigger than normal and more bloke freindly .

P1000923.jpg

In my very limited experience fitting vac formed clears, I found it easier to keep it all one piece, and fit and trim and fit and re-trim and fit and re-trim until the piece sits roughly right, coat the insides of the body work with decent blobs of canopy glue that will press flat to an area of about 1cm or more diameter, re-fit and tape the screens in place hard against the underside and leave it a couple of days to dry.

ps. Be green - Munter occasionally invites the club around to play and poke and finger all sorts of interesting goodies in his Aladdin's cave, and is going to do so again while we're still in summer holiday season.

- He doesn't know it yet, - but he is.....

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

I agree with John, leaving the windows in one piece results in a poor fit.

I have tried to get a good fit using several methods of two piece moulds but cannot get good consistent castings that allow the Windows to fit all the time.

I usually try and cut and test fit the Windows BEFORE painting,this allows the opening to be sanded to ensure a good fit.

Edited by kalbfellp

I have found that if the vac formed windows are done over the original hard plastic ones they can be fitted with not much effort on a plastic body

But some trimming is still required as the vav formed one are slightly bigger than the original

but I do prefer to fit them in at least 2 pieces as it does give a easier fit

I have fitted a few in that way that Munter has formed for me

But when it comes to resin bodies a lot of effort needs to be put into sanding and trimming to get them to fit right and yes fitting them in separate pieces is the way to go

A lot of mucking around but worth it in the end

Time and patience is the key

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.