Policar Lotus 72

Peter Gunn

Arround 22mm rollout is a good start for our smaller tracks, and 24 for the larger (but still small by commercial standards) tracks.

Hmmm, according to Policar, it should be a 25t crown, not a 28t one... http://policar.it/AC...I2516-Pl_EN.pdf

Not too sure how I miss counted it that badly, but if that's the case, then the 16t axle will suit me perfectly at ~23mm rollout.

That said, it may be a while before I pull the back end out yet again to recount it.

Edited by shadow_rusty

I recounted the crown gear, and I'm not too sure how I miscounted it twice before.

Fixed the spreadsheet and updated the pic...

Mine finally arrive...

I must say, that whilst it looks great, and drives well enough with it's stock motor, I'm kind of disappointed in it.

I must of gotten a Friday / Monday car...

One of the front wings is broken (internally only thankfully)

One of the spacers has a slot in it (C shaped), and only just doesn't fall off of the shaft

One of my front screws was an incorrect type, and jammed into the chassis

3 out of 4 tyres were not fitted to the rim properly, and as such, are now mal-formed

Also, it's definitely going to be a pain to gear these correctly for slower motors.

To work out the gearing, I built this chart Red writing is parts that don't exist yet, and Green writing is the stock parts.

Download File...

Policar%20Gearing.JPG

Also, if they had just made the exhaust 'extensions' go towards the front of the car further, the whole thing would be SOOO much easier to disassemble / re-assemble.

Edited by shadow_rusty

Hi all.

Got to try my OTB Lotus 72 today on Bowman Raceway. 18m wood track with smooth 2 pot finish.

Only work undertaken was to adjust tyres to rims better so they ran more or less true. Also rear tyres were lightly sanded to take off any minor imperfections.

Car ran beautifully immediately. Forgot to get some times but it was very quiet and handled well with good brakes, acceleration and top speed compared to Slot-it orange motor powered opposition.

First impressions - far better OTB than any other GP car tried.Only weak point was exhaust extension which came right off. On my Scaly track it kept coming out of main exhaust section mounts. Think this will get discarded for any serious racing. It is possible the grub screw securing it was not tight enough but it is still a weak point with car.

Everybody liked the look of the car. I will now proceed to glue and true the rear tyres and try again.

Regards Chas Le Breton

• 1 year later...

Updated this spreadsheet to an online version...

Policar Gearing / Rollout Calculator

• Upvote 1

Thanks mate, glad it's of use to others too...