Src F1 Replacement Pinion

shadow_rusty

Anyone know where to get one of these?

As these F1's have an ~4mm diameter pinion, they are certainly not an off the shelf item...

Also, I run a BWA in it, so a 7t one would be preferable too...

Hmm, these look correct, but at 4.5mm, I'll definitely need to carefully check the original one for diameter.

http://www.slotcarcorner.ca/pinion-4-5mm-inline-1-5mm-shaft/

MR4006__65978.1420760344.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

I agree that the chassis is very soft...

But, I run a BWA 14k in all of my classic F1's, and with a judicial application of hot glue, the lay shaft is no longer 'ejecting' from the chassis.

Also, if it is a 4.5mm pinion, MrSlotcar do a 7t one.

http://www.professor...ct-p/mr4007.htm

MR4007-2.jpg

Edited by shadow_rusty

I was just going to suggest the same solution.

Those MR Slotcar pinions come in 4.5mm in Steel and brass for 1.5mm shafts.

Steel lasts longer, but costs more and needs to be pressed onto the shaft dead square so you don't bend it.

They are available closer than USA from a forum sponsor.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Thanks mate...

Wasn't necessarily looking to buy from there, but was rather showing that they exist...

A bit off topic but I wonder if it be possible to graft the motor pod from the upcoming Politoys Lotus 72 into the SRC chassis. I expect it may take a bit of skill to do this but would be an interesting thing to try. It would be a better drive train i would imagine.

I'm keen to get a fly slot Williams FW07 but that drive train which it shares with the SRC's is a deal breaker for me.

so maybe I'll try what I've suggested.

Then again this may be a good opportunity for a 3D printing mob to produce a chassis to do this.

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

The Williams is probably the quickest of the Fly's...

So there is defianately something in having the motor laid out like it is.

There are 2 differences though.

1. Fly chassis is significantly stiffer than the SRC one.

2. Fly uses a 5.5mm 9t pinion to a 27t spur, whereas the SRC uses 6 / 18

I have two Fly Williams. One is a great runner, after a lot of work sorting the gear train out.

The other one is still crap, I have spent much more time on this one trying to get the gear train to run smoothly, now looking at trying to replace it. The gears seem to vary a lot during the moulding.

• 3 weeks later...

Andi Rowland, the designer behind the Policar Lotus 72 chassis/gearbox, has posted a how-to article on Slot Car Illustrated detailing the conversion of an SRC Ferrari T4 to the Policar/Slot.it running gear.

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/portal/forums/showthread.php?p=946897#post946897

All the motor pod and gearbox bits are available now at a couple of UK online stores (Pendle and Top Slots at least). The key element is that Andi has created replacement chassis for the SRC Ferrari and Renault. They are 3D printed and now available from Shapeways.com

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/arco_chassis

Old23

Good to know, thanks.