Sign in to follow this  
Wobble

Warped Resin Hudson Hornet

I have a resin Hudson Hornet body that is a bit warped in that one side is 31mm from the center line and the other side is 26mm. I think both sides are slightly distorted and both need a bit of 'straightening'.

Is there a way of straightening resin bodies? Any tips / pointers would be appreciated.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Hot water and twist and hold and cold water and hold in position....you need three hands for that.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Hot water and twist and hold and cold water and hold in position....you need three hands for that.

Thanks for that John. Is hot tap water hot enough? ours is about 65deg or possibly too hot. It appears that the warping is only from the top of the front wheel arch down so if I made a template and taped the body to it would the same process work? I don't want to make it worse and sometimes when I try to fix things ... well ... you know

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

hey, you are asking a guy called munter!!!????

Hot tap water is fine...have it as hot as you can take it as you will be holding it. You can also try one area at a time. Focus on the bad area and dribble the water over it while exerting some pressure then get the third hand (wife) to flip the tap to cold. Hold it under there until you think the resin has cooled(about a minute for most bodies) Several short attempts is better than one long one.

Hello Greg....plastic is different....you could make it worse but a gentle application of heat might help.....stay away from cigarette lighters, paint stripper guns or hair blow dryers.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

if you are bending out the sides of the resin body it is a good idea to use some thing to keep the sides straight.

I use ice cream sticks along the bottom edge held with two pegs,this keeps the side straight and helps eliminate the need for three hands.

Do need to use cold water if you have patience, I use the laundry where there are two taps.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Brilliant, thanks guys, hot and cold water I have and icecream sticks and pegs... but the 3rd hand has done a runner...out buying chrissie presents I suspect.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

miveson, I'm not holding my breath,

and

Woopee ... mission accomplished ...thanks again guys ... I learnt something new today. Now to put a doctored Pioneer Charger chassis under it

Edited by Wobble

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

So I thought I had this right but trying to line it up with a chassis proved me wrong. I've cut a block of wood to size and using pegs and rubber bands to hold it in place, here's hoping a dunk in hot and cold water will put it right. In theory I should be able to trickle it in to the top of the ice cream sticks and after it's softened a bit change to cold. ... fingers crossed

1e739b4c-7765-4a7e-bf0e-989779119377_zpsysxdikwr.jpg

Edited by Wobble

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg