Ricardo40

Connecting Parma Controller To Scalextric Track

Hi All, I'm looking to getting back into playing around with home slot cars. I'm going to get the scalextric F1 app racer set at Christmas, but I understand the controllers are weak. I've read you can remove the middle plug inside the ARC ONE and put in a normal power track (i plan to buy a cheap analogue set to get extra track and the power track) to control the cars with a different controller. Could some please explain to me how to do the following:

I have two Parma Plus controllers with 25 ohm resistors, the controllers are filled with the normal three pin Oz plug.

I have a 30 amp supply I use for charging batteries I believe would be excellent for this;

http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=167

I would like to keep the plug on the Parma controller so I can use them at commercial tracks.

So I'm guess I need 1/8 stereo plugs and male power plugs and some red, white and black cable.

All I need to understand is how to wire everything up.

Any help is appreciated.

Ric

Ric,

Check the polarity of the controllers first as most commercial tracks are positive polarity, manufactured sets are negative.

If you controllers are positive you will not be able to use them without modifying the scaley power pack.

This link has some advice on that.

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3585

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

Thanks ZeGas, the link was informative. I didn't realize that the power into the power-base was AC. So I guess making my own power track with my power supply might be the go.

Is there any good after-market controllers that slot right in? Maybe a wireless solution that can connect?

Being a resistor controller, the Parma will work on both polarities, just make up a adaptor that plugs into you "Oz plug" and then plugs into you Scaley analog power base.

Your power supply will work with the Scaley analog power base, but I think with 30 amps you may want it to go a little lower than 12volts.

Oops didn't read properly, it even says resistor, sorry.

So for wiring it is very simple, two wires one + one -.

Wire to the adapter plug for the power base first as this will require soldering no doubt.

Then to your controller adapter plug, this way you can check the cars are going in the right direction, it is easier to alter your adapter as it will probably be screws rather than solder.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

Thanks for the replies, just checking a little further. The power-base in an analogue set (C8217) accepts two AC power packs and rectifies to a DC current? I believe that plugging a DC supply will still work but will drop the voltage (0.9V). That is still good because my PS is variable (12V -18V) so I can just set to 1V above what I need. So will I need a plug the is centre positive or negative? On the controller side I guess I just need to know which pins (wire colour) goes to where on the phono plug?

Hope I made sense.

Also I believe that 30 amps just means I have plenty of current in reserve, it's Voltage that dictates current draw.

OK ..... I have got my ARC ONE set and been having a blast but the controls are rubbish, I ordered from the UK a C8217 and realize after thinking about it that diodes in the powerbase are bridge rectifiers (one for each controller I believe) so in DC only two of the four diodes are used. Bridge rectifier are used to convert AC to DC but can be used for a polarity check on a DC input (about a 1.2V voltage drop). I will feed each input so I don't overload the current on one.

So I will make a small box for each Parma controller to go from a mains plug to a 1/8 jack, will probably fit a 3 amp fuse in line as well.

Has anyone made one of these or have some advice?

Ric