Ben_M

Ozrally Round 2- Rambo Rally

Welcome to round 2 held in Rambo's home town.

rambo-on-the-move.jpg

And yep, I mean Rambo, the big Merino. Of course you can't leave out his 'other' side........

IMG_1225.jpg

So same again as last year, 3 stages on 3 different tracks. To remind you here is the video of the historic class from last year which I have only just completed. If you're not interested in the whole 7 mins, flick through to the end of each stage as there is some nice slo mo footage. Its pretty cool seeing what these cars actually do when they are not a blur.

Enjoy the video as unfortunately there wont be one this year. I think I set the bar a bit high last year and i'm on a bit of a tight time frame as I leave the country in 10 days....... There will be pics and feedback from stages 1 & 3 though.

Results will be coming in during the next 10 days, so relax, sit back and enjoy the action. B)

Some slot (and MTB) vids NOW SHOWING

So, the first results are in. The Raids doing 10 laps around the very twisty coin track. Its important to get a good drift going on this track so you can flow through the corners well. Some of the longer wheel base cars struggled with the tight corners. I will post more detailed comments with pics at a later date.

23623884766_fe647744c3_z.jpg

Different car same result. GAS has done it again with a car that drives totally different to last years but is faster and much more enjoyable to drive.

Those grand kids are definitely biting at my heals there...

Contrats to the front runners.

Thanks for running this stage Ben....

Edited by shadow_rusty

Wow that was a surprise result. Shared fastest time with Gas41 and a good 2nd.

Very close result for first 5 in particular including my two Tassy cousins so should be a closely fought round. The next 5 too not far away as well so different tracks should help even out.

Well done Ben_M and your helpers.

Regards Chas Le Breton

East Island

Well done Ben_M and your helpers.

Helpers? I don't have any friends ;) I'm a one man show.

Your Raid is a joy to drive, pretty good effort for a first go, good work.

Just to keep things rolling, stage 2 of the Raids. The short, tight and slow track causes issues with a few cars. About 1/3 have no problems, another 1/3 struggle a little but nothing too drastic and the other 1/3, well big problems they have........ If I run a round again I may just skip this stage for the Raids as its not much fun. But as always there can only be 1 winner, and that winner was.......

23282016879_d9fc6a6cf5_z.jpg

I mean really, were you expecting anything else??? Well done again to the Gas man. Still some close results behind!

Only the long stage 3 left to go, with a more open track the trucks should go better on that one.

Just noticed how close all of the fastest laps were. Those that struggled with the tight corners managed to scab a few nice laps but were inconsistent.

Hi Ben_M and all.

I will probably get crowled at for saying this but in RAID Stage 1 first 5 bet last years winners time. Stage 2 first 4 bet previous time.

Regards Chas Le Breton

The entire field came together today the the class of 2015/16 group photo on a very windy day in the Lilac city.

23304325529_7f85d8ce9c_b.jpg

The reason for this was that it was time for the biggest moment of the event, when my two boys (3 and 5), pick their favorite car. As always fingers were moving all over the placed but once time was up there were again two winners.

23588776261_0a53a31ec8_z.jpg

Now it just so happens that there are two other cars that look exactly like these two, so apologies to Dylan and Gazza, you obviously just dont have that X-Factor! There are actually quite a few livery matches this year. We may need a special siblings photo :)

Step back to stage 1 and some photos and comments.

23591386011_cf0bcef040_z.jpg

The crowd turned up early to see the cars do a quick warm up

23306124879_173124c8b2_z.jpg

Repsol have clearly invested heavily this year. The speed of all three are proof of this.

23045597944_f39960f6bd_z.jpg

Twinnies Part 1

23591320581_2641f0f8ab_z.jpg

Part 2

23591536381_738a8f4975_z.jpg

Boss had way to much grip. You need to get the back out and slide it through the corners. This one was very tippy and had lots of roll overs.

23591514811_8405919db6_z.jpg

Interesting tyre choice for Aquakiwi, they worked ok but the motor/gearing combination was no good for this track. It had nothing down low but then went into hyper drive. Smoother acceleration would help this car out a lot.

23647936106_669ee04df3_z.jpg

Don't f### with Gazza. Also needed to get that back out more. These long wheel base utes often got caught up on the tighter corners.

23378206590_0e20a44bc9_z.jpg

No home advantage here. Lacks power and is just a bit messy.

23378371960_e9ee082025_z.jpg

Some potential here but soft suspension and grippy tyres had this one binding up on all of the corners.

23673939735_1fdc5acd59_z.jpg

Team Reds VW needed a good clean of the tyres, even after that it still lacked rear grip, but this helped it to get through the tighter stuff. As per last year the guide popped out a few times.

23046895823_162e96bc11_z.jpg

Dylans ute was similar to the orange beast of last year but this one has a violent drift on it. It would basically pick up the rear wheels and through it out to the side.

23591431391_651cacce87_z.jpg

100% better than last year, AMCC's Avant was fast but a little unpredictable. A couple of de-slots cost.

23673920265_febc5e96cb_z.jpg

Last years winner was fast but not smooth. A little chattery through the corners.

23378161340_1d96b14fb7_z.jpg

Nice solid car, could drive it all day. Wouldn't expect anything else from Phil.

23647723876_c8a4b0d174_z.jpg

Another solid car, great first effort by Charles.

23378391620_36f0d73e0e_z.jpg

Now I know what those noises were in the shed all those months ago. GAS must have snuck in to do some testing. Perfect balance of drift and grip.

One drive and you will fall in love :wub:

Whilst it is the ugly duckling, driving is believing...

So stage 1 for the WRC has also gone down. Another good field this year. Straight to the results

23705285715_fe36e13fd8_c.jpg

Ill take that :)

23069984153_39f8f96708_z.jpg

I really enjoy the SCX cars and ill be interested to see how these two progress through the season. The usual standard guide hampered Team Reds, the guide popped out a bit and the car was a little unpredictable.

23588527992_892e2af2c9_z.jpg

Not in the same league as last years Avant, it was a little chattery and the guide needs to be lowered to keep it in the slot. Still nice enough to drive.

23588742652_8684102ab6_z.jpg

Gazza passes the SCX fan club. Its nice to drive but not as stable as the Nincos.

23401581960_865bb078c2_z.jpg

Phils had the most grip of all and was the only one that tended to tip.

23069172564_f6fa4bd4ac_z.jpg

Nice enough to drive, didn't set the world on fire.

23329252249_df3afeba3d_z.jpg

Very nice but another whom had the guide come out on tight corners. Had to be a little careful with it.

23697099185_8bd7483055_z.jpg

GAS was fast, but not quite as smooth as last year.

23069013494_b6e846b0ec_z.jpg

GLUE YOUR TYRES ON MEL! Fast but a bit of chatter in the rear.

23614747101_9f47b35dde_z.jpg

Charles' car is fast and holds its speed well. Still struggles with Ninco hop.

23401608930_136333c431_z.jpg

Fast and consistent. The grandkids car is solid once again. Could be a little smoother.

23697072225_66e64904da_z.jpg

Looks like a did a good job on this one :) Mine was the smoothest out of the lot which gave it that little advantage exiting corners. Would say home track advantage but I didn't have this track set up when I was building the cars.

Thanks Ben

I took the suspension out

& moved the weight, other than that it's the same car as last year

I hope the historic car does well,I think you will

Like it with the Spanish King motor

Drive it like you stole it my friend

Ps I'll pop up next year to get my wrc car tuned

Just leave the back door open !!

Rossko

Edited by GAS41T

Oh well , that's how the cookie crumbles. Hopefully will pick up as the proxy progress's. All 3 cars were set up on the road track so the the issue of the guides popping out wasn't there.

That's the problem of not having a permanent rally track down. But hey these things happen and can be fixed for proxies in the future.

Craig

Craig

"You can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.