New Shed New Track

pmdaniels

I finally got my new shed built and the old track went to the tip last year . I had it for about 15 years ,see 'Adelaides Smallest Track' thread .

Have started on a 4 laner . I am no carpenter ( was a fitter ) but we will see how it turns out . Long way to go yet ,picture will give you the general idea . Cars will travel right to left on straight .

SAM_0795_zpsm1x9lrij.jpg

PeterD

Nice build, looks like it will be a drivers track,nice and interesting.

Wood is easier to work with that metal, but bloody hard to weld up when you make a mistake!

Must be a new shed to be that clean?

Edited by kalbfellp

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I should post an update in case anyone is interested !

SAM_0808_zps0fudiiym.jpg

SAM_0806_zpshum4uucn.jpg

Finished making the support legs , Routed the slots and rebates , Router gave up part way through so had to make a trip to Bunnings for a new one .Painted the lane colours and put two coats of Medium Grey paving paint on the track . Braid laid under the bridge . When the weather cools down will get some braid laid , too hot in shed at moment . What thickness do people usually make the borders out of ? I wanted 6mm but it 's not going to bend enough on the inside of the corners . Maybe I will do 6mm on the outside and 3mm on the inside ?

• Upvote 1

PeterD

Hi from NZ.

Great looking track. No horrible little kinks so should drive well. Like elevations too.

Well done. Look forward to photo when finished.

Have had holiday in SA recently. There are certainly a great range of tracks there.

Had a great time at Fulham Park Raceway last Sunday but back home now.

Regards Chas Le Breton

East Island

• Upvote 1

Always interested, at least yours is going ahead not like slack ass me.

Keep on postin'

Garry's legs © look good too, almost a mainstay of track builds nowadays.

Edited by ZeGas

11924224_10153259024416492_7653375737677928691_n.jpg?oh=c73219f70af872aa1a3f2a666594c193&oe=571D70F3

thats about a weeks worth of wetting 6mm MDF with a spray bottle of water and clamping. try it with 3mm but if you cant get it small enough make a template and heat up 6mm lexan and bend it

Won't the MDF swell if you wet it?

only if you soak it, just enough water to wet it

Always interested, at least yours is going ahead not like slack ass me.

Keep on postin'

Garry's legs © look good too, almost a mainstay of track builds nowadays.

Garry's legs ? I thought they were Kim's legs .

Lets let them battle it out, as a good Queenslander I will stick with Gary J he was using them in 2012 not sure when Kim got involved though.

Neither Kim nor I can claim credit for the double triangle leg design.

Although we all have our minor variations it originally came from Hasse Nilsson (I think that's how it's spelt), a European track builder who went to the states in the 80's and revolutionised track building, developing many of the timber track techniques used today. In the 80's and 90's a Hasse King was the track to have for "speed crazed morons". That's a technical term for "wing car racers".

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

3mm MDF will be strong enough Pete. All my borders are 3mm MDF and are plenty strong enough.

And I do like the look of your layout. Coming along nicely

Edited by triggy

Normal people worry me

Thanks for that Garry,

I did not know that, another thing to look up.

Edited by ZeGas

• 3 weeks later...

SAM_0826_zpslwcjlbqd.jpg

All braid now done except for a small section on Blue lane as I ran out , more braid is on it"s way . Track borders done in 6mm , it bent OK , only broke one peice before I got the hang of it . I couldn"t resist hooking the power up temporarily and spent a couple of hours running cars round yellow lane , no problems and seems fairly grippy . Just got to make some drivers stations now ,and wire it up and install the timing system !

• Upvote 1

PeterD

Looking really good Pete. Just wipe over the surface with a damp cloth to pick up any dust before you race each time and you wont have a problem with grip.

Edited by triggy
  • Upvote 1

Normal people worry me