Wobble

Auto Art Ford Gt

This arrived in the post today. Funny thing is the bloke on Trademe had advertised it as Scalextric and I thought at $30 new and unused it was OK.

08da91cd-06d1-4ffd-bf0e-51dea659b02e_zpsbbwrprdp.jpg

Turns out it was new but not a Scaley so I decided to have a look anyway. Chassis didn't look too bad and should be alright to tune a bit

7d686934-116f-411c-9034-842cdcc3844c_zpspvsozm0l.jpg

Front tyres sanded quite easily, rears would be NSR so I added a couple of O-rings to give the tyres something to park against

955ea00c-f8df-414e-adf6-1dfd7d1aeb36_zpsyh2ik6ms.jpg

Standard gearing is 12:38 (3.166) so a SRP 18k motor was the go with NSR 12 tooth plastic pinion (same size as AA pinion and sounds as good as the standard gears if not better)

NSR 5208 trued to 22.2mm which is still quite a large tyre so it should suit the motor and gear ratio. 5-6 gms up front and 98gms all up.

Just in time for 1st run tonight and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes better than both my Scaley versions.

205eb992-e1a0-4341-87dd-8324f930619c_zpsljtmr4mf.jpg

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Auto Art do make a great looking car, some run well others not too well but that's pretty much like most brands anyway.

I haven't seen the 'o' rings used before, I take it you are using them to fill the tyres more?.

cheers

Matt

Auto Art do make a great looking car, some run well others not too well but that's pretty much like most brands anyway.

I haven't seen the 'o' rings used before, I take it you are using them to fill the tyres more?.

cheers

Matt

Matt this is my 5th AA car, I've got an Alfa GTA and Lambo Muira and they go really well, also I've got a D-type and C-type and the C isn't too bad for what it is. Both have 14k motors but it's still almost too much for the D-type.

The O-rings are a gap filler because the centre ridge is 2mm and the NSR are for 5mm I figured it would be easier to get the tyre sitting square on the hub

Edited by Wobble

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Nice work as always Wobble

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

AA cars could be a bit under-rated by some.

It looks like Bram has it well under control though.

Just ordered a Miura myself.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

all cars have potential and can go well with the right tuning

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Cheers Bram,

I have a few of the Auto Art cars myself and quite like them.

They run quite well on the home track even with only a little tuning.

cheers

Matt

Nice work, Bram.

Ok - for the electronic guru's on this forum... those capacitors.

Most models I see only come with one - across the motor lead tags.

I note with this model, along with all the Carrera models I have - it employs 3.... one across the brush tags and one from each tag to the motor casing.

Can someone kindly explain the relevance of the additional two ceramic caps please?.

My understanding is that these little ceramics "filter" and smooth out the short gap in commutator as the brush "bridges" from one armature field to the next - and helps to avoid voltage spikes and burning across the commutator - but can make no sense in why we would want to send it to the motor casing as well... I don't believe it is electrically connected to the commutator... unless, perhaps by doing this we are making some form of storage to the motor shaft through its bearings... it's beyond my puerile understanding in electronics.

frats,

Rosco

AA cars could be a bit under-rated by some.

It looks like Bram has it well under control though.

Just ordered a Miura myself.

John, I've got a set of MJK's for the Muira if you want them, funny hubs have different diameters each side as well as the centre ridge being bigger.

ps it goes way better than I expected. The key to an 18k SRP motor is taller gearing. Tried 1 in a Scaley Mustang and even with 12:36 it ran out of revs and stopped on a dime.

Edited by Wobble

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

You've done well there.

"Winning" as the young folk would say.

A wise man once said... "Its not the mistakes you make , its how you respond to them that matters."

(It wasn't me)

I have done a few AutoArt cars and had some good results. The 911 GT3s were available for nine quid ex UK for years and were a great platform to work with. One of the real bargains of the last few years. I have 4 waiting to be set up like your GT40 for a club enduro.

Podiums are for short people.

Ok - for the electronic guru's on this forum... those capacitors.

Most models I see only come with one - across the motor lead tags.

I note with this model, along with all the Carrera models I have - it employs 3.... one across the brush tags and one from each tag to the motor casing.

Can someone kindly explain the relevance of the additional two ceramic caps please?.

It is so you can have practice with your sidecutters

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

The O-rings are a gap filler because the centre ridge is 2mm and the NSR are for 5mm I figured it would be easier to get the tyre sitting square on the hub

Nice looking car. I like the O-ring tip too. Do you also true the O-ring down to the dia of the hub's centre ridge?

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

I think the extra two caps are just to ensure that any spikes from the brushes are filtered via the can.

Autoart seem to go over the top with filtering, a choke in both wires and the three capacitors.

I am just wondering why you changed out the Red stripe motor?

Was it to suit club rules?As the red stripe goes very well.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

I find that the biggest issue with the autoart motors is not that they are 24k, it's that they have too little brakes.

As such, my Countach is much quicker laptime wise with the 18k Carrera fitted than it was with the stock motor.

I think the extra two caps are just to ensure that any spikes from the brushes are filtered via the can.

Autoart seem to go over the top with filtering, a choke in both wires and the three capacitors.

I am just wondering why you changed out the Red stripe motor?

Was it to suit club rules?As the red stripe goes very well.

yep I agree Phil, I like the red stripe motor and run one in a Slot.It Toyota Group C car and it can easily keep up with the orange end-bells and win races, but for this I wanted a 'true' 18k with more torque and better brakes, because it's a bit weighty, for our 18k GT class.

s_r I've been looking for a Countach for ages, it seems they're like hens teeth now

Edited by Wobble

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Nice looking car. I like the O-ring tip too. Do you also true the O-ring down to the dia of the hub's centre ridge?

sorry Pat, I missed your post ... no, I didn't bother trying to true the O-rings as they didn't put too much of a lump in the tyre, could've used slightly smaller ones but it was what I had

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

I've just been going through some of my cars removing heads of driver figures without helmets to send to munter to get some copies made.

Here's the dash of the AA Ford GT. Just thought I'd show it 'cos I think it's pretty impressive. Trouble is I couldn't even make it out without taking a photo with macro to see the detail.

fd8e62e7-ee30-45c7-a126-3f7f97f196ad_zps3hsqrxlu.jpg

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Sorry bro' can't see what station it is tuned to.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects