2016 Tasman Cup Car Builds

Stubbo

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slo - I particularly like the way you have employed the bushes at the end of the arms.... I will do this one day.

I must ask about your engine mount.... is it simply a brass plate with a right angle bend for the mount?

I'm not in love with the traditional three bend bracket - it has to be exact in 3D. Fitting the bushes outboard would give an awful lot more finesse and accuracy in setting the axle - not to mention containing any torsional distortion (how ever miniscule this is).

In the limited scope for tuning chassis for this class - any advantage may make a gain - no matter how miniscule each part might be.

Sadly, I don't have a track to do any testing on.... my Scalextric track is no place to tune a little greyhound like these models.

Add to this, my very limited driving skills (grandma, with one foot on the brake and one on the little pedal) - I'm probably never going to enjoy the outcomes you chaps with both building and driving skills who have access to a decent track for development... no matter, I'm really enjoying this proxy facet - I get an awful lot of enjoyment reading comments and looking at the times my little effort has enjoyed...

frats,

Rosco

Rosco, was thinking this morning - perhaps Andrew could build you a single lane test track. You'd be surprised how much variety and length you can get onto a 1.8 * 2.4m MDF. That is about table top size - will fit into a damage ceiling or on its side if needed. Look up 32coupe on Auslot.

He did mine, and a number in Vic & SA so can freight as needed. The difference a well planned test track can make to the balance and gearing is worth the effort. That said, I'm very interested to see how my Cooper runs alongside yours...

Tony

Good suggestion, Tony - I had thought on this for quite some time - it's not a case of not wanting to build a layout or test track - I would have absolutely no problem with building my own, in fact - I'd love to build one.... but, we have absolutely no place on this 1/4 acre block left for me to put anything... the garage doors won't shut if I leave an icy pole stick inside somewhere, I've got "stuff" in the roof, under the house, a dedicated extra single car shed which was built for a "retirement" FJ Holden Ute project (now a nursing home project) is so full - I can't see the car anymore... I know it's in there by the shape of the stuff laying on it and all around it marks out the perimeter, just about every room in the house where I can stash stuff without displacing what's needed to live.... add to this, there is a complete HO model railway in storage (yet to be built) - track, loco's, carriages and wagons.... all carefully stored away and "waiting"......

As I look around in this room - there are currently four radio controlled aircraft waiting to get to the airstrip again... the top layer of shelves around the room is railways.. the second layer is slot cars....next layer is tools and books.....

I have four cars and all the associated spare parts probably almost to rebuild any of them except the truck...a boat and all it's associated "stuff", a caravan (more stuff) and a large garden shed full of "maintenance" toys..... plus the workshop........I believe you might appreciate that with all my hobbies, and an insane obsession not ever to sell, donate or pass on any of it for now 61 years.... finding room for a 1.8 metre long test track would very much demand that I "throw" quite a number of things away - it's just not going to happen....

Folk, if ever you hear of my passing - get in touch with my family, they have absolutely no interest in my hobbies.... there may just be a "skip" placed on the nature strip..... I shudder to think - thankfully, I won't be here to see it go....

So, for any of you who "think" you are going to have all this spare time once you retire - I am testament to tell you that you simply "won't"....sorry, enjoy all your spare time whilst working - you won't have any once you retire..... trust me..

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

Are you referring to the "retirement" bit, John - or the "stuff" bit?

If it's the "stuff" bit - it's all perfectly safe... if I can't find anything here (which happens an awful lot) anyone else will have less of a chance..

The "retirement" bit - well, I've warned you all.... and - I hope I'm not wrong in anyone's application....

frats,

Rosco

Ah retirement good to start so great not having to get up in the cold and wet and it allows you to do all the things you want to do , umm then you find you,ve forgotten half of them and can't afford the rest and take up building slot cars for proxy racing instead :o chuckle

Ok, John - then it's the "stuff" - if you saw it, I don't think you'd want to leave without "something"... I do a frisk every time someone leaves the room, just in case you are planning a plunder visit....

PG - nup, I was fortunate enough to "Squirrel" quite a bit of stock up whilst still gainfully employed.... the arsenal of which I find a daunting proposition - I struggle now with memory... if ever you see me build a slot car with a funnel on the front or ailerons on the rear wing - time to give me a tap on the shoulder and suggest I should take up something a little less challenging....

What the heck has all of this got to do with Tasman builds... I most probably am "building" - but as John posts above, it's probably not what many would want to be reading.... I'm building a "case" more than anything, or perhaps digging a hole to bury it in......

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

Good to see such beautiful little machines take shape. Sorry I've not been around much of late. A couple of new jobs (one paid, one unpaid) and the need to update my teaching qualification as well as a few ongoing problems have meant I won't be participating this year. I did try to put together a new chassis for last year's car, but had a bit of a last minute mishap with it. Ah well.... Such is life. Hopefully it has given me a slight head start on next year's entry.

Good luck to you all.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Good to see you on deck again, Embs.... "this" is a hobby, albeit an obsession for most... but, still a hobby.

I am very comforted to observe you have your priorities well in order.. and yes, you're just under 12 months ahead of the rest of us for next year's series..although I suspect there are now builds in the process...

frats,

Rosco

Slo - I particularly like the way you have employed the bushes at the end of the arms.... I will do this one day.

I must ask about your engine mount.... is it simply a brass plate with a right angle bend for the mount?

I'm not in love with the traditional three bend bracket - it has to be exact in 3D. Fitting the bushes outboard would give an awful lot more finesse and accuracy in

frats,

Rosco

Hi Ross, apologies for taking so long to get back to you on this, been having difficulty in loading pics and I feel the best way to answer your question is with a picture. Rather than just say no. Motor mount point has brazed silver soldered eyelets to piano wire which is silver solder brazed to the brass tubing which is silver solder brazed to a tapered 1.6mm x 12.7mm x about 25mm long flat brass in order for the motor to tilt down. This is the best pic of the motor mount pod that I have, unfortunately not all in focus but I think it may explain what I just tried to convey.....

It was all about minimizing weight on the overall pod and keeping weight as low as I could. This one was built for the the VRAA a couple years ago, That chassis had a different lighter front to this one. The paint never set on that build so it wasnt sent. It seem the Kanaks and Yanks are accustom to driving lighter weighted BWA powered cars.

The outboard bush alignment rely heavily on the bracing the shockers provide

Tasman%202016%20Brabham%20BT11A%20008_zpsjkvkamhv.jpg"]Tasman%202016%20Brabham%20BT11A%20008_zpsjkvkamhv.jpg[/url]

Sorry if this is a little "off topic", but its sort of related to our Tasman builds.....

I'm having problems in sourcing front tyres for our little cars, ones that could be trued up, and at the same time be a tad "hard", can anyone suggest a supplier?

Many thanks in advance,

Terry

I have some 13" donut type ones Id be happy to send you Terry, They fit the BWA 13" narrow rims,

Paul Gage Does an S compound which is a harder compound (think its S) Pretty sure he'd have a size to fit the narrow ribbed BWA type 15" rims

Paul might have something to fit the narrow Slot car corner rims too. Paul has always been helpful with any queries I've had. Try emailing him if all else fails.

Just a little observation.........

I'll put my hand up on this one, being probably more guilty than others.

The thing I'm getting to is running the same car year after year with no apparent rejigging or repaints.

VRAA regs for this coming season have changed to prevent builders or entrants doing this and I have to say its not a bad rule amendment.

For me I have the 2014 series winning car on my shelf and every build I do is compared to that car, this year I had a completed BT11 ready to go and at the last minute the car became erratic in its lap times and nothing I did could fix it, time restraints and all the other lame excuses allowed me to substitute the 2014 car, a rather lame cop out!

Only now have I realised that the BT11's tyres were shot, and a new pair were fitted and the car now goes okay.( just okay)

I only get better with these builds when I build more cars, each one becomes more familiar than the last one and I tend to be more aware of what to do ( and of what not to do).

So for me, I have given myself a kick up the a***e and a promise to gear myself up earlier for next year.

Its not something I hate doing, getting downstairs and into the shed building is a enjoyable experience and the end result is certainly worth the effort.

Of course it doesn't always mean that with each new car comes improvement, thats the game we are in, but that little rocket is always there waiting to be built!

I'll go now, I feel so much better

Edited by terry

Terry I have 60 shore Eurethanes here that I use for front tyres.

I can put some in with the body kits is you let me know what front wheels you are using.

Geez Phil, I'm very thankful.

I'm using RS wheels the RS001 15inch by 5mm wide

The actual measurement is 14 x 5 x 3mm rib

Terry