2016 Tasman Cup Entry Nominations

Stubbo

Is that the SM-1J or SM-1M or SM-1L or SM-1S or doesn't it matter?

Why I am pursuing this is because a newbie could well be confused.

Then there are Chassis described as F1/GP chassis which are not the same....bit of a minefield.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Shadow_rusty.

Buy a kit if you must but if I can build a basic brass chassis I am sure you can. If not on this site there is an excellent tutorial on building same somewhere. Written I think by Ken of SCI fame.

Hardest part is building suspension but it is more fiddly than difficult. Talk to Stubbo or Phil but a first effort can be fairly basic.

Let me know if I can help.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Is that the SM-1J or SM-1M or SM-1L or SM-1S or doesn't it matter?

Why I am pursuing this is because a newbie could well be confused.

Then there are Chassis described as F1/GP chassis which are not the same....bit of a minefield.

The only issue I have with the PP chassis is that there is a mile of daylight between chassis and track using scale tyres. So what I do is solder a piece of brass to each side of the rear axle bracket with the bearing holes drilled a little higher to allow the chassis to be lowered with the motor, therefore, mounted offset.

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

SR.... If I can do it ANYONE can.

This was the 'simple' David Lawson chassis that started my adventure last year.

chassis_zps9de691c2.jpg

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

SR - what Ember says X2 - it was her entry and build that inspired me and in which I progressively became engrossed/obsessed in to emulate.

Be warned though - it will take precedence in your hobby time... plus a bit more.... read = a lot more.

Lots of help in here if you get stuck - a resulting credit to the magnificent builds which make this series top notch.

Your skills far outweigh mine - lots of time before models are to be received.

At present, there are grid positions available.... hint, hint..

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

Thanks guys (and gal) for your support and advice.

I'm not too worried about the building, more the fact I don't have any materials on hand bar axle and axle tube.

Also setting up a brass chassis car will most likely be very different to all the plastic cars I've done.

Shadow, have you "done" piano wire and brass before? - if not, you're in for a treat!

It's just so "basic".

I've now only put two together, but right from this very ignorant beginning - my limited experience purports that the key to all of it is getting the axles and brackets absolutely parallel and square - the rest of it comes with tinkering.

It is most certainly not the bug-bear that most might believe it to be.... one of those ceramic tiles Ember put me onto was a god-send in setting up the parts for soldering..... and the holes are just about perfect for the wheelbase spacings for these cars.

PM me if you want anything I can help with..open invitation to any reading my dribble...

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

This year there has been a significant increase in people wanting to participate in the next Tasman Cup Proxy. I am still waiting to hear from a couple of last years entrants but if they all return and with the extra interest we will have 30 entrants.

I contacted all of the Tasman hosts and I am very pleased to say that they are all in agreement to increase the size of the field to 30.

So you are all in.

I have updated the list in post 1 and included it again here.

Now we need to know your car numbers and what you are building.

I will create a new thread for your car builds.

2016%20Tasman%20Cup%20Entry%20list.jpg

Edited by Stubbo

Alan Stubbings

• 2 weeks later...

Alan, I note that you haven't updated the Nominations List to confirm Marek's #69 entry. He posted his confirmation on SCI some time back.

Old23

I did get that. I just haven't got round to updating it yet.

To all the others who have nominated do you have a race number yet?

Alan Stubbings