Macca48

Dust On Track

Seems like a silly question but what is the best method to clean track down .i have an area that gets a bit of dust and l only run it on weekends so it picks up a lot just sitting .

HI Macca,

I usually give mine a once over with a dustbuster to pick up the fluffy sort of stuff, then a wipe with a lint free cloth / paper towel dampened with shellite.

Don't use water if the track has steel rails as this will encourage oxidation.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

I put two pieces of masking tape under a chassis folded back so it drags over the track surface - simply run a few laps and it picks up all manner of fluff and dust - good for a quick clean up in addition to what Grant suggested

Best cleaning method really depends on the track type.

If you're using plastic track and wipe down with a cloth dampened with methylated spirits and then a treatment of Inox MX3 on the rails is best.

Of course, if you're got a painted track then stay clear of solvents of any kind.

I like to wipe the track with a microfibre cloth and then run a car around a bit with Inoxed braids to treat the power rails. Occasionally I get out the vacuum cleaner and do over the track, particularly concentrating on the slot.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

A rag with Suntan Lotion! It's just like if you put it on your hand then rub it in the sand. The sand sticks to the suntan lotion. Same principle applies with dust.

Brooksy

Thanks for the above,

my track is entirely Scalextric plastic. I have to build and pack up the track on every use.

During the day, dust from all over the place gets onto it. I find that simply wiping over with a micro-fibre cloth gets most of it.

Every few hours, I rub the entire track rails with a small piece of micro-fibre cloth dampened with Inox MX-3 and follow up immediately with another dry micro-fibre.

I also put a small drop of MX-3 onto each braid of any additional car added to the day's running.

When I pack the track away into its original packaging before storage - I wipe every piece down with the same process, but leave a very thin film of MX-3 on the rails.

So far, the rails are as new - and the braids don't seem to wear anywhere near as much prior to this process.

All cars seem to run much smoother using this magic lotion Ember put me onto a long while ago - thanks, Embs..

To those with permanent layouts - you are my envy! It's a huge day, when I declare that the track is going to be set up...

frats,

Rosco

I got mine from our local home hardware, I have seen it in bunnings as well.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

I got mine from supercheap auto.

Was cheaper than repco and home hardware...

Just make sure to get Inox, and not Lanox.

My father used lanox on his track, and all it did was attract dust and crap.

Most of the auto suppliers stock it. I actually got mine cheaper at Autopro than what it was at the hardware store. Find the pump bottle better than the aerosol. Of course, the best value is to join up with your mates and buy a 4 litre bottle.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction