New Track For Vinno

Vinno

I was looking through my old posts and noticed it has been 5 years since I have had a track at home again. I had one aborted half built track in the garage 3 years ago that I decided not to go ahead with as I had a new plan. I decided to build a new shed at the top of my yard in place of an old garden shed. As the new shed took shape it become more of a mancave as my daughters boyfriend is a builder. Very handy that he came along before I actually got started. While it isn't big, 4m X 3m, comfort was top of the order so it is fully insulated with an air conditioner about to go in as well.

The new track is more of a hobby track at 2 lanes and I wanted a hillclimb and a downhill straight mainly for cars from the 60's to 80's. It is a cross between Mount Panorama and a tight winding hillclimb similar to a road near my place. It will be a work in progress for scenery which I will work on over the next couple of years between mountain biking and work. Anyway here are a few photo's of the progress over the last couple of months.

I started with a piece of 1800 X 3600 9mm MDF and my old plastic routing strip which is hanging in there. As you can see there is quite a bit of squeeze on the track with only about half of it where you can run side by side.

New track 1.jpg

New track 2.jpg

Routing done and undercoat on the track surface.

New track 3.jpg

Painted with Big Al Collins special formula mixed with the Bunnings paint shop of Dulux Suede Effect paint and a coat of a water based flat clear over the top to protect it.

New track 4.jpg

Braid completed. You will notice the extension piece at the end of the track which takes the track out to the full 4m length of the shed. The dimensions of the track is 4m in length, 1m across the far end and 1.6 metres across the widest points. The 1 metre width at the far end is to fit it in behind the door of the shed.

New track 5.jpg

I cut out most of the track and moved it down to the shed ready for setting elevations. As I am on holidays and home this week my main focus is to try and get it to the point of actually running a car around it by Saturday as I am off to Hawaii for a couple of weeks and don't want to wonder if it is driveable of too tight?

New track 6.jpg

Working on the elevations and a few cars sitting on the track and pushing them around making car noises to make sure there is not too much off camber.

New track 7.jpg

I will also be using the sections I cut out for infill for mounting scenery and stopping cars falling in the hole under the track.

New track 9.jpg

This is the steepest part of the track so it will be interesting seeing how cars go climbing up there from quite a slow corner. Now I am just working on a couple of power bases and hopefully tomorrow night I can give it a spin and see how it drives and then pack the bags for some fun overseas.

New Track 10.jpg

So thats where it is at now and it doesn't have a name yet but it will most likely have something to do with Lower Mountains or Blue Mountains as thats where we live. Anyway off to bed.

Vinno

I like the look of the track - looks like it will be an enjoyable drive. Very much in a similar spirit to my new track and winding 2 lane drive in the country. Great for XK120s, and classic GP and then any 60s sports cars to run on...

When I was working my track out I took a chassis (I had an old MJK 1/32 floating around) rigged a 9v battery up to the motor and let it trundle around the track to see how things went. I figured it it could go cleanly around the track at 9v then everything would be ok for driving a car at 12v

cheers

David

ps In the US these types of drives are called Parkways - so you could call it the Blue Mountain Parkway :)

Mate, you got a lot of track out of that size sheet, well done.

Looks like your a man after my own heart, I love hill climbs and 50's 60's targa cars.

Made a good start there Vinno. Going to be a really good looking track. My kind of drive.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

great use of space and a good looking layout.

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

• 3 months later...

I thought it was about time to post a bit of progress with the track so here are a few pictures from the last couple of days. The first is the last climb to the top of the hill which is pretty steep. The traction is good with the Dulux Suede Effect paint and one coat of flat clear.

New track 11.jpg

This is above the pit area where I am thinking of putting the grandstand.

New track 12.jpg

This is the pit area with car ports for the teams. I will make another of these for the other side of the Scalextric bridge and have been making some timber look fencing to go behind here along the start straight.

New track 13.jpg

This is a picture of the whole pit area showing Scaley bridge I am using as a light gantry for the timing. I used a few pieces of 12 volt led lighting strip as the light source. It has been faultless since since I installed Trackmate.

New track 14.jpg

Grey lane box with direction switch and the power supply to the right. Plenty of storage under the track for my magazine collection and cockpit for my driving simulator too.

New track 15.jpg

Top end of the track where I will need to do a lot of filling in over the next year or so. No rush on this as building it is half the fun.

New track16.jpg

The track drives well with plenty of grip, almost too much for some on the tighter corners. I changed the camber of a couple after a bit of a test drive with a couple of guys on friday night. So far the lap record is a Scalextric Senna Mclaren with MJK tyres at around 6.7 seconds. My good Trans Ams are doing 7.1 to 7.3 seconds. Power doesn't help much here apart from the main straight which also needs good brakes at the end. I will post some more pictures when I have gone a bit further with the pits.

I love a good targa track...

Nicely done, and will be interesting to see how the scenery goes...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey Jimmi it's a bit all over the place as I cut the inside close and allow enough sliding room on the outside so cars don't hit the fence. It measures 180mm where some of the squeezes are up to 250mm where there is no squeeze and I have a corner. I routed and then cut after I measure sliding distance with a car.