What Are You Running This Year

miveson

I'm still a long way off deciding what to run this year - especially in the raid class - been busy testing a few different cars in standard configuration to determine what might be a winner this year. After last years disaster with the mini and mid field finish for the Buggy it's time for a bit of a change....

I'm pleasantly surprised by most of the cars..... left to right...

Avant Slot Mitsubishi

Ninco Bowler

Ninco ProTruck

Ninco VW

Avant Slot Subaru

Ninco Buggy (last years car)

OzRally_miveson_testing.jpg

Decisions, decisions........ Only 5 weeks to go.....

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect I'll be running a TeamSlot Celica again if I can fix the chassis that I broke at the last minute last year. Looking at a good weekend for painting this weekend so I'd better decide on the livery I guess.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Like you Mark I have plenty of cars sitting on the tracks ready to test, have started work on Ninco Pajero Evo I picked up very cheap.

No idea with the other class's The Magnet Metro is to be retired after two second places. Now need a RS200 killer, just nor sure what!

Edited by kalbfellp

Going for the simple approach this year, nothing spectacular ......

WRC ....... SCX Ford Fiesta

Historics ....... SCX Porsche 959

Raid ............ Ninco Ford Ranger Special Pro Truck (with crowd control protection kit fitted)

20150930_170812_zpsrlypc6dy.jpg

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

I'm going to run slot cars!

The buggy from last years raid will be back (with some grip this year) and trying to create a beast similar to Cure's avant slot but with a Ninco 037. If I get a WRC going then a Ninco C4, so all 3 are Ninco's. Still to build up the C4 and the other two are yet to hit the track. Some work to be done...

Some slot (and MTB) vids NOW SHOWING

Last time it ran was back in 2011 when it won the SCX Classic Rally Proxy, (you ran your hairdressers car in that) new boots and it's out for another run.

Progressive%20results%20round%2011_zpsmu9xopl4.png

Gary

well, back to last year car to get up the ranking.

for me i did few test on the SCX std xara but i am back to the SCX pro. I did review the guide and weight balance. I am building a second chassi with an SCX pro and scx 91 motor to compare. Not impressed for the time beeing.

The alpine will be abck. i did tune the front arm and i am struggling to find the right wheels for it. the one i have now will still generate too much grip.

I build a second alpine but it is not as good.

regards

fabien

For the RAID class, I'm toying up the idea of running a SCX VW Toureg or Mits Pajero.

But I suspect that once I glue,fit and true tyres to all my RAID cars, my Ninco BMW X5 will get the nod instead...

Dylan will be entering another big Ford in RAID, but as my orange monster has been 'retired', he will be using a big blue one instead.

I believe that Corey may be entering into RAID too, but I'm not sure which one he will be running...

Great to see the Raid class so well supported,it was only a few years ago when Gazza suggested it and we all shouted him down.

It is good to see what started as a bit if fun years ago as grown into a very well supported proxy.

Thanks to Martin, And the great group in Sydney who organized the very first Rally proxy.

it was only a few years ago when Gazza suggested it and we all shouted him down.

I'm used to that, these days i turn the hearing aid off and remove the glasses, then it just looks like everyones cheering and happy

Gary

Hi all.

Had a good weekend with much progress on my 3 cars. All now fitted with new glued and trued tyres but not without some hiccups.

Briefly WRC Subaru will be raced as last year but as it seemed to develop a Ninco hop on some tracks I am adding some bracing to stiffen chassis. Time will tell if this works.

Historic Ford RS200 will probably have a bit of lead added as comments last year were it was still a handful to drive. I had thought of changing to quieter MRRC but have decided to retain Scaly. Hopefully added weight will calm it down a bit.

Raid truck (Range Rover Bowler Nemsis) has had some problems. Thought of running completely standard except for some weight but then decided to use urethane tyres Phil provided. Trouble was two of them decided to split. Have now found some Fly eruthane profile tyres I acquired a few years back from one of the Christchurch slotties. They are a bit smaller than the rear Phil tyres which may cause problems but we will see. I intend to retain 4WD unless the band breaks. Adding weight is another matter. Despite size of car not much room

Did notice that Gazza's similar car last year failed early in event. Hopefully mine will not suffer that same fate as I have retained plastic wheels.

Hope this is of some interest. Intend to get cars in mail no later than 20/10 which will leave 3 weeks for cars to arrive.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

Charles,

I've been all over the place this weekend trying to sort cars out - I've tried my hardest to get a few of the Avant raid vehicles running well but they just don't seem to feel right even after removing 4WD and swapping motors for something more managable than the stock standard ones. The 4WD drive system in the Avant Lancier is pretty slick with the extended spring motor shaft. If only it was easier to swap the over-powered motor for something better.

I found the Bowler to be a very fast car compared to many of the other raid vehicles. I have to agree with last years comments about the VW vehicle that Craig ran, it felt very fast around the track but the times told me a different story, still pelnty of playing to do with the cars to make a final decision - I'm leaning towards the Bowler as it's a joy to drive which I think for a proxy is the main requirement. I'm swapping the running gear for slot.it as the vast majority of Ninco raid vehicles have issues with wheels falling off and I prefer to add axle spacers rather than the motor shaft to centre the rear axle and reduce friction.

I'll probably be using the Avant Slot pulley system which will allow me to use the slot.it axles.

Still not sure on the WRC side of things, again the Avant is nice but a handful and not anywhere as smooth as some of my previous years entries. Figured that anything slower or less drivable won't be near the top.

Decisions, decisions.... plenty more playing to be undertaken - I do get a feeling that the more I tinker the worse and more complex I am making it.

Well all done last years car in the historics the little Ford RS200 reappears new body this year otherwise same as it was last year even the tyres , and in the WRC a leap in the dark with a Avant Scoobie taken the wild motor out fitted the same as in the Ford hoping to give it all round performance rather than top speed grunt.

OzPair_zpsol38miyc.jpg

I'm leaning towards the Bowler as it's a joy to drive which I think for a proxy is the main requirement.

Bingo. I found last year the Raids were a handful to drive and a bit stressful. Even the best cars could bit at any second, so the easier they are to drive the better. But just dont go too far like I did and have no grip at all......

Mine may hit the track this week if im lucky.

Some slot (and MTB) vids NOW SHOWING

Hi Miveson. I have only had one drive with the Bowler on my Scaly track while it still had the magnet in so really have no idea. Might get to try on wood track at weekend. Good to hear you thought better behaved than most.

Currently have done little to mine except tyres. Am committed to going with plastic wheels so that may turn out to be a disaster waiting to happen. There is always next year.

Currently working on adding some weight.

Thanks for your feedback. Personally I like to keep to standard equipment wherever possible and concentrate on tuning. My WRC Subaru always had the NC5 when most had lower powered NC2. NC5 is now however quite a popular motor.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

Nice car GAS....

I'm pretty settled on my WRC entry now that I'd done a bit of tuning - a Ford Focus 4x4.

50469.JPG

Just found the magnet in my Bowler which was impossible to get out - hacked it to death and it's gone. No wonder the Bowler went so well :) Further testing tomorrow on the raid class.

Hi Miveson.

The magnet in my Bowler was in a separate little nodal under the chassis. I just levered it off with a small screw driver. It simply clipped into two small apertures in the bottom of chassis. Surprised at the action you had to take.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Another frustrating day in the raid office. Spent an eternity tuning up a non-bowler model, had everything running great and began adding weight then noticed the magnet (doh).....

Charles your post made me double check what I'd done wrong with the bowler and your quiet right jimmy the magnet holder from the base and vola.

Even used some slot.it ballast putty to fill the magnet holder (the putty has been sitting on the shelf in packet for a while and it's not bonding well, squeeze and it begins to break up)

Another day and I might actually be done and dusted.....tyres aside.

Helped Dylan with some tuning on his Ford Ranger today, and I think it's even better than the orange monster.

Also, does anyone know if a Fly Porsche 934 is legal for classic rally?

Hi all.

My three cars are ready to go (fingers crossed). Gave all three a run on wood track today (Bowman Raceway). Times for what they are worth were WRC Subaru 5.803secs, HISTORIC Ford RS200 5.468 and RAID Land Rover Bowler Nemesis 6.261.

This was of course the first run for RAID truck. Ran nicely but a bit tippy. Whether this is typical remains to be seen. Certainly did not get the centre of gravity as low as I would have liked but you have to start somewhere. This is my first RAID entry.

See photo below.

IMG_7070_zpssnb65otc.jpg

Hope to post to Aussie in next couple of days.

Regards Chas Le Breton