White Line Fever

DRMF1

Hi everyone

with Andrew nearing the end of my track build my thoughts have been working overtime on dressing it up. I am of the less is more school particularly due to the fact there isn't a huge amount of room to work with. So it will be fairly basic but one thing I have wondered about is the white track border you see on all real and slot tracks and public roads.

I read somewhere else about a builder who glued on the white paper correction tape on the market but although it might work with a very neat line, what other ways have you done to acheive this effect?

I dread handpainting a line on both sides of the track, maybe a small roller (or similar) attached to a simple jig to maintain the straight line, I don't know.

Any advice gratefully received.

Dan

• 1 month later...

Well as much as I try I can't seem to get this white line thing to stick. I have tried pin striping several times and although it looks great it refuses to stick on the track, particularly around bends, for any length of time. I have tried paint pens, liquid paper and correction tape but nothing seems to look or work out as I had hoped.

Might need to tape up and hand paint the lines.

How have you guys achieved this line?

Dan

Hey Dan, you used to be able to get paint rollers eons ago. I used them when I used to paint lines on picture moulding. They had a syringe type sucky thing on them and you sucked the paint up wiped the excess off and away you went. The rollers (which were interchangeable) varied in width from about 2.5 - 5mm and you held it just like a pen, it was about 20mm round. Very easy to use if they're still available somewhere.

check this out - http://www.examiner.com/article/easy-pinstriping-with-the-beugler-roller-striper

Edited by Wobble
bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

I have a Beugler and several wheels, but they are mighty expensive in Australia. You'll be looking at around $200.

Do you know what sort of paint surface you have on the track?

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I have a Beugler and several wheels, but they are mighty expensive in Australia. You'll be looking at around $200.

Do you know what sort of paint surface you have on the track?

Holy Moly Batman

$200? I don't suppose you want to hire yours out for a short time Ember? ;-)

I will keep trying various methods, but the surface of the track, pretty standard paint surface I would have thought, is not particularly grippy for the pinstripe tape.

Thanks

Dan

Hey Dan, you used to be able to get paint rollers eons ago. I used them when I used to paint lines on picture moulding. They had a syringe type sucky thing on them and you sucked the paint up wiped the excess off and away you went. The rollers (which were interchangeable) varied in width from about 2.5 - 5mm and you held it just like a pen, it was about 20mm round. Very easy to use if they're still available somewhere.

check this out - http://www.examiner....-roller-striper

Hi Wobble

Yes I recall the very small rollers and I have looked everywhere over here but can't find them.

Thanks for the post I was wondering what a Beugler was until I looked at the link.

Dan

Have a look here - http://www.misterart.com/display-presentation/sign-supplies/marshalltown-single-line-striper-set.html

The last time I tried to buy from them they wouldn't sell outside the US/Canada but you can use a forwarding agent, I think Aust Post provides that service now.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Have a look here - http://www.misterart...triper-set.html

The last time I tried to buy from them they wouldn't sell outside the US/Canada but you can use a forwarding agent, I think Aust Post provides that service now.

Wow, now we're talking Garry. That's the sort of thing (and price) I was thinking of from the outset. Thanks.

Dan

check this out - http://www.examiner....-roller-striper

Hi Wobble

Yes I recall the very small rollers and I have looked everywhere over here but can't find them.

Thanks for the post I was wondering what a Beugler was until I looked at the link.

Dan

I used to be a Beugler in the Beoys Breigeade

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Bugger, Mister Art won't forward to a postal Box which is the method Aus Post employ. :angry:

Correction:

No, wait : Reading more slowly this time I read this...

We do ship to APO/FPO and post office box addresses. APO/FPO delivery times may vary significantly. Some restrictions apply based on value and weight of order. Unfortunately, we cannot ship items marked No-Fly, Freight, or Factory Direct to APO/FPO and P.O. Box addresses.

Edited by DRMF1

I bought my Beugler from the States when I was buying a few airbrushes. Three airbrush kits and postage, with the Beugle kit thrown in was still cheaper than one airbrush kit and postage here. Sad, but true.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I'm inclined to think it's probably going to be the best and simplest way.

• Upvote 1

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg