Advice For Ancient Newbie

DRMF1

Hi everyone

I have returned to slot cars after too many decades away and have rushed in and ordered a smallish, routed, track built for home use.

I am seeking your collective expertise on voltage regulators, in paricular I am looking at purchasing a Professor Motor PMTR1400B 15 Amp 0-20V Power Supply for the track.

Sure it is only going to be a 2 lane track but suitable for 1/32 and 1/24 scale, analogue only at this point. My question is, do you think it is necessary to buy this item? I would rather be prepared than not, and cost is not a factor, merely expediency.

Further, I have been trying to sort through the myriad of hand controllers available now that might be suitable and I have tentatively settled on this:

PMTR2111 Scale Racer Pro controller, positive polarity

I want to start out as I mean to go on, and have equipment that I can expect to grow with me and last for many years. However, again, do you think this is overkill on my part or am I heading down the right track.

Thanks in advance. Dan

Hi Dan

Whereabouts are you? Are you here in Australia? NZ or USA??

That power supply looks fine. If you are from Australia you will find there are plenty of PS like that available from electronics stores and site sponsors.

PM Controllers are good - plenty of chaps where I race have them.

Though the PMTR2110 might be a better option

as it operates at 10-15v which is what most 1/32 cars run at. A chat to the folks at PM will tell you if it is suitable to run at higher volts if you want to run say Carrera 1/24 cars which like 18v

Other options for similar money would be the Scorpius Wireless Controller, the TruSpeed Controller from UK and there is a DS Racing Controller that has gotten good reviews on Slotcar Illustrated - the DS-3506 - visit the 132slotcar.us website and have a look

any of these controllers are good starting points

cheers

David

Edited by dangermouse

Have a look at Jaycar. You'll find they have suitable variable power supplies for around $100 and you won't have to worry about the crazy shipping price from the US.

• Upvote 1

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

First off welcome aboard, I did see your intro but why type twice huh.

If you are in oz, the is the best value for money.

http://www.mrslotcar...5vdca-0-15-amps

I have two and use them for both analogue and digital tracks as well as tyre truer and model train in fact almost everything, they perform well and when tested provide a true and stable voltage.

In regards to the PM controllers I have two of those as well, not the pro series though, the club series

http://www.professormotor.com/product-p/pmtr2116.htm

I'm very happy with these too, you don't have to go pro with everything.

Edited by ZeGas

Hi Dan

Would you happen to be from QLD?

I'm building a 2 lane track for a gentleman from QLD at the moment.

I would also recommend the Mrslotcar power supply, I've used a few.

I also prefer and recommend the Professor motor controllers.

Cheers

Andrew

A man without a woman is like a neck without a pain.

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful. Yes Andrew I am that guy from Queensland and yes you are building my track. If it helps I can demand privacy and withhold permission to publish photos of my track. But I think the cat has escaped that bag so you do what you think best.

Yes, thanks Phil, I located the forum and a damn good move that was.

Sorry guys, I didn't think it was overly important at the time I but yes I live in Qld, Brisbane and I am re-entering the slot car fray so my knowledge of things needs some serious updating. So far I am very impressed and thankful for all your information.

Sure, well USA uses 110 volt AC power. So anything designed to run only on 110 volt won't work in Oz or NZ as we use 230 volt AC power.

- I'm a dealer/distributor for PM in NZ, so I've looked at their supplies before with the thought of bringing a pile in, but they weren't suitable.

SOME devices are designed to use either input voltage - eg Laptop power supplies are often built with internal sensors for the AC.

But I am doubtful a bench lab supply like that would be. None of the previous models sold by PM could use 230 volt input, they just give out lots of smoke signals then wander off to that place where electrical things go to die :):)

As per what some said above, there is a decent 15 amp supply from Jaycar that would do you nicely.

http://www.jaycar.co...Supply/p/MP3800

I've wholesaled those ex Jaycar myself in NZ, and use one to power my bench lathes etc.

Haven't ever heard of one falling over.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

I have both the Jaycar unit SlotsNZ mentions and the one from Mobile Raceway. I've got to say the Jaycar one is better. More robust if you will. The adjustment on the MR unit is a bit... feeble.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Agreed Embs, the amp knob on the MR unit broke on the first day, didn't matter though as I had set it to 15 amps and the bucket will only fill as much as it needs anyway so no bigger, Dan if you do go for this unit make sure you set the amp knob right up and then forget it. The volt knob is a bit more sturdy.

Having said that my other unit has had no probs at all.

• 2 months later...