Auto Art Motors

Wobble

Last week we had CanAm cars on the agenda for one of the nights classes so I decided to give my Monogram Hulme McLaren M6a a run. While racing I figured it needed a bit more weight towards the rear and also it screamed like a banshee so during the week I decided to have a look see inside it. It is quite some time since I've paid it any attention so was quite surprised to see an Auto Art red band motor sitting in there that I'd swapped previously and forgotten about. The screaming was caused by too much tension between the pinion and spur gear. I had previously replaced the standard 12 tooth pinion with a Slot.It 11 tooth so a bit of grinding paste took care of the noise. The car is still running the standard rear axle and 36 tooth spur although the hubs have been turned to fit NSR Supergrips for 917K. After adding a bit of weight I tried the car again last night in the pre 80's purpose built race car class. The thing that surprised me was how much poke these Auto Art motors actually have. Although the car still doesn't corner as well as it might, on the straights it was holding its own with a Slot.It PB and Matra. I have a few of these motors, so now I'm wondering what I can use them in. I've got a Slot.It Toyota 88c body and chassis that was given to me that I'm intending to change to sidewinder, and now I'm thinking I might just try 1 of these motors in it to see what they are really capable of.

Interested to know if anyone has tried playing around with these motors and if so keen to hear your results

Edited by Wobble
bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Pretty zippy motors according to slotcarnews motor list

Auto Art "red stripe" (FC-130) 26,000 RPM/12; tested 27,360 RPM/12v

Thanks for that dm, explains why my AA C-Type and D-Type Jags had too much sting. They run a lot better with a 14k MT motor

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Stock auto art motors are about 24k.

Stock revel motors are between 24 and 26k, bit have a little less torque, and hence, less brakes.

Oh, and my biggest issue with AutoArt's...

Their weird choice for gearing...

Murcuilago, 10/28 gearing

Countach, 14/34 gearing

Both have 'large' tyres @ ~20mm, so it's not like they need tall gearing to compensate.

In fact, the Countach is still overgeared after swapping out the stock 24-26k motor for a Carrera 18k.

Also, with the Revell's, I swapped a Slot.it Orange can into several now, and whilst they don't have as much top speed (and it's not that much less), they are doing at least 0.5 sec a lap quicker times due to having much better brakes, and better acceleration.

To be honest, I wouldn't be suprised if the stock AutoArt motor and the stock Revel motor are the same motor...

Oh, and my biggest issue with AutoArt's...

Their weird choice for gearing...

Murcuilago, 10/28 gearing

Countach, 14/34 gearing

Both have 'large' tyres @ ~20mm, so it's not like they need tall gearing to compensate.

In fact, the Countach is still overgeared after swapping out the stock 24-26k motor for a Carrera 18k.

Also, with the Revell's, I swapped a Slot.it Orange can into several now, and whilst they don't have as much top speed (and it's not that much less), they are doing at least 0.5 sec a lap quicker times due to having much better brakes, and better acceleration.

To be honest, I wouldn't be suprised if the stock AutoArt motor and the stock Revel motor are the same motor...

Have to agree on the gearing of AA cars too. My Muira has got Scaley gears now and a Pioneer motor and is a totally different car.

I used to think the Revell and AA motors might be the same until I opened 1 to have a look. The AA motor has the same carbon disc arrangement on the com as Scaley motors have so I figure it's actually a big brother version of those rather than Revell.

A few years ago I tried an AA motor in a Carrera Talladega so it could keep up with the Monogram stockers but it ended up blitzing them so it's now got an 18k Hawk.

Makes me think the torque characteristics of the AA motor are superior to Revell motors too. Come to think of it, that's probably what made me have a look inside to see what makes it tick.

Edited by Wobble
bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Pretty zippy motors according to slotcarnews motor list

Auto Art "red stripe" (FC-130) 26,000 RPM/12; tested 27,360 RPM/12v

Pretty zippy alright.

Tonight we had Group C on the agenda so a Slot.It Toyota 88C body and chassis only that I'd been given was made ready to race. It got a sidewinder pod and rear end as well as the usual bits and bobs required to get the car mobile. It also got NSR 5230 Supergrips and a red band AA motor with 33:10 gearing to see how it would stack up against the Slot.It cars, overall weight 76gm.

It didn't have quite the same punch out of the corners and the brakes needed to be wound up a bit higher to slow it but by the end of the back straight it was gaining on the standard orange end bell cars. Slightly lower gearing eg. 34:10 or 35:10 would suit better, give it the extra punch, better brakes and tame the top end a bit and put it on par with the others.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the outcome and made use of a motor that's been sitting in the parts bin for yonks. Good to know I finally have a use for them.

Edited by Wobble
bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg