slotcarmann

Round 6 - Manx Rally - Part 1

One can argue a difference between repairs and rebuild.

But whatever.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Hi Slotcarmann and all.

I can see where Branco, Gazza, Rosco and Ember are coming from so retire my car if you must.

As these are standard cars however I think some of the comments are a bit mean spirited. My car is completely standard but strengthened where allowed (wheel hubs with cotton/resin and motor glued in).plus motor leads soldered to chicken legs. It appeared to be running OK at end of R5 after about 17 rounds and goodness knows how many stages in total over the last 2 years. There have certainly be many incidences where chicken legs and other things have been fixed. over the 3 years I have been following or competing in this event. Clearly the rules must allow.

I agree car improvements should not be allowed and I am sure nobody expects same.

I am in your hands Slotcarmann. If you think the repair required to my car constitutes an improvement to original which I very much doubt well I deserve whatever decision you make on the future of my car. I suspect however something has either shifted or broken as a result of race damage - hopefully easily fixed.

Regards Chas Le Breton

As one of those mentioned in the above post, I am pretty sure we are not trying to "rock the boat" Indeed we all love this proxy.

At the same time surely we must be able to voice some concerns without every man and his dog throwing their toys out of the cot.

Over the years, to keep these standard SCX cars going, things like the chicken legs and plastic wheels have always been allowed to be repaired.

If cars run the same gear for several seasons then eventually they will wear out (I start each season with new ones), loose lead weights imo should just be removed.

Thanks for clarifying the rules Miveson, especially this one...Repairs must be finished prior to the start of the next round. Slotcarmann has stated that the start of this rally has been delayed whilst these repairs are being carried out.

Normally I would hit the delete button about now but what the hell....POST

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Can understand the comments , but as it,s the last year of this event and in the spirit of the thing i think there should be a smile :)

Hi guys

It's supposed to be fun.... B)

I appreciate that most people won't have spent much on, or devoted too much time to their cars, given this is the final year of this spec, so I am simply trying to make sure all the cars can compete - and complete - our rounds and hopefully the later ones. I didn't want to start a stage and then find I had to DNF anyone. Alexis car was not working and Gazza's was barely drivable, so I have dealt with the worst cases and will look at a handful more before I start today, in case there's something broken/loose. There do seem to be more problems this year....but I am running out of spares....lol

As everyone has paid their money, it would be a shame if they weren't able to complete the series.

If I get the chance, I'll run more than one stage today and get some photos: this is much easier to do this year with the reduced number of cars. :P

We're still on schedule to get the cars to Greece in good time - and I have to leave IoM for a family wedding in the UK next Thursday (20th) morning anyway, so it's all systems go.... :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Edited by slotcarmann

Good on yer Dave and the best of British to all entrants

Morning all

UPDATE

----------

All the cars safely completed Stage 1 yesterday on the red lane of the Ballayorkley race track. That's not to say that all cars enjoyed it.... -_- , but on the whole no real major problems.

I also ran Stage 2 on the Glen Vine Forest track and ran into serious problems with a few of the cars, specifically with the little copper legs that drop down to make contact with the braids. This affected half a dozen of the cars. The issue is that there are a number of tight turns and quick directional changes, with which some of the guides could not cope. Some of the cars had one leg that was stuck up inside the guide-holder - sounds painful and indeed it badly affected some of the cars :huh: .

This problem had hardly shown up on the previous stage, which has sweeping turns, so as it was mid-round all I could do was have a quick twiddle. Apologies to all affected, whom I will identify in the results for Stage 2, but I did my best: I think maybe some of the guides are getting a bit long in the tooth and have had a right bashing over the years! All tyres and braids were cleaned between stages.

Will post up Stage 1 results shortly.

We'll be running 3 Rounds in the limited time we have before the cars head off to Greece.

Hopefully we will get all the stages finished by the end of this weekend.

I'll check the cars over again between the Rounds and before they head off to Greece.

We ran out of time yesterday for photos and videos, but will be doing them on Thursday, as we'll be down at the club all day from about 10am to 10pm.

Cheers

Dave

Ahead of the real photos, here are a couple to give you an idea of Ballayorkley track:

CIMG7344_zps24bsvwat.jpg

Blue lane is on the outside of the long straight to the right; Red on the inside of that straight; and yellow is the middle lane.

CIMG7378_zpsh77qfowq.jpg

Edited by slotcarmann

Here are the results for Stage 2 from Dave.

R6_s2_zpsgufvapmv.jpg

And the tally so far

R6_s12_zpsudzf19zy.jpg

Stage 3 to come.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I like the glen vine stage, keep up the good work.

Hi Dave great running by the way , but i was wondering if you can shed any light on whats happened to my car in stage 2 for instance Ben M done 154.820 with 2 off,s and my car in 9th 164.150 with no off,s was wondering if i,ve got motor trouble as at one stage it was running quite quickly .

Hello Dave, great stuff, many thanks to you and crew. Glen Vine Forest looks like a nice layout, although a bit short trees for a forest...

Interesting that my car did well on the fast stage - confirms my thoughts that it is quick but is a bit rough in handling.

Leo

Edited by Scuderia_Turini

Like_1.gifLike Scuderia Turini on Facebook Please Vote Up my postings - green arrow at top right :- )

Hi guys, a few comments for you....

Car 111 - It's a quick car, no doubt about it, but unfortunately it didn't seem to be completely stable on Stage 2, so I was a bit hesitant to push it too hard. Maybe I should have done.... ;)

Car 17 - Yes, Leo, it is reasonably quick but doesn't handle as well as some of the other fast cars. The Glen Vine stage really does challenge the handling. Your car also had guide/braid problems affecting electrical conductivity. I'm afraid the trees are on strike and the sheep have done a runner. I'm hoping to find them tomorrow.... :lol:

Car 27 - It's a very quick car. There's nothing "sus" about it, I was trying too hard, simple as that :unsure: . Every car has different points on the track where it needs to tread carefully, and hopefully I have learnt the limits for your car, for future runnings of that stage.

Cars with all the screws fully tightened will struggle on it.

Stage 3 will be run tomorrow.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by slotcarmann

Morning all

Stage 3 takes place today - I'm due at Mike Buss' basement man-cave about 10am. Photos and videos will be taken.

Got photos of all cars on Glen Vine Forest stage yesterday, so will start posting these up tonight, along with Stage 3 results and overall scores after the completion of Round 6.

Podium shots and photos/videos need doing for Ballayorkley and videos also for Glen Vine Forest.

More news this evening.... :)

Cheers

Dave

So am I Peter, but I think of myself as mature....rather than old.... :lol:

Some might argue with that, of course, given that I still play with toy cars....ha ha

Edited by slotcarmann

Hi folks

Absolutely cream-crackered after the final 4 stages today :wacko: ....so I'm off to bed for some shut-eye now and will post the results of stage 3 and some photos early in the morning....apologies all, hope the suspense doesn't get too much for you B)

Nighty night....