Round 6 - Manx Rally - Part 1

slotcarmann

Hi folks

Welcome to the 2015 Isle of Man rounds.... :)

Cars arived safely yesterday and have had a preliminary, untimed 5 lap shake-down, round our 3 lane Ballayorkley wooden race track.

All bar one made it round, although some were quite rattly and some quite tight. Cars 59, 111, 13 and a handful of others stood out, but fastest was car 35 (well, it was set up on that track -_-). It's a speed track, so not representative of some of the twistier ones.

I'll be doing a light service on all the cars and will see if this will free up some of the tight ones, before I do the proper shake-down this weekend.

Unfortunately, Alexis' car is the sick one. :unsure: The gear meshes had effectivley seized, and I understand that Martyn had some problems with it related to the wheels, so this may be related. It is currently in bits whilst I try to work out a lasting fix. It may need replacement axles/gears: I think I may have some lying about from previous versions of my car.

I'll report back in day a couple of days with specific comments and photos, after the service halt and shakedown.

Cheers

Dave

PS - will someone please pin this?

Thanks Dave.

No need to pin the topic. It's in the directory dedicated to the event and will remain at the top of the list until you start posting in another thread.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

You'd better make sure that there's no attractive scenery around to take Graham's attention from the task at hand. Fortunately Jacks pretty handy at throwing a car around on the dirt if necessary.

• Upvote 1

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Hi folks

@Alexis - see Post #1 above.... <_<

Will have an update by tomorrow.

Running order for Stage 1, decided by random number generator:-

1:-59

2:-49

3:-25

4:-35

5:-19

6:-27

7:-14

8:-111

9:-9

10:-36

11:-88

12:-13

13:-2

14:-72

15:-81

16:-46

17:-17

18:-82

19:-20

20:-66

21:-11

Servicing continues this evening.

Cheers

Dave

Hi folks

Had a more thorough shakedown today and we have a few dodgy cars, apart from Alexis' Skoda, despite the "light" service carried out on all cars.

Nisko's car is noisy, rattly on right hand bends and jumps out of the slot on straights; Gazza's car sounds like a box of frogs (and then some) and I'm not sure the gears will last out; Bigmanrallies' Skoda has no get up and go as the gears are pretty tight; Branco's car is noisy and slow; Phil's car is slow and you can't power it out of corners, only gas it when it's in a straight line; Charles X's car is very noisy; Knealer's car is tight and has a high-pitched whine; Ember's car is sometimes quick and sometimes slower and skittish on corners.

So I'll have to have a closer look at those ones before we run for real tomorrow - I'll do what I can to improve them in the time I have available.

We'll run the first stage on red lane (the slowest) on our 3 lane Ballayorkley race-track.

The second stage will be on Glen Vine Forest, which is a purpose-built single lane wooden rally stage - covering a 12ft x 4ft area.

Will get some photos and videos tomorrow.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Slotcarmann.

No idea what's wrong with my car all of a sudden. Has something shifted or does it need lubricating.

It had previously run without problem for 2 years and seems great when it left NZ. The rigors of rallying I suppose.

I am in your hands.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)

Hmmm....Intermittent problems are never good. Sounds like motor gunk or power flow. I can't even remember what I did to my car anymore, to be honest. There was so much going on at the time.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

HI folks

Just some follow-up comments....here before breakfast looking at some of the cars.

All cars had a light oiling (bearings and pinions) and a braid/tyre clean before yesterday's run. None were opened (except Alexis').

@CharlesX - Not sure of the problem, the gears are noisy. Will need a look inside.

@Ember - when it goes, it goes really well - but it did slow down noticeably. Having looked at it, I'm thinking maybe the driver tray is slightly loose and rubbing on one of the rear wheels. Will investigate.

@teamredracing - Not the quickest but smooth, no major problems, but the car was slightly twitchy at the rear.

Don't forget, this was on our race-track, which has some wide sweeping curves and some tighter ones, both left and right - and a down-hill cork-screw, so it will test a car's driveability at speed and the ability to get the power on when leaving a corner.

Wish me luck today...! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Dave

Hi Gazza

Opened your box of tricks and it looks like it's spent a few years lying somewhere in the Outback, full of general shite.... :lol:

Having cleaned that out, I found a loose left front wheel and the root cause of the noise, chewed teeth on the rear crown gear, with too much sideways rear axle movement.

Couldn't find the bloody frogs though!

I have a second-hand axle which I am about to install: it has used teeth, but that has to be much better than the half teeth you had in it.... B)

Will ensure all wheels are reglued properly.

We'll see how that improves it...!

Cheers

Dave

PS - none of your tyres are glued to the rims and one of the rear rims has separated from the hub.... :o:angry::ph34r:

Edited by slotcarmann

So, Gazza's chassis rebuilt....

Had to re-solder one of the inside motor contacts to the copper strip on the chassis.

Swapped the front axle into the rear.

The broken rear wheel wasn't up to the task, even with superglue applied and I also damaged one of the tyres, so I've used the rear axle as the front axle, with a couple of spare Mitsi wheels and SCX tyres on, as I don't have any spare MJK's. Will true them down at the club.

All wheels have a bead of superglue run around the bosses to stop them splitting and all tyres are now glued to the outside edge of the rims.

Only need to clean the inside of the body and re-attach to the chassis.

However, there is something rattling between the body and driver's pan....but I'm not going to open that can of worms....lol :)

Cheers

Dave

Final report for tonight....

Alexis' car is now sorted, hopefully...! :) Haven't run it on a track yet.

Reattached 1 side lead piece, 1 bottom lead piece, removed all wheels and worked on loosening the axles in the bearings and also the gear mesh. That took about 90 minutes....then reglued the wheels on, after relocating the motor in its cradle, gluing it in place and then re-soldering the motor contacts to the base contacts. Didn't need to use any different axles.

The gears on Bigmanrallies' car appear to be a little looser, but they're still not right yet. <_<

As a result of all the stripping and rebuilding issues, I wasn't able to run a stage today :o , but will do so tomorrow. Will also have a good look at Chas' and Nisko's cars.

But at least they're all running now....lol :rolleyes:

Just enjoying a glass of Shiraz....by way of relaxation after a stressful day! :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Edited by slotcarmann

Only round 6 and a lot of mechanical issues.

Are the cars all getting past their use by date, poor preparation or just had a hard time?

My car has had the body rebuilt, so anything could be wrong with it.If the body broke then the chassis could also be cracked.

I think there should be some kind of time penalty involved for all cars that get repairs done. Just like 1:1 rallies.

I believe that we all wish to see every car perform to its best, but is it fair on those competitors who have built solid cars that battle away in the midfield then see other cars get rebuilds along the way to make them more competitive.

My car had a dodgy motor when it left NZ but I hoped it could see out its last season with not too many dramas and if it does die, so be it, off to the rubbish bin.

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion