Only $39.99

jphanna

Got a call from my cousin 2 weeks ago. hadn't seen his face for a year or 2. we used to be close in 70's and 80s. he tells me he is going to build a 4 lane track. he did have a scaley plastic track in early 90's, which I bought off him, in mid 90's. other commitments meant slot cars were pushed aside for a few decades. now, older with successful business, married and wants to race slot cars with his kids in his shed.

he knew I was into it and asked for my advice on stuff. I offered to introduce him to several track builders In adelaide, as I got no idea about building tracks. he asked me about buying some NSR and Slot It cars and what tools etc. I gave him specific instructions and off he went to buy his stuff.

he wanted me to show him how to look after them. I had a week off this week so I visit him and we pulled apart a few cars and I showed him some basics. we finally kicked back and cut some laps on a plastic scaley track. surprisingly the NSR and slot It cars went ok on plastic, although controllers were getting overheated and smelling a bit.

his lovely wife greeted us and made us coffee. was nice afternoon. once she left to go back in the house, it was then that he showed me the NSR and Slot It containers with his black texta marking over the price tag.

$39.99........so as not to upset the wife. that moment made my day. I was thinking....... you too?

How many guys do the same thing in Australia? Myself, I pull the car apart before I leave the track dealer and discard the wrapping. all that is visable is a black chassis on workbench. nothing unusual there......

Shed People Mutual Admiration Society

2 times Australian National Champion

1991-Flexicar 1999- Group 12 Sedan

kev,

if I had to compare a single $100 car to a pair of women boots or clothing, that cost the same.......... I figure this. there is a lot of garments or boxes of shoes that have never been worn, thrown into a cupboard. still with price tag on, 3 year after they were purchased.

my single car, the time it has been stripped and rebuilt is already 2 hours minimum, of enjoyment. plus talking about it and hearing other people new projects at same time, exchanging ideas, then the shakedown run, which can go either way. is it better than the car it replaces? if yes, bragging rights start at next race, if no, try some left field ideas and see how it responds.

all this time this new car is engaging my mind. this can take weeks before its ready to race, or relegated to a tyre scrubber. my $100.00 seems a drop in an ocean with the excitement of developing a new car. all of a sudden, those out of fashion garments and fancy unused boots seem a huge waste of $$$$

why hide it? I cant be seen to be enjoying myself with another new car.

Not everyone has the type of relationship you seem to have with your lady, John.

I buy HL's cars when I buy mine. I buy his fishing gear. I buy his fossicking gear. I don't buy his booze, because he drinks more than me. And I don't buy his archery and hunting gear because it's too expensive for me. He buys that himself.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Lynne,

I have said it before.......and I will say it again. you are a very special person and he is a lucky man.

I stopped taking my Prescription medicine to raise funds for slots I might die soon but it is worth it LOL.

I to make the outer wrap and box disappear. Then I take a que I have seen used by my mother and sisters in the past. "What this car No I have had it for ages you only just noticed?"

Has been a womanly trick for decades that one. (I also am certain to put my receipt in the bin to!!!).Cowardly I know but she is small and very mean

Mick

Oh s#!t she is coming have to go bye

Edited by BigMick

Mr Walrus,

again, a lucky man. treasure what you got.

Big Mick, I buy my cars one by one. I seen you shopping at tbirds. you make Roger Peske look like a kid saving up to buy a packet of chewies.

• Upvote 1

I've also been seen to be pushing the boundaries of late regarding this complulsion. I've just bought a sidewinder white kit that the better half does not know abou yet until it arrives in the post. Wonder if I can say it's for a build for someone else at the club hmmm.

My lovely tolerant wife also scares me sometimes. If I'm not there for a few weeks Mick you'll know why

I also must be one of the lucky ones

my wife has no interest in my hobby other than making out she is

to be fair I have no interest in hers either { I just don't get on line gaming }

if I can't touch it,pull it apart and put back together or even design and create it I think it is just a waste of time

that said she is supportive of me and lets me get on with enjoying what makes me happy

and I do the same for her and that is all that really maters

I don't hide what I spend from her

and she doesn't hide what she spends from me

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Big Mick,

I think the Roger Penske comparison was a bit of a stretch. im sorry. you buy second hand stuff as well.

The guys that get supported, you got real treasure. you deserve it. enjoy.

in many cases, maybe if they spent lots of time playing with dolls, we may question them, just as they question why grown men play with toy cars. there has to be a reason

Should have been there last night mate Penske would have been proud. No I think some of our other contributors to this thread might have missed the attempted humor. I confess I am a better golfer than comedian it would seem.

I wont try irony again I just don't have the nack

I am off to spotlight to buy up big for the missus, get some points for my next spend. s#!t I said I was not going to do it again!!!

Edited by BigMick

When I owned the Slotcar shop in Canberra, I was amazed at how many husbands hid their new slotcar purchases from "the wife".

a favourite saying of my father-in-laws, "if you get enjoyment from something you shouldn't have to justify it"..

I wonder what else you do behind your wife's back.

I been in fellow slot car racers garages with hundreds of cars stacked up. never opened as well. I could never get away with that.

I got just enough race cars to cover my need at various venues I race at. they stay in boot of my car, 24/7 as they have been known to disappear when the mood has been sour. so my poor cars go bouncing around whenever I drive around. only when they break, do I replace them. that is not overspending.

I don't have the massive budgets some people I race with have, I do spned from time to time and sometimes overspend. Lately with my wife out of work it's been extremely tight.

But I will always let her know what I've bought or if I want something or need something for a upcoming race. And then we budget accordingly so that I can afford to purchase.

mosler.jpg

My old mosler has a tear in front of chassis and body. i laboured for 2 weeks before i decided to get this stunning replacement last night. why? i had seen SW moslers completely outclass King versions in some races. critical ones..... my old mosler is a kingAW21. then by chance i drove 2 SW moslers within 3 days of each other. one was a box stock slug and one was half set up, but not very fast at all. i took a chance and hope that Mario or Giuseppe was in a good mood when he put the motor together. maybe some hot italian lovin, that morning, followed by a big bowl of pasta, with his favourite sauce. then he rolled up to work, put my new car together. will soon find out anyway.

3 words summarise my feelings towards this car.......YOU COMPLETE ME.

Edited by jphanna

You just re-painted the one you had didn't you...

lol