snurfen

Rnd 4 - The Taffcropolis Rally

I'm about to start assembling Russ' Pinewood stage to host round 4. I'll take some pictures as a I do it, as it's an assembly on my dining table. I'm doing it on a day off, whilst the Mrs is in work, otherwise she'd have my guts for garters - it's still touch and go whether she gives me a good hiding, but as she's on lates today I can probably keep her out of the dining room this evening.

The pictures my be a little slow coming through as I got a bit leathered over the weekend, two very heavy sessions to mark a good friend's 60th birthday. Wrinkly old git

This is the sort of mood we were in - Rich and Paul pretending to be scolded for parking Nigel's bike..

IMG_0085_zpsly9jkev4.jpg

Edited by snurfen

wosautos12.gif

How to set up a stage (and hope your good lady wife doesn't go ape when she finds out!).

Clear the dining table and line with high density foam you bring home from work

P1030929_zpsvdrnaqge.jpg

Cover it with foamex- more protection!

P1030930_zps3dns7ant.jpg

Put the two full length transoms in place and start laying the boards.

P1030931_zpsufzdyeub.jpg

Spend the rest of the day putting the trees up! Chopped up fake Christmas trees poked into drilled holes.

P1030932_zpsbddixmo7.jpg

P1030933_zpskgrv7yrn.jpg

Many thanks to Russ Powell for the loan of Pinewood. I'll run the first heat in around hours time.

wosautos12.gif

Excellent work Snurfen

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Time for a little continuity test, then run the cars around for two or three laps to make sure I haven't broken anything since Round 3.

I think I'll also take the photos for this round.

wosautos12.gif

Just had a lovely supper of cold shoulder, followed by a large slice of humble pie!

Say cheeeeeeeeze.............

P1030937_zps74unw0uv.jpg

P1030968_zpsifnasoix.jpgflij.jpg.html]P1030971_zps6epzflij.jpgP1030966_zpsald4kog5.jpg

P1030965_zpszrn1irxi.jpg

P1030964_zps9jxgzxih.jpg

P1030963_zpsdaneh4wj.jpg

P1030961_zpswekuccwa.jpg

P1030960_zpstca51lzk.jpg

P1030959_zpsslgppvar.jpg

P1030958_zps2zes3dvb.jpg

P1030955_zpsafqk5sk8.jpg

P1030954_zpskhbqtq0r.jpgP1030952_zpsr4wzujft.jpg

P1030951_zpshjpnc4fv.jpg

P1030949_zpszmlmfisy.jpg

P1030948_zps2eo7etao.jpg

P1030947_zpskwmn7k2h.jpg

P1030946_zpss2huxegi.jpg

P1030962_zpsckfxkjm7.jpg

wosautos12.gif

Graham actually seems to be concentrating on what he's doing for a change.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

He's got his wits about him in the trees, fair play to the lad.

I finally saw what the problem was with no 82! One of the chicken legs isn't moving freely - gummed up with glue from the weight. I took a load of pics and fixed the issue - should run better in this round. Will post pics of fix tomorrow.

So here we go - 15 laps forward tonight, 15 in reverse - possibly tomorrow morning or more like Thursday afternoon, then 15 laps on Friday in the direction I enjoyed driving best out of the previous two heats, let's start........

5,4,3,2,1,WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-aaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Edited by snurfen

wosautos12.gif

Here we go with the results - look at our most improved car, BigmanRallies. Just a bit of chicken leg unsticking and boom, she's a goer (still a tight old motor, but loosening up with every outing).

Again, the cars I thought were creaming it were about 4 or 5 seconds off the pace. Odd!

R4H1_zpsxo17cpki.png

Edited by snurfen

wosautos12.gif

Congrats to the top 3 for the Stage. And a special mention for the Bigman. Nice bit of tinkering there Snurf.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

She drove so smoothly Ben - very predictable on this track. Biggest plus is predictable braking into the two big bends and the following bend just before the crossover.

wosautos12.gif

Thanks Martyn for the stage.I know from previous years that for some odd reason my cars dont like South Wales stages (despite Swansea beeing a second home town to me as my son is a student there)

but dead last?And whats worse behind nisko?Congrats to the winners

gallery_2645_1402_6823.jpg

Yeah Alexis that surprised me also. Martyn has not shown the "offs", presumably your car suffered with several or perhaps a long one.

Thanks Martyn, hope you didn't get too much ear-ache for taking over the dining table !

Like_1.gifLike Scuderia Turini on Facebook Please Vote Up my postings - green arrow at top right :- )

Not much ear ache YET!

I didn't run heat 2 last night - Mrs had me digging her allotment (no double-entendres intended), I'll be running it tonight, seeing as it's raining again.

I'll take it apart and have a good look Alexis, it's rattling like crazy and really didn't like the fast corners, very easily tipping out of the slot. Also, your motor didn't feel as good as last year. To be honest, I can't remember whether it was too punchy or too sluggish, but I definitely thought "Not as good as last year" whilst driving it on this track.

The rattling was a combination of body noise and what sounded like poor gear meshing. I'll let you know this evening what is going on under the bonnet!

**EDIT** Don't loose too much hope, it's got another two heats of this round to make up time, so not necessarily the end of the road yet.

Edited by snurfen

wosautos12.gif

Ok, here are the pics of what was wrong with BigManRallies chcken legs - ll sorted and unning like a mule train!

CL2_zps4up2audt.jpg

CL1_zpsheao3r5s.jpg

And here is Aexis main problem -wheels assymetric and 3 out of four poking out of the arches - I fixed the rers ver easily. but the fronts are on solid.\Not shown in the photos yet (battery for camera on charge) is the front right wheel is higer off the ground thn the left - hence the deslots. The bearings are glued in but e is a noticeable difference when you see the car coming towards you.

AL%20RN1_zpsojqxqz7x.jpg

Al%20OF1_zpsnnr0vzfk.jpg

AL%20FN1_zpsrdpbqbd0.jpg

Al%20F%20in%202_zpsh7inzion.jpg

Al%20F%20in%202_zpsh7inzion.jpg

wosautos12.gif

It's been a bit of a long week, so after driving heat 2, I broke out the Calva.

drinky_zpsjxyroefj.jpg

Luckily, I typed this lot up before I got too carried away The left is ordered by total time, the right by time in Heat 2.Seeing as we're only hitting the 4 minute mark, I'm going to run four heats in total in this round (unless anyone objects strongly!).

R4%20H2_zpsoyzxnxqm.png

• Upvote 1

wosautos12.gif

A Kiwi 1 - 2 in heat 2, sorry I let the team down guys.

Well done.

How tight are the top 3!!!!

I really think you should drink plenty before heat 3 Martyn, would make it fun!!!

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Thanks Martyn,

Plenty of Pics :) If you get a chance could you sneak some MJK logos in ? ;)

Looks like I need to go back to the drawing board to build a car.

No track to test on didn't help - but no excuse -_-

BTW that Boulard is great for cleaning tyres. Drink some then lick the tyres B)

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

BTW that Boulard is great for cleaning tyres. Drink some then lick the tyres B)

I thought that's what he was using it for ....... you mean he actually drinks it :blink:

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Interesting big difference between some cars in heat 2 compared to heat 1, while others are relatively the same is that before and after the Boulard Martyn chuckle

Whatever it does keep drinking it Martyn, tho I'm more of a Jack Daniel's man. Thanks for running and hosting.

Good gear, went to bed half cut, woke up without a hangover.

The difference between the two directions is mainly how they handle the long straight. There is a bump half way along in it. In direction of heat 1 the straight leads on to an almost flat out sweeper, in heat 2 you are hard on the brakes into a very tight left (the bend before the esse's) . Cars that kick their arses in the air or whose guide jumps out of the slot have to come off full throttle and then brake a lot earlier. It can make a huge difference.

wosautos12.gif

Beating nisko is a relief,despite the low position.Thanks Martyn for looking into my car and running the round.Congratulations to the winners.

Last saturday we had the first test rally race.To wet your appetite:

gallery_2645_1402_6823.jpg