Rnd 3 - Wales Rally Gb

snurfen

Hello folks, cars arrived safely during the week. Have put the track (Dead man's Valley) up in the garage and am about to clean the braids, check the body screws and give them al a few gentle laps shakedown.

Bloody amazed to have a First and Second place under my belt already - can we call it the end of the championship now please? :D

As Dave will not be home for a few weeks, I'll happily set up a second round next weekend, using a different track - probably Pinewood, as being used on the Wye Valley Summer Classic Rally and Targa (have a look on SF). It's a fast-flowing MDF with lods of sliding involved.

Took a picture of each car on the track this afternoon, so will get them loaded this evening. Are we FBing the championship this year?

wosautos12.gif

Good luck with the running of this round Martyn.

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Cheers mate. Had a good shake down, all running ok, though Ember has a loose weight in there. Will glue back in place before running.

A couple of cars have non-centering guides. That's been a constant problem with these chicken legs over the years I've entered. A few more have a very wide front track, so if I pushed them too hard in tight bends, they were rubbing the front arches and having a good go at de-slotting.

Again this year some very hot motors, a similar number of very sluggish motors, but I most enjoyed the middle of the range motors whoich all seemed to have very good braking on them.

The thing that was most noticeable is how much we have improved over the years - the vast majority of cars were little beauts to drive, compared to just a few years back. also a pleasure to only have to drive 21 cars!

wosautos12.gif

Hi Martyn

Good luck with Rd 3 in Wales.

Love that Dead Man's Valley stage. It was always one of my favourites, so much concentration needed. B) And Pinewood....glad to see that may be coming out to play too, really nice flowing track.

I've also noticed a gradual overall improvement in car performance and handling, year on year. My and Barbs cars must just about be run in by now.... :lol:

Bigmanrallies' car has a slightly tight motor/gears, despite it being run on the power supply for a few hours and then for several hundred laps on our Ballayorkley circuit. Hopefully it will improve as the rounds progress!

Barbs and I leave for Cyprus this Tuesday (7th July) and return on Wednesday 29th July....it's a dirty job, but someone has to try and keep the Cypriot economy afloat in these financially difficult times :rolleyes:

Whilst we are way, I will be trying to arrange dates for the Isle of Man rounds with club colleagues. A number of stage owners will be having some holiday time in July and August, but we still hope to manage at least 6 different tracks....maybe more....to be held during August.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by slotcarmann

Nice one Dave!

so sunday's plans went to ratshit! Got 9 cars in, running like a drem, then POW! power drops off to nothing and cars won't complete a lap.

An hours fault finding then I get dragged off t a family barbie. That's what usNorthern Hemisphere types call "Barbecues". We cook various foods outdoors on a portable cooking device - you antipodeans ought to tryit, itwould suit your climate and outdoor attitude perfectly.

So get home late, try and look for a bad joint or obstruction causing a short - several jumpers re-soldered and no luck.

come home from work and repeat this evening, still no joy.

OK, let's get back to basics - time for this puppy

IMG_0050_zpssyc8csra.jpg

Sorted! invisible shorting device removed! Will start from scratch and run all cars again, as yesteray was about 30 degrees and dry as a bone, this evening it's 20 degrees and about 95% humidity.

As an aside, being a smartarse I took all the photos on Sunday in RAW format - buggered if I can get them edited - everytime I bring up the editing software I get just the one image in jpeg - embers car. Will try irfanview tomorrow evening, butany more suggestions gratefully recieved.

wosautos12.gif

Hope no horses suffered during the investigation.

I always think that the best way to find a short is to increase the voltage until there is smoke.

Sorry, no idea on the raw images. Probably an area that Ember has expertise, but you may have offended her with the barbie wit... :D

Leo

Edited by Scuderia_Turini
Like_1.gifLike Scuderia Turini on Facebook Please Vote Up my postings - green arrow at top right :- )

Lol, a BBQ in Britain......was it held indoors???

Hahahahaha.... I've missed you Snurfy. That Martyn guy is so staid.

I've not really had much experience with editing RAW photos with anything other than Photoshop. You should be able to download something from the camera maker's website that will either convert them or allow them to be edited. Such used to be the case with Canon. I would assume the other companies do it too.

Glad you've got the power issues sorted for now.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I was busting my bits to post last night, but it just wasn't having it - this is more or less what I was trying to say.......

Branco, it's consumer law in the UK that all new BBQs sold MUST come with an umbrella holder firmly attached.

Embs, I find it so easy to tear a strip of some of these "so called" experts and their pompous posts, that I have to really rein myself in on SF these days ;o)

OK, after finally sorting the track issues, I got all the cars done - I'm glad I didn't use the earlier times for the cars that had already completed their laps before it all went pop, as most cars were about 10 to 15 seconds slower inthe damp and colder conditions I ran in last evening.

So it all come flooding back to me, some cars start the heat running like a dog and steadily improve, others go in the opposite direction. On the whole, the cars are far more consistent across the field than they have been in previous years - we must be learning something. About a quarter of the cars were absolute beauts to drive, those that stand out are Knealer's, Mobbzee's and Gazza's - they really flowed on this track. Several cars have their wheels either protuding outside or just flush with the arches. This is going to be a problem, as if you've got any ody rock they are going to bite and lift you out of the slot. If you haven't got any body rock, the damn thing is going to tip out on faster bends anyway!

A word about the track - it's bumpy as anything - lots of crossovers hence lots of soldered copper, several tight bits of scenery on knadgery bends and of course the infamous water trough (run dry for this event!). So if you car is set up lower than a snakes family jewels, it's going to deslot. A lot.

To the scores......the "offs" is a reflection of how many places on the track the car would suffer as opposed to totla offs. I find trying to remember total offs is a real distraction. Most cars I could drive a little more carefully through their "off" zone and hence save a rake of time per lap. Heat 2 to be run in reverse tonight, the two heats added to give the overall Round positions and points. Another round to follow next week.

(Embs, I'll mail you the complete spreadsheet after the round is completed tonight).

R1H1_zpsfjm0kvo8.png

wosautos12.gif

Have I ever told you how awesome you are? :)

Thats a good start, butwont start counting my chickens yet, as i'll probably drop the eggs! Glad you got there in the end. Technical problems are a pain in the rear end, especially when it almost impossible to find them. Best of luck for the remaining stages. I's steer clear of RAW images if you can. A bit pointless unless you are doing professional work.

Some slot (and MTB) vids NOW SHOWING

Thanks Martyn

Good to see you finally got your shite together, have to try that barbeque thing sounds interesting, don't think it'll catch on though

If your using a Nikon try here ....... http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/31.html

But as the others said a lot of extra trouble and space, on the raw setting on mine each photo is around 25 meg

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

I must admit. The only time I ever use RAW on my new Nikon is when I know I'm planning on blowing something up to a full poster.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

yep, I'm knocking the RAw files on the head and reshooting tomorrow evening - I'll do the podium shots at the same time.

Round 3 all complete - but I can't get the script to upload the photobucket image, so again I'll have to upload the results in the morning.

wosautos12.gif

So thats Round3, Wales Rally GB, completed. Photshoot this evening.

The track is nearly always considerably slower in the Heat 2 direction - anti-cockwise, as several major obstacles come into play to reduce corner entry speed. In th enormal direction you normally just power past them as your car is sliding or pushing to the outside of the bend.

R3%20result_zpswru9xcle.png

Well done Knealer and Ben, the top 3 cars genuinely did feel like they were going considerably slower than quite a few others. It must have been the unfussed way they dealt with corners and weren't too harsh on accelerating or stopping.

Roll on Round 4 next weekend.

wosautos12.gif

Thanks for running this round Snurfen

No problem mate - I'm collecting the stage for Round 4 - The Taffcropolis Rally (or if we do go to Alexis and the guys in Athens, I'll rename it !).

Photos to follow tomorrow I've redone them all, but I'll never manage to get them uploaded

wosautos12.gif

Thanks Martyn

4th in the Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch cup, 7th overall and the fastest Hyundai, gota be happy with that

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017