SlotsNZ

Community Service With Slots

I have shared this once before, but it sure won't hurt to do so again

Each year I run two sessions of casual slot racing for special needs groups who are part of the two year "Life skills in the community" classes operated by our local tertiary institution.

Some are severely disabled either physically or mentally, some are autistic, or have Downs Syndrome, so quite a wide variety.

Yesterday we had both year and one two groups here with their caregivers and tutors in two separate sessions

I use my "house class" Ninco McLarens with NC-1 motors, and drop the volts waaaay back to 7.5 which is about as low as most electronic controllers are comfortable with.

Even those too disable to hold a controller properly got a huge buzz from watching "their car" circulate the track.

On a couple of lanes the cars couldn't de-slot at all, on a couple they had to learn to brake and accelerate.

Watching the elation of a driver when they learned to take the hairpin without de-slotting, or passed another driver - or nerfed another driver on one of the 2 squeezes is very satisfying. They respond so much to praise and encouragement.

I would encourage any private or public track owners to consider doing something similar as a community service.

One caregiver - the guy with beard in shot is very keen now to join our club, an added bonus.

10409300_758914917563089_8001475993169789608_n.jpg?oh=67f5ef3e52156ac9cf92a8cf21b55737&oe=55ED0297

• Upvote 1

Recovering Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

That is so cool. Must Feel great to part of it.

Glad you're still doing it. No doubt there are a few trying times, but the joy is well worth the effort.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Nice one Mark.

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Good on you Mark. They say "no news is good news",,,, but that is good news. I like it.

Edited by Wobble

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Hey I put this up on my Facebook account as well, and one of the guys from Hornsby commented that they also do this - - - - 1 or 2 times a month.... great eh !!

Recovering Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

You'll find almost every centre supports special needs and other community groups.

We host a special needs group each school holidays as a respite for their parents and support a number of other community groups in various ways via donations etc.

We know that both Penrith and Slot Shop also do similar things.

I believe slot cars are good therapy for anybody willing to give it a try. Good on you Mark, it's not something I would be comfortable doing so it's great for our slot car hobby that you and others are.

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

Having an autistic Son myself, you guys that are doing this are all legends in my book...