miveson

The Unamed Rally Track

Well it's probably about 10 years overdue but finally work has begun on a Rally Track - we are starting out simple and just doing a single level rally track on a 2.4m x 1.2m MDF board. I've been undertaking some practice on some other sheets and learnt a few harsh lessons. Worst thing I've done over the last few weeks is buy a cheap router - very unimpressed and router caused numerous issues that eventually made me buy something a little better.

Ended up buying a lovely Ryobi plunge router that has variable speed control, nice depth selection and a vacum attachment.

Anyways - the young fella decided how the track was going to be designed and I simply routed out the plans.

Plenty more work to do over the coming weeks:

- Painting with Dulux suede

- Adding braid

- Wiring up

Track_1.JPG

Will eventually add some elevations and other bits and bobs. Will be a nice place to start tinkering with the Rally cars - I have a few that I've been saving up for a rainy day.

Happy days...... if only we had more long weekends...

Will be interested to watch this one unfold as its similar to what my next track will be - single lane rally style.

Go you good thing.

A wise man once said... "Its not the mistakes you make , its how you respond to them that matters."

(It wasn't me)

Nothing like the quality of work you do manic however we all have to start somewhere............... hope to have some cars whizzing around next weekend if the weather is nice.

Too nice Mark, I don't hold a candle however to some of the track builders on Auslot. Important thing is how much fun it is, my goal this time around is to have enough on track lighting to be able to successfully run cars at night with house lights off.

Keep the photos coming mate. :)

Great to see it happening Mark. The most important thing is to enjoy the process.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Further progress this weekend....

Track_5.jpg

Painted with Dulux Suede

Used a couple of the test pots, one was black, the other light brown. I'm happy with the colour which is more road like colour

Braided almost half the track

I have new respect for anyone doing braiding as it's a long back breaking process and I'm pretty happy with the results. The last sections were much better and far quicker than the first sections. I'm very impressed with the braid, sits flush and is very easy to work with. The double sided tape is pretty good as well once you work out how to handle it effectively (whatever you do don't touch the sticky bits of the tape.

Timing System/Power

Working on a timing system (arduino/RC) and then how to add power - I'll probably just drill through the board in a few section to supply power - the loop sections mean that I'll have to add power to a few sections.

Anyways - progress is being made.......

I took some inspiration from Manic and found myself a PowerSlot Hummer - can't wait to give this beast a roll on the new track...... I might need to undertake some modifications.

PowerSlot_Hummer.JPG

track looks good as does the Hummer - a word of caution - it will do lots of rolling also wheel stands and take care with the rear crown gear - mine chewed through during the first outing.... probably best to have a spare on hand :)

Thanks to Shadow Rusty for his wonderful advice on track timing, trip to Jaycar and $3.40 later I have everything needed. A little bit of advice later and vola track timing with Arduino is working a treat on the breadboard.

Everything is slotting in to place - will do some work on wiring the SCP-2 controller during the week ready for next weekend - hopefully have enough braid to finish, it's going to be very close.

Aww Schucks...

Just helping out a fellow slotter...

Bet you are glad it's getting closer to running.

Oh, and it's looking great to boot...

ps. That Hummer is very sweet...