Slow/dying Motor Fix

Rhyse_the_Wombat

Hey,

I was racing my Slot.it group 5 the other night and each lap the motor was getting slower and slower until I could've probably crawled faster than it. Another club member added 'Voodoo' drops into the motor making it better but not permanently better. The motor is the stock yellow one that comes with it. If anybody else knows any tips and tricks on how to make dying motors up to snuff again, it would be much appreciated

Kind regards

the_Wombat

I had this happen a couple of weeks back, also thinking it was the motor.

It wasn't the motor at all, there was a short between the braids due to a broken guide.

Maybe check for shorts first, braids touching each other, or wires touching the motor body or each other etc.

If not that then I would check the motor out of the car on a variable voltage supply and see how it performs at various voltages.

Maybe use a tachometer if you have one to check motor RPM, I throw a spur gear on the shaft with a bit of reflective tape.

To clean the motor try putting it in a jar of Shellite or even a shellite/water mix on low to moderate RPM for a few minutes then pull it out leaving it running to dry out a bit and give it a little spray of Inox to lube it up again.

If all of the above fail it might be time for a new motor.

It's uncommon for the standard Slot.it Orange endbell motors to die without lots and lots of use.

Unfortunately, it's also uncommon to recover one without opening up the motor, which is usually against the rules of most clubs.

The only thing I can suggest without opening it, is to remove it from the car, and run it a ~3v in a jar of warm water with a couple drops of detergent in it, for ~5mins.

If that doesn't show some form of improvement, it's most likely that one of the brush springs has lost it's tension which requires opening up the motor to fix.

It's uncommon for the standard Slot.it Orange endbell motors to die without lots and lots of use.

Unfortunately, it's also uncommon to recover one without opening up the motor, which is usually against the rules of most clubs.

The only thing I can suggest without opening it, is to remove it from the car, and run it a ~3v in a jar of warm water with a couple drops of detergent in it, for ~5mins.

If that doesn't show some form of improvement, it's most likely that one of the brush springs has lost it's tension which requires opening up the motor to fix.

I agree with shadow_rusty on this one. I just use warm to almost hot tap water and run it about 6v. Cover it though or you'll have water going all over the place.

This has resuscitated lots of motors for me.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Shellite works best as it's the most gentle of the liquids I've 'dipped' motors in.

A glass of water with 2 drops of detergent works well too, and is a lot more common.

Metho is the most aggressive that I've tried, and is really great for stuborn SCX motors.

Also, don't forget, just 1 drop of oil on each bushing after cleaning it out.

Hi Rhyse..

I noticed you were a little slow at one stage...Check that nothing is binding anywhere like see iff anything is wrapped around the axle.Iff all is ok while the motor is running the next I would do is to squirt some metho or Co contact cleaner in to it on the brushes and the revs should pick up.when you have done this a couple of times try it on the track and see how it goes.It might be the answer or it might not..the motor could be nearly dead.A goode clean works wonders sometimes.A tiny drop of oil on the drive end as well after cleaning.

Kevin.

Hi again Rhyse, all good advice above on motor flush outs I have tried most of them and they all seem to work. If all else fails I have the original yellow motor from my group 5. I thought it was a pig and replaced it with the black 25000RPM one (hence all that straight line speed I was getting Friday) if you get there early enough and yours is still playing up you can put it in and give it a try

Mick

Guest jazzbell

Sorry not a fan on brining motors back to life especially slot it motors . You'll find slot-it's have soft brushes and any additives tend to send them up in smoke. Voodoo is a great product for blowing them up. You'll probably find after a clean out some life will be there,but when it dies again ,it could cost you that podium.

I know everyone has there budget, but I'll always throw it in the bin and move onto the next .

Regards Shane a

Team nsr