munter

Scratchbuilders Roll Call

I, for one, would love to see some of your builds Manimmal. Constantly looking to learn and other than trial and error nothing better than watching one of the experts do it.

• Upvote 1

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Kit-builder here - although life has got in the way of slot cars for me in the last 12 months. I still buy kits occasionally though for when I've got time to start building again.

Russ

I builds cars for my own pleasure and enjoyment

I am only fairly new to this so have only posted a few builds

It is a good feeling when people post positive comments on my builds

It makes me want to do it more

If I don't get many if any comments that doesn't bother me

I know in myself if I have done a good job or not and that is all that matters to me

If other people get ideas from what I do that is great

Just keep up all the great work and scratch build to your hearts content

And show it to the world because because you deserve to

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

I have had that experience which prompted me to ask that question and start this thread.

I dont expect the world to fall at my feet when I show a car but how do I or anyone else interpret the lack of response?......... My work sucks? Nobody cares? There are no scratchbuilders here? or a combination of them all?

I hear you. In any forum, content is king. In this forum, any build or tune up content is the most valuable thing to me. I used to post lots of build / tune threads but feel like I don't have exciting enough content to show now. I'm still building up cars all the time and would be showing more content if the feedback made me feel it was worthwhile.

I still enjoy seeing other build threads regardless of how 'mundane' they may be. There is always something to see or learn.

Podiums are for short people.

I have had that experience which prompted me to ask that question and start this thread.

I dont expect the world to fall at my feet when I show a car but how do I or anyone else interpret the lack of response?......... My work sucks? Nobody cares? There are no scratchbuilders here? or a combination of them all?

To start with, I've gotta say I've enjoyed this thread John. One thought that springs to mind is the way a build thread is compiled. Take for example rosco01's Cooper T53 thread and Embers track build. Right from the get go they showed every step and there was a lot of interest and for Ross' T53 in excess of 4500 views and numerous comments. Not everyone has the time and inclination to do a novel with pictures but it does give a bit of idea of what can be done to gain interest. Rather than just showing the end result, maybe sharing the process as well will gain more interest. It's possibly not a lack of interest anyway but rather once one has seen it and there isn't any more to follow it may appear that others aren't interested.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Yes I agree about how a post is compiled can gain more interest

But I think John is tying to get more interest in people posting build/repaints etc

It does seem to be the same people posting threads a comments all the time

As it was said earlier in this thread you can pretty much expect who will post comments

On a thread

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

When you're working and things are going well it can be very difficult to break stride, stop and think to photograph what you're doing. I know I've had a few times that I was intending to write a magazine article on a scenic build or a paint job that I'm working on and get to the end only to realise I didn't take ay photos along the way. When things are working and the creative juices are flowing I get into an almost meditative state where the only thing that exists is what I'm working on. I can only assume that it happens to others as well.

For that reason it's not always easy to furnish a thread with a complete set of process photos. But even a simple instance of 'this is what I began with' and 'this is what I made' can help inspire others to give it a try.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

It's a Zen thing, I hear you. Last Friday vanished in a scenic rejuvenation, although the electric shock from the static grass applicator may be more to blame!

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

Know what you mean Ember

Have done that myself

That is why my threads don't have a lot of detail

I just get into the zone and nothing else matters

I think it is called escapism

Edited by David Carter

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

I, for one, would love to see some of your builds Manimmal. Constantly looking to learn and other than trial and error nothing better than watching one of the experts do it.

For sure we can only improve our skills by observing what others can show us, I too am guilty of not commenting on some of the build threads and after reading through some of the previous posts I now understand that maybe I should have, a lot of my "inspiration" has come from the forums both here and others, I tried not to emulate some of those excellent builds but to try and get something done which actually goes around the track, not as easy as it sounds, especially some of my early builds!

I would welcome build tips and modelling tips like " how to make headers and exhausts for F1 cars" or "how to make realistic looking shock absorbers".

Good topic John, I really do like your stuff!

Terry

Mr Ford, you are in.

I re read the most recent two pages and appreciated all over again peoples input/thoughts/comments.

I am still building stuff. Some of it is for other people and some of it for me. Lots of resin casting continues of course.

My final comment to any readers who are just getting going in scratch building is please dont feel intinidated by what you see some of the masters produce.

We are all on the continuum somewhere.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

I agree Munter

I have only made 3 brass chassis so far and I must say the difference from the 1st to the 3rd is worlds apart

just have a go and if it does work out that well just learn form your mistakes

I have learnt something new with each one and I am sure I will keep learning for years to come

I have to say doing a full scratch build is very very rewarding

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Count me in.

Many years building brass/wire 1/24 and sprung steel 1/32 chassis now building scale models in 1/32 with mixed brass/wire and purchased parts. (Eg: I am modifying a Slot.it pod for my Cooper T53 Tasman Cup car, using it as a base for a brass/wire front end, incorporating a Scaleauto guide mount). For me, re-purposing parts and making things which were not designed to work together work properly all fits into scratch building. I note that I don't wind my motors anymore - Club rules prohibit this nowadays.

YO ! love the older stuff myself' been modelling in various scales as well as slots for more years than I care to remember have done quite a few resin bodies but unfortunately fiscal restraint's severely limit my spending powers these days :wacko:

YES Id like to be in also. I wouldnt call myself a scratch builder ,I enjoy putting a commercial plastic or metal chassis into a resin body, just to have something that looks different on my track .I have a number of 60s F1 cars mostly PP bodied, and we run a few races using them to every ones enjoyment

.I have yet to build a car that can beat a normal commercial model but maybe one day .My main interest on this site is getting inspiration from other great scratch builders. I have also a few of Munters bodies. which are excellent plus his invaluable advice

THANKS John Ellis Aunty 69

As a first step up form changing the tyres on a RTR, it is probably time I finished a few small things, (track x 2, rearrange work area, chores etc).

Then I will get to open some boxes that are not nearly RTR/race cars - likely even before the other, (never ending list of), jobs listed above are done.

It would be boring to only have one thing on the go at a time.