munter

Scratchbuilders Roll Call

I guess more kit-bashing than true scratch building. Don't buy as many new slots as I used to, spending my pocket money now on supplies to make all the kits I've bought over the years into slot cars.

I'm in two formal 1/32 scale racing groups which are always fun but finding just getting together with a couple of mates who also kit bash and just racing what we have built and seeing what they have in the pipeline miles more satisfying.

Chris.

Late Model

Iv'e done a few kit bashes, resin kits and bodies and a few metal rod chassis so I guess I'm a sem-scratcher in amongst all my other numerous vices.

Edited by aquakiwi

All ways interested to see what you and others have been up to John.

Still to start/finish a couple of the bodies I got off yourself.

I might not post that much but I'm on here nearly everyday.

cheers

Matt

I suppose you could count me as a scratchbuilder, mostly model kits onto slot car chassis, though I have been a bit slack lately.

As they say on TV here is one I finished earlier http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5300-xc-falcon-sports-sedan/page__p__53299__hl__mtpanorama__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=53299

Raced it last night and it still runs really well.

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it people will eventually come to believe it." Joseph Goebbels

1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual.

I'm a beginner

I have built a few 1/24 drag chassis from

Wire, I went off the 1/24s an found 1/32s

My favourite so I build every car I race an have started venturing in to modifying plastic chassis

Love reading all the build threads

It's only time an I will be building my own wire chassis as I have all the equipment

😀😀

Rossko

Bashing 1/25 with a one - off driver, is probably closer to where I'm at. I do like a nice brass chassis and a custom paint job to complete the package.

Yep. I prefer it rather than tuning RTR cars. I guess no local interest and lack of track are the influencing factors in that regard.

Though, the definition of scratch built looks to differ from one person to another. Along with sourcing natural materials such as brass, piano wire etc.

I, also, still rely on sourcing bodies, axles, gears, guides, motors, wire, braid, tyres, paint, decals, drivers etc, inserts and (wheels sometimes) But I still consider these builds to be scratch builds.

"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

More of a modifier / kit basher than a scratchbuilder . Like doing repaints , though more fantasy than prototypical .I only play at home so don't bother with motor upgrades or the like .

I'm the same as Mopar. I love to follow any scratch-building, but modifying is my limit at the moment. I'm gradually building skills with changing decals and a bit of model detailing to make RTRs look or go better. I usually pick an RTR that has obvious room for improvement.

I'm presently turning a Scaley P4 Ferrari into a Spyder - a long way from scratch-building.

spyder7s.jpg

I'm about to tackle some repaints to go to the next 'level'. The main thing is lack of confidence and time - I've got several resin bodies including a George Turner Ferrari ready to tackle but I don't want to screw them up. If they turned out like 'toy' cars, I'd give up.

Edited by KarKraft

Brett, once you've been through a few repaints you'll be more than ready to jump into some kits. And George's are about the best beginning point out there because they are so complete with chassis, etc. From there to other kits makes a nice step up progression.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I am not worried what your definition of scratchbuilding is but what I am interested to know is if you are a follower/participant/producer of this side of the hobby at any level.

It seems like there are more than I thought.

Has anyone every posted a repaint or scratchbuild that they spent a lot of time and effort on and then the response from members is minimal.....that can be discouraging.

I remember Slotmadmac saying in another thread, "Content is king." So please share your work whatever the standard.

That Ferrari spyder above is lovely. That cars story would make a great thread.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Has anyone every posted a repaint or scratchbuild that they spent a lot of time and effort on and then the response from members is minimal.....that can be discouraging.

I used to post builds years ago on several Forums, but interest was very low and taking pics and posting took a lot of time.

So I decided my time could be better spent building, casting and moulding.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Pick me too.

(50 yrs playing about...)

Currently building an interior for my resin 2002 which unfortunately came without one...

Also 1/43 static models from the Mille Miglia. Includes plumbing, spark plugs, leather etc. I once made wheels for a model pushbike on the lathe...that was fun.

I enjoy reading build and repaint threads - for me they often provide ideas for my own projects* or information about a car I hadn't heard off. Lots of times I end up buying a kit of the car to make my own.

* Eg Mopar's exhaust pipes in the build thread on here - great idea.....

I post my builds for the same reason - I figure that other people might be inspired to build a car as well. For me it is nice to have others acknowledge my work but what I am really hoping for is more information or ideas.

I have found though there are some negative people across the forums which has at times put me off posting.

Edited by dangermouse

Count me in as well. I do a fair bit of repainting as well as resin kits and also conversions of either static bodies or other make slot car bodies so they'll run on my scalextric track.

I tend to cheat a fair bit though, in that I use either modified scalex chassis or PCS-32 chassis, and primarily scalex running gear. I do make my own parts though to replace missing pieces, and my own tyres. Have tried making resin wheels as well, but these are very hard to cast true, and are not very strong, so only use them as fronts.

Graeme

~~~~~~

(Life is like a sewer....................What you get out of it depends on what you put into it!)

My Website

G'day to all on this site . It is great to see a interest in the model,paint and chassis building side of this hobbie. I'm keen to pick the brains of those that have experience in a few areas that I find challenging at the moment. Decal making your own ? I have done water slide and have been ok , but has anyone experience with peel n stick decals at home ? Done a few and limited success , hard to find info on the best paper. Use the term paper but it is label film clear and white . Also the detail items for 1/24 scale , eg mirrors , drivers and heads etc . Do you guys cast or make your own some how ? Love the build stories from start to finish as well, please keep them coming. It does inspire or give you a chance to see different technics in the hobbie. Thanks to those who post.

Cheers Pagey.

Brass and certainly modifying bodies, but my balsa skills aren't good enough to count. Otherwise I will try to make most anything, but at some point the thing gets a bit anal...if one only counts those making every bit and piece, I really doubt anyone qualified. It's a matter of interest and degree. There is RTR , then tuning, and I'd say from the point of homebuilt chassis it's venturing into scratch building territory. I don't think there is some distinct cutoff. Someone making exhausts from tube..that's scratchbuilding. Maybe not a full scratch built model, but the activity surely is.

Kit basher & resin attempter too. Interesting topic John. I think sharing my own work definitely helps with motivation, and I enjoy reading others' threads too.

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

not much of a scratch builder , more of a painter and modifier, kit/resin type builder.

Would love to be able to make my own chassis that actually worked!!!

Really enjoy reading any build thread, especially seeing how other build those brass works of wonder!

Edited by mondeoman

If it doesn`t have wheels and an engine it`s not sport!

It probably is a little bit discouraging when you don't get much feedback for something you've spent some hours on & are quite proud/pleased with. Even from a personal experience I was surprised at the lack of feed back on a couple of my repaints . On another forum that I'm a moderator of we implemented a thank's button , don't know if that's possible or worth considering here .But anyhoo , not here for the praise just to share and enjoy a hobby :D

I have had that experience which prompted me to ask that question and start this thread.

I dont expect the world to fall at my feet when I show a car but how do I or anyone else interpret the lack of response?......... My work sucks? Nobody cares? There are no scratchbuilders here? or a combination of them all?

Edited by munter

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

A factor that hasn't yet been mentioned regarding posting builds on the forum is the eBay factor. Many of my builds are purely to sell on eBay for the purpose of funding rtr cars & scratch build parts. I consider it a conflict of interest to post images of a build that is on eBay and don't want to upset anybody. For the record, my 'top score' is $268 for a 55 Chevy speedway car, and late last year I managed over $250 for a 1924 sunbeam gp ;)

I also echo the lack of perceived interest factor. When I was posting builds regularly I could almost tell you who would respond. I know it's no competition but still, we all like to feel loved :)

• Upvote 1

My mum says I'm an excellent driver