Scratchbuilders Roll Call

This is just my way of determining the interest of members in the subject.

I have a feeling that there arent many Auslot members who pursue this activity.

If you are in any way interested in scratchbuilding ie do it or enjoy seeing it would you please post a short reply.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

I love scratch building cars

I get great satisfaction out of taking bits and pieces and bashing them together

to make something a bit different from the off the self cars

I also like seeing other cars being built by other members

be it from a custom paint job right threw to a totally home made car

I feel you can get a good understanding on how a slotcar works

I am lucky I have Munter and Viv the resin twins in my club

two very top quality scratch builders that are always more than happy to help when needed

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

I like to think of myself as a scratchbuilder.

But I'm not a true scratchbuilder as I incorporate already manufactured items in my builds, such as;

- Motors

- Wheels

- Tyres

- Guides

- Braids

- Axles

- Bodies

My definition of a scratchbuilt car is one that is made completely from raw materials such as;

- Bodies carved/fabricated from wood, or made from sheet plastic, or some other readily available material that is suitable

- Wheels that are fabricated by machining aluminium or plastic bar etc, or casting by suitable plastic resins

- Tyres home made by some means

- etc

My scratchbuilt cars are those that have chassis made from piano wire and/or brass wire, tube or plate so that I end up with a car that is fun to play with.

There are many different levels of scratchbuilding...

Steve K.

Guilty!

Like Slotbaker ( G'day Steve) I'm not a scratch builder in the truest sense but I do get a lot of pleasure in seeing one of my chassis rubbing up against the rtr cars, not always with the success that I would hope for but thats the name of the game.

Series like the Tasman and in the US of A the VRAA help to keep our efforts in the "public" eye.

Like slotmadmac I do love a good build thread!

Terry

Yep I match the description too I guess, but like the others have said not in the true sense of the term scratch builder. I haven't done much recently but have a number of John's nice shell's awaiting atttention in my projects draw.

Edited by lenny broke

Yep I match the description too I guess, but like the others have said not in the true sense of the term scratch builder. I haven't done much recently but have a number of John's nice shell's awaiting atttention in my projects draw.

I too am guilty as you are Lenny, and I have a number of Munters offerings in the drawer awaiting attention, we are very fortunate to have the likes of Phil and John able to supply bodies.

There are plenty of folks here that do some very complex cut and paste with plastic chassis, either to fit another plastic car shell or a resin shell. Still fits in the realm of scratch building for me.

I know there have been instances where people have tried to get snobby and say that kit building isn't scratch building but it encompasses much of the same skill set.

It'd be nice if we can stir up some more build threads. Everyone enjoys seeing creativity.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

yeah I have one of Phil's Lister Chevrolets sitting there that I must have got nearly 7 years ago. I've been searching Bunnings for a round tuit but they always seem to be out of stock!!

Kit building is where most of us start. Or pulling apart, modifying and re-building the RTR cars to make then go or look better.

We develop the skills to kit bash, and modify/customise, and further develop to higher levels of scratchbuilding into our hobby as our interests grow.

• Upvote 1

Steve K.

In terms of slot car I mostly make up cars from resin or plastic kits, do re-liveries and restorations

though I made my first two brass bracket and wire chassis the other day.

I am also into model railroading and have made a few things from scratch there:

th_sawfile2_zpswuf07dus.jpg th_DSC02625_zpsee0nv7oq.jpg th_DSC01806_zpswxna95bj.jpg

bit easier to shape a rail car and a building than a slot car body :) one day I might tackle the slot car body - thinking of doing a couple of 1/24 60s F1 cars

Edited by dangermouse

The closest I've come to scratch building is converting the A4 into a Bora...

I am hoping to get a resin shell at some stage and mess around with building my own chassis.

Just that nothing happens as quickly as my desire would like.

Love seeing you guys post though...

Gives me plenty of ideas...

G'day every one on this thread. I'm new to hobbie but love every thing slot car at the moment . I have so far been involved most with 1/24 cars at Dapto. Love th v8 series that Cam has developed . That's as close to scratch building as I have done . How ever I have added as much detail as I can dream up ,roll cages, detail interiors and as much extras as possible. I'm keen to learn more model tech and car building, if there are people willing to share that's awesome .

Cheers Pagey

Yes started with Dads brazing wire back around 1965, and first carved body was the Traco Olds after seeing it at Longford.

Recently for a box of old parts, including new Pittmans, Ks and Strombecker open frame motors.

About the only parts I have not made are motors and gears.

But let's be sensible motors, gears,wheels and guides are just not the sort of parts that the average person can make.

I also only gone as far as modifying/kit bashing

But I am keen to get into making my own chassis

As far as making motors and wheels/tyres I much rather just buy them

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Hi all.

Much of our earlier scratch building efforts were a matter of necessity. The goods were just not available.

Today however we are spoilt for choice in anything from RTR to just about every part imaginable.

Realistically we are not geared up enough or lack the skills exhibited by the model engineering types. Also if a perfectly good part is mass produced the cost and time involved is not warranted. Even somebody with skills like Rosco01 use some commercial parts.

Like Phil I too have shaped or carved some much loved prototype in past - Cooper Zerex, H16 BRM, BRM 216, Lotus IX sports car to name a few but why not spread around and support the numerous suppliers like Phil, Munter, BWA, Dart, MJK etc. Scratch building to some degree can be fun but most of us are racers.

I enjoy modifying RTR or building and tuning my little F1 racers but it is how it goes that is most important in the end.

Let us just encourage all slot car activities however basic or refined.

Regards Chas Le Breton

I have about 32 that are in various stages. I like to have sets of 10-12 of the same era which means that I have 3-4 for each set the need to be built as I like to have no two the same model car.

I hope to start listing some of the finished ones soon.

ok....you try racing with one eye closed.

I class myself as a modeller rather than scratch builder as I have been doing such for over 60 years so far, started with some very basic plastic kits wen I was about 15 progressed to amt cars for a while then Tamiya came along with their wonderful 1/12 scale cars , had break for a few years due to work then 1/25 trucks came along and I was hooked again met a couple of like souls and we formed the model truck association of N.S.W. as a club we attended many model shows in various states. the club no longer exists but a core group of us still keep in touch and usually get together a couple of times a year.

in between times I have been involved with slots on and off since around 1960 and done some scratch work on them from time to time I would like to do a lot more as there are lots of lovely resin bodies available now but unfortunately financial restraints apply these days

keep up the good work John will definitely have more of yours when possible

Hi

Count me in

Mainly resin kits.

Besides I am sure their are, a lot of interest from non scratch builders(kit builders) out their that love reading what other members have done

Look at the slot mags ,they always have sections in them of scratch building in one form or another

all the best pete