Preparing And Painting Your V8

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another tip for prepping a Slotworx,after cutting out the window surrounds I tape them loosly on the outside of the body & trace around with a permanent marker pen.I've found I can get the window masks in place on the first attempt,& that's a big statement for some one that shakes as much as me.Jan%20amp%20Marks%20003_zps8bswpfes.jpg Cheers Jimmy :D :D

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

• 8 months later...

Hi All,

Just attempted my first V8 repaint by brush. I'm quite happy with the results from the Jo Sonja Paint and Matisse Varnish. So glad i only have to travel to Chatswood now rather than Homebush to buy paint. I found a shop that has a great selection of paints and crafty bits.

Below is the result. not too sure though if i painted it on too thick though.

V8%20Repaints_00001_zpstktmc5pr.jpg

V8%20Repaints_00002_zps90ly00qs.jpg

V8%20Repaints_00003_zpsmq9dupkl.jpg

V8%20Repaints_00004_zpsfol7olry.jpg

I just have a few questions though about repaints though:

How do you paint your V8's (Brush, Airbrush or Spraycan)?

How many layers and how long do you let it dry before doing another layer?

Do you brush it on thin or thick?

Do you put a white coat over it at the end to bring out the colors?

Next up is the interior. Any suggestions or hints on how to tackle this part before i start?

Merry Xmas for tomorrow.

Brooksy.

Brooksy

I just have a few questions though about repaints though:

How do you paint your V8's (Brush, Airbrush or Spraycan)?

How many layers and how long do you let it dry before doing another layer?

Do you brush it on thin or thick?

Do you put a white coat over it at the end to bring out the colors?

Next up is the interior. Any suggestions or hints on how to tackle this part before i start?

Merry Xmas for tomorrow.

Brooksy.

Looking good Brooksy.

I brush on solid colours but spray can/airbrush metallics, pearls and silvers.

Number of coats depends on the paint type and colour. Do enough coats to get coverage so it isn't see through.

The small amount of red bleed under the window surrounds can be easily touched up with a permanent marker on the outside.

Merry Christmas,

- Cam

Edited by Camber

Hoo Roo

Brooksy,

...also, to re-touch some spoils when using water based brushed on paints - you can easily clean those areas once the paint has been allowed to dry, by using a tooth pick and scratch it off. Remember, you are using a lexan body, painted from the inside - so small scrathes simply disappear when painted over again.

Personally I prefer to keep bodies as light as possible. To test see-through, don't hold it up to the light (it will always look like you need more paint). Place the body over the chassis and see if you can see anything through the body (if not, it has enough paint on it).

Just my 2c (but I still prefer the masters - Cam, Glen or Jimmie) painting my V8 bodies.

Enjoy,

Jan

'The older I get the faster I was.'

I airbrush all my lexan bodies using either Tamiya or Parma Faskolor paint

Hi Tony,

That is the best way to do it, only thing is it is more time consuming and not everyone owns an airbrush.

If you don't mind masking up, then spraying is the best.

Hoo Roo

Pressure packs are all I use, internal peel and stick aernt affected by pressure packs like the water decals and you will end up with a much lighter body. Every gram counts when it's above the chassis line. Have also painted many body with external peel and stick which in my opinion looks more realistic.

• 10 months later...

Ok guys finally about to start my Volvo and going to use Jo Sonjas paints, any suggestions for the right colours to mix and what ratio to get the correct Blue shade?

Hi Chris...Iff you are coming tonight 28th you can have a look at my Volvo ..I got the colour spot on compared to others I have seen... Kevin