Tuning Your Slotworx V8

34 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_jazzbell_*

• Guests

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:52 PM

Don't get off track here. I'm not on this topic to compare motors this is a tuning topic for the sloworx V8's on the Adelaide track.

My testing resulted in the car handling with a fix gear ratio and the 27.5 mm tyre with a slower motor was a faster cornering car. So a turning tip if you get a fast motor when on the Adelaide track,you'll have to play with your diameter on the rears

Regards Shane a

Team NSR

#22 BaVa

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:10 PM

As I said in my EE tuning post.
Different tracks will require different set ups.

#23 Springbok Racer

....another 'has-been'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:29 PM

View Postjazzbell, on 04 April 2015 - 05:52 PM, said:

Don't get off track here. I'm not on this topic to compare motors this is a tuning topic for the sloworx V8's on the Adelaide track.

Regards Shane a

Team NSR

View PostBaVa, on 04 April 2015 - 07:10 PM, said:

As I said in my EE tuning post.
Different tracks will require different set ups.

Exactly, this is a tuning topic for the Slotworx V8's on all tracks and both the Fox4 and the SRP25 motors are legal according to the rules - the choice is yours and your group's. Everyone contributing to this thread is entitled to their opinion and may state their findings and results with either.

However, whilst I don't support a comparison of the two motors on this thread - it will happen, sometimes.

Please continue to let us all know what you are doing with your V8's, no matter the motor you are using.

Cheers,

Jan
'The older I get the faster I was.'

#24 Springbok Racer

....another 'has-been'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:08 PM

Hi guys,

In answer to my own question, earlier; the body weights (including body mounts) seem to vary between 23.4 and 25.1g (from the six I have weighed so far). All without roll cages. The reason for these differences lie mostly in the method of mounting the interiors and rear tank/diffuser, with also some being in the body mounting rubber used.

Basically, the rolling chassis is around the 122 to 124g mark. Differences here being; wheel inserts, leadwire, guide nuts, gears, axle lengths and tyre sizes.

I found on the first five cars that I've now prepared for racing, that I needed between 1.0 and 3.2g of extra weight to bring the cars up to the minimum of 150g. That is a nice margin for tuning purposes and changing of the car balance.

BTW, a rollout of around 22.5mm seem to feel right on Ecurie Elite.au and I would suggest a starting point of around 23.5mm for Red Racer.

Let the racing begin....in Queensland.

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer, 07 April 2015 - 10:10 PM.

#25 jimmyslots 1950

Slotcar trajic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:07 AM

Here's a little tuning trick that I use for the Slotworx,when we first started racing the Slotworx we noticed a lot of cars were rattling around corners & knowing the chassis was not the problem it had to be in the body.With so much lateral movement in the body & chassis a quick fix for the body was to tape a small piece of body mounting rubber between the body & interior restricting lateral movement.On inspection most bodies looked to have plenty of clearance but with grippier tracks the body flexes much more as the corner speeds are greater.The front wheel arch is an area to look at & I found it has a lot of flex but so far I've only cut the arch a little bigger without spoiling the look of the car which is most important.Cheers Jimmy :D :D Posted Image
To finsh first,first you gotta finish

#26 Springbok Racer

....another 'has-been'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:23 PM

Hi guys,

Please remember that if you fit the SRP25 motor, to enlarge the motor mounting hole to 1/4 inch (6.25mm). To clarify; the oilite bush in the motor can, on the pinion side, has an OD of 1/4 inch (6.25mm) and is therefor very slightly bigger in OD than a Plafit Fox motor.

If you don't do this, and force-mount the motor, it will distort the can and tighten up the armature shaft. This will then restrict the motor and it will not perform as it should.

This small modification to the motor bracket will have no adverse effect, should you later decide to remount a Fox.

BTW - Bunnings sell a 1/4inch round file and it is perfect for this job.

Cheers,

Jan

#27 espsix

Garage Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:12 AM

Thanks Jan for the motor info in the other thread, ( I'll keep that talk out if the " show us you V8 thread ")
I've spoken to Greg about which motor we will run and we are planning on running both, seeing which gives us the most level race field.

#28 Springbok Racer

....another 'has-been'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:57 PM

View Postespsix, on 27 May 2015 - 06:12 AM, said:

.....we are planning on running both, seeing which gives us the most level race field.

Brett,

That is a good idea and exactly what we are doing for the rest of this year. The two different motors are no different in performance, it is simply about consistancy, equality and how well it lasts. We are not wanting a 'faster' motor, only one that offers all the drivers parity.

If you have an event the option of the two motors will give event organisers a choice and then only one of them will be used at the event. But at normal club racing guys are able to use what they like.

Cheers,

Jan

#29 slotcarnut

8 times runner up at nationals

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:53 PM

Optimum weight I have found is 170g and springs weight and post height are critical.

#30 espsix

Garage Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 09:18 AM

What do you mean by " post height "?

#31 slotcarnut

8 times runner up at nationals

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 07:49 PM

Height of the small posts that hold the 3 springs and 4 posts that allow the h plate to float. They affect the way the spring works and how fast the springs rebound on cornering which has a direct affect on how the car accelerates off the corner, most people even guys who have been racing a longtime dont understand how springs in a slot car work. Body float affects how the car enters the corner and how late you can brake into a corner. Send me a pm Brett and I will be happy to help.

#32 Guest_jazzbell_*

• Guests

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:48 AM

Don't know where and who this rumour started and come from. When anyone comes to Adelaide to race the slotworx v8's the only motor that we run and race and have from day one is the fox 4 . NO OTHER MOTOR!!!

Somebody has miss read something else where because the EVO 25 K NSR IS ONLY IN THE SCALEAUTO as we have always done.

Get ya facts right Shane

#33 BigMick

Getting Bigger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

View Postjazzbell, on 13 February 2016 - 09:48 AM, said:

Don't know where and who this rumour started and come from. When anyone comes to Adelaide to race the slotworx v8's the only motor that we run and race and have from day one is the fox 4 . NO OTHER MOTOR!!!

Somebody has miss read something else where because the EVO 25 K NSR IS ONLY IN THE SCALEAUTO as we have always done.

Get ya facts right Shane

I think the rumor came from the facebook page for Thunderbirds a mistake by Chris which he corrected on the page because as you say Shane its fox 4for that class. But you know what the bloody rumors are like when they start to run

#34 Springbok Racer

....another 'has-been'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:35 PM

Hi guys,

Don't know how everyone else are going with their development of these cars. But at Ecurie Elite.au we have managed to drop more than 2/10ths on the laptimes from where we started.

Before anyone jumps to conclusions about motor choice, let me say, we have a good split between Fox4 and SRP25 motors, with very little to choose between the two - it is basically down to personal likes and dislikes.

We have mostly settled on 12T pinions and rear tyre diameters of around 25.5mm. Total car weight is around 160grams. Our racing is now extremely close and winning is more a matter of luck and traffic management than anything else.

Let us know what is working at your club/track.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer, 25 February 2016 - 03:36 PM.

#35 trophy

Kart Driver

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:22 AM

Hi Guys just started to play with this car, would like to know what make are the wheels & gears please.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users