Sign in to follow this  
Wobble

Pcb Chassis Advice

I'm considering building a PCB chassis for my Mercury Monterey. I intend to strip the copper from it. Because of the size of it I'm considering a NC5 sidewinder. Just wondering if someone has gone down this path and successfully built this type of chassis although it mightn't be as big. Any advice regarding cutting, gluing etc would be appreciated.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

This one is not PCB but Carbon fibre.

gallery_89_357_28266.jpg

You could use an HRS front bracket for axle and guide pivot for a simple build.

One of the young guys in our club built a carbon chassis years ago and just used super glue to hold pillar blocks set in the chassis.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Bolt on bits eh? Thanks guys, I didn't see that coming. Here's me thinking about fabricating parts.

Mobbzee, I take it the only thing holding your motor in place are the screws.

Edited by Wobble

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Bram,

the resin strength in PCB is almost extreme - try cutting the blasted stuff.

You can get un-coppered PCB if you search for it - not widely stocked - but it's out there.

Failing that, an overnight dunk in an acid bath will eat the copper away... if you want to make use of some of the copper for electrical purposes when you etch in acid - simply use a felt-tipped pen... then you can do a simple electrical track for LED lights etc... it's probably not good enough (unless you use the full width of the board) for any moderate power - and I probably would not recommend it for traction power... even the FF050's... maybe someone in here has...

frats,

Rosco

PCB is like resin, the dust is toxic.

I have only used it once with the copper side up and then soldered brass front and rear brackets to it. Solder quickly and solder once.

Strangely it was for one of those Pontiac GTO bodies

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Bolt on bits eh? Thanks guys, I didn't see that coming. Here's me thinking about fabricating parts.

yes at the moment, but i do have the other bit that holds the engine in on other end just havent put it on yet