rosco01

Pioneer

Love those ponies.... mine is coming... June/July is so, so far away... I can wait... got a few things "on" until then.

Chris - yes, some kits were probably put together to make sure all the parts were present. I can remember pulling them down again before cleaning up the flash and painting....

Even worse - sprues.. grrrrr.... but again - all the bits were there to be seen by the packer....

The Slot-It GT40 white kit was good - came in its own presentation box on completion... but this was full size - pity that sort of box can't be shipped as an assembly item as well.... a base, with all small parts fitted to the underside within the mount perimeter, large parts in some form of compact packaging - and all of it within a top section (half, for example) which, when completed - has the ends and sides extensions (separate compact set housed with the main body etc) added to make up the display box.....

The chassis - well, there's options worth consideration here as well - obviously the chassis length/width can't be reduced. The motor, gear sets, axles, wheels (with tyres fitted) guide can all be cleverly grouped to reduce space. This would, of course - involve not only assembly of the body - but also the chassis.... which for some - may curtail purchase... I can see, Jules - that some ideas are not negotiable....

With some clever arrangement (we need an engineer on board here - ever tried to put one of these cleverly packaged assemblies back into its packing?.... of course you have!) I could foresee that you could probably reduce the overall height by almost half.... and surely - that's an option to consider.

"Squares", are designed to be thought outside of - and often, all the work has already been done..... just need to look closely at what "clever" manufacturers/distributors are doing...... China does this very, very well....

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

Ah as a ex postie Jules always took notice of labels like fragile, this way up , handle with care but a lot of the time the label was the strongest part of the box a item was posted in, still like the clear plastic display box with the items of the kit CAREFULLY packed in side it . :o

Yeah I know the front spoiler isn't true to form , but it was in the parts box :P

geomuso%206.jpg

geomuso%204.jpg

Good job, Mopar. You even got a '67 body with the faux vents just rear of the door shuts.

That spoiler looks familiar, maybe the black/gold fastbacks?

Are the decals commercially available?

Jules

Thank's Jules . Decals are available from http://www.pattosplace.com/ . Front spoiler is a trimmed Scaley Mustang.

Body was originally the P006 Number 31 Mustang stripped and repainted .

Edited by mopar

Jules, my two Pioneer Camaro's are superb.

The body/paint/detail is simply exquisite.

I had to do quite a bit of work on the chassis with one of them... but all is good now.

This one would probably have bedded in well with a fair bit of running - but I can't help myself when it comes to looking for things which I can make better... and I did.

Adage of "if it ain't broken..." well, depends on how you see "broken"... no, it didn't fail - but I found minor issues and "fixed" them.

Again, great cars - thanks.... looking forward to the Pony's.

frats,

Rosco

a good comparison, Mopar. Problem is not only the nose/grill but the bonnet/hood goes all the way to the front edge. On the Camaro, the hood stops short.

Nope, it would have to be a new bodyshell.

Please send in your orders. I need to sell 3247 to break even.

Jules

That firebird looks great.

And if made by pioneer, you just know it will run/race well...

Just an update for those of you that prefer digital running, in particular the Carrera system. We have been working for a while on a uni-fit arrangement that will allow an easy installation of the Carrera digital board.

The starting point had to be the smallest car we are likely to produce, in this case the new Legends Racers.

Here is the footprint of a 26740 Carrera chip in place in a Legends chassis:

carrera%20digi%20legends_zpsoqotdqj5.jpg

Another neat thing is the design of a snap-fit board holder on the inside face of the Digital 'trap door' in order to hold the board in place. That'll save plenty of hot glue and temporary fix-ups. Another feature is the addition of the LED peep hole and polarity switch opening - this'll save plenty of hacking and reaming:-

Carrera%20chip%20adapter_zpsve2hymfp.jpg

It is a tight fit into the Legends chassis but will be fine in all other cars:

carrera%20digi%203_zpsct7qpkoi.jpg

This new part should prove to be an ideal aftermarket improvement for all Pioneer and Scalextric slot models that have the DPR ‘door’ hole already in the chassis.

carrera%20digi%20chip%202_zpsuppjkjuo.jpg

This product was bought to you by the new Slot Car Engineering Alliance (SCEA), a not-for-profit organisation promoting standard fitments in new designs and aftermarket slot car stuff! (This organisation will not suit you if you prefer to have zillions of different choices in axles, wheels, tires, motors, gears, chassis screws, braids, bearings, digital this and digital that, etc etc).

Jules

Now you're thinking, Jules.... hope the mega multi-nationals don't white-ant the Alliance.... with an "cui bono?" stance.

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

I'm not into digi chips but I'm just wondering what I can put this chassis in. Is it too early to give details like wheel base and track etc Jules?

Also, if those wheels will be standard issue I'm thinking they will come in useful too. They have that real race car look about them something akin to a Nascar wheel.

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Already had a great number of enquiries about the availability of this new chip holder so here’s a quick explanation…..

With regard to this new 'Carrera Decoder Holder' that I showed in the earlier post, we will be including one of these in the spares poly bag under the base of each model for at least the next two years. That means that in the near future, 10's of 1000's of them will be in circulation. The cost to Pioneer is negligible.

Wherever you currently now have a regular DPR ‘door’ that will take a Scalextric chip (in Scalextric & Pioneer cars), you will be able to swap it out for this new holder.

You can see from this next image, where we overlaid a Scalextric DPR board and merged it with a Carrera Decoder, that the new 'board holder' will act in pretty much the same way no matter what brand it is fitted into, it's just somewhere to keep the chips, that's all:-

merge%20of%20scalextric%20and%20carrera%20chip_zps9llb8m5t.jpg

I believe that common parts and sharing of crucial data will help streamline areas of this industry that are very bloated and unnecessarily complicated. Bespoke parts put an undue burden on the slotter's pockets and make the job of the retailer complex along with the added burden of trying to stock a massive inventory of slow selling, similar, items.

To demonstrate that I am firmly of the opinion that more interaction between Slot Car Makers would be beneficial to the entire industry, I will also be making certain data and know-how freely available to those that are interested.

We are working through all our future planned models and implementing changes. Here is a clue to one of them:-

36T%20ally%20gear_zpsvlvkznzg.jpg

Rosco, you mentioned that bigger fish might try to ‘white ant’ SCEA. I’m not sure they could be bothered. If they can’t work how this benefits all sales in the long run then they have not thought it through properly.

History tells us that, in many divergent industries, a reluctance to standardise and consolidate (where it makes good sense for the customer) often leads to the downfall of the stubborn parties.

I guess the real turning point may be the actual ceasing of slot car production by a current major player when they finally realise that the availability of ‘cheaply’ manufactured slot cars from China ended about 4 years ago and now the huge cost increases in China-made models can’t be hidden from the accounts bottom line any longer.

Jules

Jules,

I am somewhat comforted to learn that the SCEA has considerable and focused nous in this projected and perhaps now established consolidation.

By your "sneak preview" it would appear that a certain unnamed manufacturer is on board - and I applaud their decision to amalgamate.

Issues with models recently posted will be overcome by the replacement with parts from this reputable manufacturer.

I would be even further impressed if the associated parts to that shown from the same supplier are part of this review.

I do appreciate that for some considerable time, the consumer market has enjoyed very cheap access to quality models - and yes, the world's ever-changing monetary and trade values probably suggest some of them now to be unsustainable.

In this, it is highly likely that migration to a more economically viable location can sustain the market they have enjoyed. If this is the case, I would be ever hopeful that the very high standard of quality is not compromised.

I do very much hope, SCEA has a contingency plan set to include this manufacturer continuing with their very high quality product.

From my perspective - being ignorant to business practices and policies, particularly in the private sector and even further in international and political custom - SCEA would very much consolidate a firm footing, if not market leadership within the industry by the inclusion of this manufacturer.

It is my guess Jules, that forums such as we here in Auslot - particularly those of us who choose to swap out/modify proprietary models with componentry from other manufacturers to achieve better performing/more reliable outcomes - have been pivotal in SCEA making the quantum leap to take charge of future direction - and "me dips me lid to 'ya".

I further guess Jules, that there must be a researched world-wide established market - suggestive to support such burgeoned investment?

Like many of us, who only recently returned to the hobby after dormancy of decades - I believed for many years, that r/c and audio/visual simulations had all but killed off the sport.

I did witness some retailers continuing to furnish their shelves with slot-car stock and gained some comfort in the knowledge that it was still "out there".

To many here, who this insane passion effectively takes possession of our resources, time and what at times would suggest - souls, we cannot appreciate that "everyone" is aware the slot car fellowship is "alive and kicking"... and, it would be my suggestion to include some general population broadcasting beyond our apparent sanctum to those who are surely ignorant of such a continued and expanding existence.

There must be huge numbers out there who would re-kindle their former youthful passion - not to mention the opportunity of attracting and involving younger generations who "missed out" on this great sport once r/c and computer generated gaming devices were established.

Perhaps, just perhaps - the current trend of younger generations (and some older ones too) to sadly join the ranks of obesity, may benefit and enjoy a more "streamlined" physique and healthier cardio-vascular status - through the necessity of physical exertion to "marshal" an errant model and return to their "driver station" - rather than simply press the "reset" button on an audio visual controller/screen.....not to mention the geometrical planning and physical necessities of track building - as opposed to simply "choosing" a landscape/venue.

Further disciplines like maintenance and repairs promote such life-learned skills in so many facets beyond the hobby.

Further, as we have posted on numerous occasions within this forum to new members - this hobby is one of a declining number which afford "family" bonding.. one where many differing "values" - not only of monetary perspective, but also of personal conduct, participation and respect can be developed and nurtured.

Sadly, modern society has become so insulative and secular - that it has become difficult in parenting to find such a fitting vessel where all members of the family can become equally involved - and benefit through sharing the varying roles and learn common respect..... not forgetting grand-parents, as many of us are.

So, in closing Jules - I again applaud SCEA for making this huge investment in direction to avail us of high quality, value-for-money and common based models.. a risk I very much doubt will go unrewarded.

I would also like to publicly announce my appreciation for your confidence in sharing this information with us, Jules - again, I believe you will enjoy nothing but respect and marketing reward for these acts of cordiality - thank you.

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

Oops, forgot Jules.... three questions.

Is the spur a 36t?

Does the wheel illustrated have a grub screw?

Is axle diameter 3/32".

Nosey, aren't I?

I will neither be offended nor take a dim view should any/all of these go unanswered.

frats,

Rosco

Edited by rosco01

There certainly are some good ones there, CfromC. Let me know if a body shell is calling you!

I hope you are doing OK.

Jules

This is going back a few posts Pioneer but this one is calling me real LOUD!!!

It's the Russell Wright Mustang. If you Google that there are some pretty nice images.

Also, it's got #55 on the door and that makes it even cooler. Any car with 55 on it is fair game for me and even better if I like how it looks.

And with the Javelin on the horizon the minilites will be ready for this too.

55-Nc-1968-MUSTANG4940A_zpscr6iqvhh.jpg

Edited by Wobble

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

That is sweet . We need scoops/ducts. One thing missing from the slotcar world that is prevalent in Model railway world is the lack of accessories / addons for customizing.