rosco01

Pioneer

Wobble, pre 2013 the axle spline was in a slightly different position. This is the latest spec:-

46.50mm%20rear%20axle_zpsvrku66hk.jpg

Will get parts out to you tomorrow.

Jules

Jules, these are the ones I have thanks.

Edited by Wobble

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Can't wait for the Mustang White kits re-release- we run a Muscle Car series for Scalex and Pioneer 'Muscle cars.' I was the only racer to run a Pioneer (Gurney Mustang) and won the series. Wouldn't happen to have a 69 Mustang Fastback on the cards??The Scalex one doesn't do it justice - especially next to a 68 Pioneer Mustang!!

boss_302's_son : Good to hear you did well with the Gurney '68 Notchback.

A '69/'70 Mustang from Pioneer? Of course, it could be done but would a Pioneer version really catch on? Over the last 13 years or so I would estimate that Scalextric have produced in excess of 80,000 units of their version in various guises including all the most famous liveries. I'd need some convincing that such a project would be commercially viable.

Of course, with the 'kits', we have in stock all the parts required to issue these again. Quite simply it is a matter of packaging. The first issue kits were supplied with proper display bases and crystal lids. The bulk and weight of this packaging was far in excess of what was really required. We are working on a more simple style that will give you all you need at a much nicer price.

Mopar: The fact that these 1st issue kits command a high price does demonstrate a demand for the product. I know there are plenty of collectors that have a few of these stashed away. What is very interesting with kits (and not just slot car kits) is how many get bought but never actually get built. Personally I have a hoard of kits purchased over the last 30 years that I "intend to build some rainy day". But when? Plenty of rainy days in Little Britain but the kits remain untouched. I just like having them ready. i already tried cracking a few open to encourage my 13 year old lad to build one up. That was a waste of time. Attention span of a flea!

Jules

Jules, would blister packs be suitable packaging for the kits? I'd have thought most would be purchased by racers that want to run their own livery. But I guess people will buy anything and ferret it away for some mythical future when it may be worth something.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

And while you're answering Embers question would you answer this as well please Jules? Ever thought of adding a 65-66 Notchback to the range?

I know they're very similar to the 67-68 but just not the same. Did I say PLEASE? Actually, I'll put my name down for one just to start the ball rolling.

66%20Notchback_zpsab5sadgl.jpg

Edited by Wobble

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

Blister packs are certainly an option, Ember. The packaging would need to be openable to check contents but then straightforward enough to wrap back up again. We are swaying towards the 'box o chocs' look, like this:-

Notchy%20kit-3_11%20sml_zpsmtfmd7zg.jpg

That sort of packaging allows for contemplation and deliberation without necessarily taking action. Planning your kit build can take years, y'know.

Jules

Wobble, The 65/66 could be considered but like any other new tool plan it would need to have a couple of 'must have' liveries to get the model noticed. I have not actively checked this one out. If you have any suggestions........?

The other problem is one of demographics. It's all very well the middle aged owners of smaller slot car co's making the stuff they like (and get a few requests for) but the 60's was an awful long time ago. Over the next few years the models from yesteryear will become less and less sellable. Five years ago I knew I was pushing it going back to the mid 60's to draw in a buyer. I do think that I need to start looking at 70's/80's onwards.

On the other hand, I think that retro cool is still very sellable. It would be very interesting to hear from someone, say aged 28-34, who just got back into slots after the normal wife/house/kids hiatus and see what that guy is looking for in a slot car.

Jules

The choc box certainly looks better than a blister pack, and I suppose it is recyclable. I just wondered if something like the blister pack that MSC used for their kits where the rear cardboard can be slid off for access. Thought it might be cheaper to produce and take less warehouse real estate. But I suppose they wouldn't be readily stackable.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I like the look of the choc box - probably more expensive to make but to me it is appealing - who doesn't like the idea of opening a box. Probably more expensive to make and/or ship.

Waiting patiently for the legends - did I hear July as the release date? This will be the OMG product for the year without a doubt.

Most other manufacturers allow pre-order of a model, then determine interest based on pre-orders from distributors. They'll generally make what is pre-ordered and perhaps accept some risk by making more......

Miveson, I think you are correct with the choc box. Nice to have but pricey to make and ship. Gonna have to chew that one over.

Aiming for July on these Legend Racers. I have pressed the button. The first two models will be these:-

'34 Chevy Sedan

37%20chevy_zpstgtfc6rf.jpg

and

'34 Ford Coupe

34%20ford_zpsieunkyis.jpg

Just in the middle of some Chassis mods to the tooling to see if we can make it easier to nail in a Carrera Digi chip. Losing many sales in Europe as Carrera Digital is very dominant in that sector.

The Legend Racers had better be well received otherwise I may need to reconsider my self appointed position at the top of the table. These models are somewhat out of the comfort zone of Muscle cars but I have a hunch they will be great fun and might well catch on - the only real problem being that there is nothing to race them against. They will need to race Pioneer Legends against Pioneer Legends. Now that is either a smart move or a foolish one and only time will tell......

Cheers,

Jules

well I most certainly think they are awesome

could run them with carrera hot rods maybe

I would love to own one

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Here's a bit of Trans Am eye candy - historic trans am - http://www.historict...m.com/Cars.html

The black and gold #89 '66 Mustang would possibly be my no-1 choice although the #34 in its current livery is striking as well..

Fords 1st win, Tom Yeager/ Bob Johnson - http://www.historict...isWheatley.html

Fords201st20win_zpstqkzn4tz.jpg

Jim Whelan and Pete Dock - http://www.historict...6Mustang89.html

Jim%20Whelan_zpsaekfaguf.jpg

ps. the legends look like a bunch of fun too.

Edited by Wobble

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

I think you would be on a winner with these two , Jules. Considering the Scaley versions are pretty much collectors items Scaleys Brut33 wasn't/isn't true to form anyway without those flared guards

amtransam_brut.jpgBrut.jpg

Allan-Moffat-Mustang.jpg

Wobble - you just need to find another 5-10k people willing to buy one..........

Yeah, I might be the only one that likes them!

bram1_zpsfkhrhndv.jpg

There's really little point in remaking something that is already out there, no matter how poorly Scaley migmight've done it for so long. I'm sure Jules has a few secret plans up his sleeve for future developments.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Jules, please add me to your list of white kit pony's... June/July, I believe.

I'll order through my regular retailer.. but they need to know they will be available.

I'm about to order an Alan Green Camaro through them... this will be my first Pioneer..

As for the '34's... yes, although they don't press any really loud buttons for me... I believe my grandkids (including my 4th grand-child - aka my eldest son) will simply drool over them....

I read a thread on kit-bashing a 1/24 midget some time back.... in 1/32 - this "speedway" type of car would be something I believe would market well... but, Jules - "I" believe - not necessarily the general slot population..

And - packaging for such a small unit could be in the form of two per box.... what else would you race it against which wouldn't throw it into the boon-docks...?

Speaking of chocolate box packaging.. no, sorry folk - not me... I simply don't have the room to store so many large boxes... remember the days of VHS tapes.... I am guessing there's not one of us who don't have a wardrobe full of the blasted things... chocolate boxes would take up a lot of room per model... I like it simple... an RTR in a current display box.... a kit in a blister pack would suit me fine... and then chase up a display box to put it in when completed.

frats,

Rosco

I like the idea of the Legends, but you'd have to include the modern bodies we have here too. Seriously though, what happened to the AMC Javelin?

Thanks for all the comments - all duly noted.

I like the idea of a 'Big' Boss 302. Was there any other livery apart from the Brut version that ran wide and low?

difinity, there are only two of us driving the CAD station and time has been eaten lately making the Legends chassis amendments. For the Javelin, it is mostly completed. I hope to finished the pre-flight checks on the interior clearances this week. Currently have the model in cut-away checking chipset clearance, like this:-

cutaway%20javvy_zpsvfxxpvhr.jpg

It is probably now a race against Scalextric to tooling. Hornby will not disregard the Javelin for much longer.

Jules

There was a wide and low version of the red I think. Maybe a wide and low kit ,people could do there own.

HI Jules,

excited now - just ordered the #7 and #8 Alan Green Comaro's.... through AR.. should be here by the end of this week...

These will be my 60th birthday present.... and no, that is not in years to come.....

frats,

Rosco